ANY IDEAS WHY?

More
04 Apr 2009 18:37 #278437 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic ANY IDEAS WHY?
"clackity special and i hear that from every part of the motor"....

Ok, let me get a better understanding here....

All you've done was get your carbs worked on and installed them and it starts but clakity noises now....

Nothing else was done on this motor since then... :dry:
I just can't see how the carbs would cause motor clak...

Assumption is it ran well before the carb work, no motor noises as such, no cam or cam chain adjustments where made, no head work etc.... Maybe lack of lubrication, hows the oil level?

Speaking of which, has the cam chain adjustment been made?

Weird indeed...

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2009 18:59 #278444 by Russ Jackson
Replied by Russ Jackson on topic ANY IDEAS WHY?
My bike was running stupid at the begining but after a couple hundren miles it ran better ande better. Go over a few speed bumps and rr tracks it seems to help. Run some Seafoam thru the tank...Russ

1976 KZ 900 B1 29 smoothbores, Kerker, Lester Mags
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 abs

More
04 Apr 2009 19:19 #278448 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic ANY IDEAS WHY?
I just fixed the exact same problem last weekend on my KZ650. The bike would run great but after idling for a few mintues it would eventually start idling really bad then die. It turned out be the manifolds. They looked fine and I wasn't able to locate a leak using several techniques so I assumed the manifolds were fine but seeing I had tried everything else I took them off. I cleaned the manifold seal surface really good along with head sealing surface. I applied a generous amount of Yamabond, not silicone on the manifold sealing surface. I then bolted the manifolds back on waited overnight and re-installed the carbs. Boy what a difference that made. It idles smooth and steady like it did years ago. I guess the problems kinda creaps up over time and you really don't notice it. I also noticed the bike starts a lot easier when cold.

More
05 Apr 2009 08:05 #278580 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic ANY IDEAS WHY?
Russ Jackson wrote:

My bike was running stupid at the begining but after a couple hundren miles it ran better ande better. Go over a few speed bumps and rr tracks it seems to help. Run some Seafoam thru the tank...Russ

waiting for the wife to do her thing so i can go out for a while......it doesnt seem to be as bad today....i think this thing just might need a little road time......
Attachments:

More
05 Apr 2009 08:05 #278581 by keith1
another pic
Attachments:

More
05 Apr 2009 08:08 #278583 by keith1
Attachments:

More
05 Apr 2009 08:36 #278593 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic ANY IDEAS WHY?
Nice lookn' steed! Hope she settles in.

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
05 Apr 2009 08:39 #278595 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic ANY IDEAS WHY?
Try unhooking cables or making them real loose and look and see if carbs are physically closing and linkage not binding up?

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
05 Apr 2009 08:57 #278597 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic ANY IDEAS WHY?
The idle is one thing to get working but I'd be more concern with this clakity sounds throughout the motor...

Maybe just a lack of lubrication until the pressure builds up to bring the oil up to the cams/idler assembly....

Even so, at idle being at what it's at, should only take a couple of seconds to 1 minute to accomplish once started...

OMR no likey clakity clak sounds in a motor....:blink:

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
05 Apr 2009 11:22 #278626 by keith1
well, i just got back and other than this idle thing, bike runs good.....2.5-3 lbs oil pressure at 4k , pulls ok and is very smooth......got the first"nice bike".....from a young lad , no less....
it seems the more i run it, the better it runs...53 here today and windy....got 40 miles in and my hands got numb....not one hiccup,fart, backfire, or anything to make me think anything obvious is wrong except for the fact below 2k, idle speed is a varying affair....oh well, we will see what develops.....thanks guys......

More
05 Apr 2009 11:24 #278627 by keith1
Old Man Rock wrote:

The idle is one thing to get working but I'd be more concern with this clakity sounds throughout the motor...

Maybe just a lack of lubrication until the pressure builds up to bring the oil up to the cams/idler assembly....

Even so, at idle being at what it's at, should only take a couple of seconds to 1 minute to accomplish once started...

OMR no likey clakity clak sounds in a motor....:blink:

dave,
maybe clackity is not the proper description of what i hear....even when it sounds like crap at 1k,
i have a pound of oil pressure...i m gonna try to do a vid with camera and see if i can post it......keith

More
06 Apr 2009 20:46 #279070 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic ANY IDEAS WHY?
I'll bet the "clakiting" sound goes away when the RPM's go up. This sound is usually heard at idle on poorly tuned bikes. It is the primary chain making all the noise because the cylinders are not firing in synch with each other. After a good tune up involving carb synching and idle screw adjusted properly the sound goes away. I'm telling you your problem is a vacumn leak between sealing surface of the intake manifolds and the cylinder head.