ANY IDEAS WHY?

More
03 Apr 2009 16:40 #278167 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic ANY IDEAS WHY?
Grantl wrote:

I know this will sound dumb, but try starting the bike, let it warm up then shut it off. Disconnect the throttle cable from the hand-grip then restart the bike. This will eliminate the short cable issue that I had... This drove me crazy for a long time. I had put on a new motionpro cable. It was the one called out for my bike, but was just a hair short, just short enough to not allow the carbs to completely close, thus a high idle.
Sounds too simplistic, but you can eliminate it as a possible cause.
Grant.

i had the SAME problem with motion pro cables, so i went with nos....i m gonna revisit this weekend...thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Apr 2009 17:29 #278177 by HerrDeacon
Replied by HerrDeacon on topic ANY IDEAS WHY?
Have you bounced it off George? I'm sure he'd like to know you're having issues after he worked on the carbs. He'd give you a few things to check out.

More
03 Apr 2009 17:32 #278178 by Russ Jackson
Replied by Russ Jackson on topic ANY IDEAS WHY?
Pull off a pod and see if the slides are down. I bet the throttle isnt closing all the way...Russ

1976 KZ 900 B1 29 smoothbores, Kerker, Lester Mags
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 abs

More
03 Apr 2009 18:17 #278186 by keith1
Russ Jackson wrote:

Pull off a pod and see if the slides are down. I bet the throttle isnt closing all the way...Russ

will do this weekend.....thanks guys...keep em coming....keith

More
03 Apr 2009 18:18 #278189 by keith1
HerrDeacon wrote:

Have you bounced it off George? I'm sure he'd like to know you're having issues after he worked on the carbs. He'd give you a few things to check out.

i will do that also.......

More
04 Apr 2009 13:54 #278385 by keith1
well i m still stumped....i fired it up this morning....choked it, hit button, fired right up, sat at 2500 with choke half on, let it run that way for 30 secs, killed choke and it idled at 1000.....as soon as it started to warm up and i played with throttle, back to the same old crap...
i adj cables so they had extra play..not the problem..i pulled ignition adv and relubed it, bought a 14 dollar timing lite at harbor freight and monkeyed with timing...i took it for a 3 mile circle in am and after playing with timing, it seems to pull a little better on the second 3 mile circle....i did hear what sounds like someone throwing pebbles at a pc of tin @ 5500.....i m guessing detonation so i put in some octane booster
and it already had 93 octane fresh in it....i have one question though. at 1000 or 900, if you monkey with throttle to keep it going, it just sounds noisy up top....can a cam chain be too tight?....if this motor wasnt shimmed right, could it be a contributing factor.....machinist shimmed it,but i m wondering if it could be a problem...everybody makes mistakes.....above 2k its smooth and runs damn good aside from the pebble noise..
sooner or later, this will get solved...untill then....ggggrrrrrrrrrr........

More
04 Apr 2009 14:50 #278390 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic ANY IDEAS WHY?
My motor pings and runs crappy with too much octane. Likes reg gas and oil. There is also a lot of mech noise in these engines at low rpm. At 55oo I don't get much noise. Do you have a manual APE cam chain tightener or the stock one? Are you sure she is hitting on all 4? I got a great in-line wire checker. Plugs onto the sparkplug and into the wire. It lights up to see it firing. Got it at Harbor Freight for less than $10. Other than that I guess a compression check would be in order. Got in line gas filter on it?

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
04 Apr 2009 15:34 #278400 by keith1
Locozuna wrote:

My motor pings and runs crappy with too much octane. Likes reg gas and oil. There is also a lot of mech noise in these engines at low rpm. At 55oo I don't get much noise. Do you have a manual APE cam chain tightener or the stock one? Are you sure she is hitting on all 4? I got a great in-line wire checker. Plugs onto the sparkplug and into the wire. It lights up to see it firing. Got it at Harbor Freight for less than $10. Other than that I guess a compression check would be in order. Got in line gas filter on it?

i have two of the small in line high flow(?) filters...one for each feed line...i have the manual ape tensioner....from what i can tell, she's hitting all 4...no spit from pipe, no pops on decell....i would imagine i could take my timing lite and test each wire to see if it lites up strobe?......on the compression check, they are brandy new mtc 10.5 to 1 forged pistons with the head all redone....i was using the kicker by hand to line up the timing marks and she s got compression!!.....i think that will only get better with time as this motor has very little run time on it.....the good thing is i dont have drop of oil anywhere.....thats a good thing.........keith

More
04 Apr 2009 15:53 #278403 by keith1
i just went and pulled plugs 1 and 4..(cause they are easy!).....dark tan on curved part(electrode?) and a little black on the last 2 or 3 threads of plug...
they look alright to me.......wtf?

More
04 Apr 2009 16:37 #278410 by keith1
i can now get it to idle down low, but it sounds
like a clackity special and i hear that from every part of the motor.....ggggrrrrrr....o k...time to walk away and hit the canadian club.....tommorows another day....its better than it was 24 hrs ago, but something here just aint right......walk away....just walk away.....:angry:

More
04 Apr 2009 17:57 #278431 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic ANY IDEAS WHY?
I would back off the timing a little and take it for a long ride.
Seems when i do carb work the bike runs better after a few miles. I usally will be backing the idle screw down at every stop light.

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
04 Apr 2009 18:06 #278433 by keith1
thanks roy.....i told my father in law who was around today , that i thought it needed to be run and see what happens......i have an email to wg and am awaiting his response.....i think tommorow i am going to try to put at least 50 miles on it and see what happens.....at the very least, the rings should be well seated.....we will see how it goes......