Insurance

More
10 Nov 2015 07:59 #698055 by jakedude
Replied by jakedude on topic Insurance

kaw-a-holic wrote: I was transporting the flag from MT to ID. I was actually across the Idaho border. I had a deer jump out in front of me on a tight corner. By the time I grabbed enough brake to avoid the deer ,I didn't have enough road left. The road was freshly chip sealed and had a lot of loose gravel. Once the front wheel was on the gravel it was game over. Front wheel slid hit the guard rail and shot me out to the middle of the road.

Collisions with deer are covered under comprehensive not collision. Comprehensive is much cheaper than collision. So get comprehensive and always say you hit a deer. ;)

I hit a dear on my GL1500 Goldwing riding two up with my wife. The three point buck jumped a barbed wire fence at full gallop like it was in a steeplechase race. i was going 50 mph on an uphill curve. I only had time to straighten the bike out before impact. Luckily only the buck's head and neck got in front of the bike. The GL1500 weighs 900 lbs and with me an my wife on board total weight was about 1200 lbs. The front faring is attached to the bike frame so I didn't even feel the impact. One big smack and the deer was dead and spinning in the road. My wife didn't even see the deer and asked me over the intercom what that noise was. The front faring, headlight assembly, blinkers, and side panels were toast. That's what I get for riding a plastic bike I guess. My comprehensive paid for the $4500 repair bill accept $50. I only paid $5000 for the bike. I was surprised they simply didn't total it out.

Since I generally buy used bikes and fix them myself, most of my insurance dollars go to bodily injury. Both to myself and others involved. Remember, the others involved can sue you into the poor house if not financial slavery. So buy insurance.

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Nov 2015 09:00 #698066 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Insurance

Remember, the others involved can sue you into the poor house if not financial slavery. So buy insurance.

Exactly!

And that is the only reason I have insurance. Damaged vehicles can be repaired or scrapped and life goes on but personal injury is a different story.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

• Olajoe
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Free at last
More
10 Nov 2015 17:16 #698141 by Olajoe
Replied by Olajoe on topic Insurance
Maybe it's different with age but as a younger driver that sr22 is like hitting a brick wall. Thinking back avoiding getting caught wasn't an issue it get to a point there's just too much vehicles and not enough roads.. And why the need to have proof of insurance when you the one that got crashed into? There was no such thing as text messaging now surrounded surrounded by driving texters. And that's already illegal here. Either you get the insurance or you protect yourself and get more hp. :) what are the options.

[quote=781679956916

"redhawk4" post=697392]I recently switched my older bikes to Hagerty when getting insurance for my recently acquired KZ1000. Previously I had all of them with Geico, I left my BMW and Honda XR650L with Geico as they are modern machines. With Hagerty I got guaranteed value, comprehensive cover etc. for $210 a year for 3 bikes, my 78 Kz1000A2, 77 Kz650B1 and my 73 Triumph Tiger 750 - about what I was paying for just the two with Geico. Hagerty's coverage was better for these bikes too. The only thing I didn't get was the roadside coverage, which is something I may add at some stage, but I do have a motorcycle trailer and a cell phone so unless I start taking some longer trips that's not really an issue.

In Utah we have Vintage registrations, unfortunately not for motorcycles which is silly IMO, so keeping everything registered for the road with a safety and renewal fees is pretty pricey. I keep meaning to complain to some politician regarding not being able to get the Vintage registration for bikes, I thought when I got my Triumph it was a given as it was 40 years old, but the DMV soon burst my bubble. As Ron KZ650 points out, the cost per mile can become outrageous with some of these bikes that only get ridden occasionally.

Here in Utah if you get caught without insurance then you get into quite a bit of trouble plus they require you to get SR22 insurance that means suddenly you are paying thousands for all your vehicles for this insurance. A friend of mine got caught riding his brothers scooter having been wrongly informed as to what cc's you could ride on a car license, then the insurance wasn't valid, they ended up after all the fines etc. paying $1000 a month to insure the family's vehicles for the 3 years? or however long you have to have it for. I don't know the laws in other states, but if you start trying to cheat the system it can be very costly if you are unlucky one day and get pulled over. So you are between a rock and a hard place between the insurance and fees versus getting caught and prosecuted.[/quote]

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
10 Nov 2015 18:04 #698151 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Insurance
There are those that spout a right to transportation. They can drive without anything. No use trying to talk to them. I just tell them I hope I don't get hit by them. They have nothing and can cause the same for you. Doesn't matter who they are, the attitude is the same.
Steve

More
11 Nov 2015 13:25 #698258 by Noslack
Replied by Noslack on topic Insurance
I have two 73 z1 900's insured with Hagerty Insurance for an agreed value after getting dropped by Progressive a few years back. Much rather have an insurance company that understands what a collector bike is vs a daily rider! Values for each bike are significantly different due to serial numbers and Hagerty understands that. So far so good! Too big a risk not to have them insured for replacement cost.