Insurance

More
02 Nov 2015 18:42 #696963 by Xl ED
Replied by Xl ED on topic Insurance
Sorry I didn't mean to offend anyone. In my country Canada, insurance rates are crippling. In America it seems like you are getting a great deal. I don't hate Americans. In some ways I wished we could be more like you.
My son, 18, priced out insurance on a 1981 Honda Hawk. 400 ccs. $10000 per year he was told. If they could find someone to carry him. Paid $600 for the bike. Bike was sold shortly after.

I don't live to ride, I ride to live.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Nov 2015 19:43 #696969 by punisher11b
Replied by punisher11b on topic Insurance

Xl ED wrote: My son, 18, priced out insurance on a 1981 Honda Hawk. 400 ccs. $10000 per year he was told. If they could find someone to carry him. Paid $600 for the bike. Bike was sold shortly after.

:blink: wow, that is insane. Not that it's recommend but where I'm from (Montana) motorcycles are not even required to be insured. Which is just silly because it's already dirt cheap to insure my little KZs! :whistle:

- good luck

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
03 Nov 2015 02:46 #696979 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Insurance
Trying not to be too political, they'll have to peel my cold dead fingers off my gun and I'll ride without insurance if the left makes it $10,000 a year. That's just plain NUTS.
Steve

More
03 Nov 2015 07:18 #697012 by SmokyOwl
Replied by SmokyOwl on topic Insurance
Where tf are you guys gettin' your insurance so low???? I'm payin' ~$350 a year on my KZ1100, I don't remember exactly; it was definately over 300, maybe it was over 400 though for full coverage.

1982 Kawasaki KZ1100 A2, Shaft

Never trade the thrill of living for the safety of existance.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
03 Nov 2015 08:14 #697017 by SWest
Try Geico. Being I've been driving for over 40 years, clean driving record and with a LE discount, plus slightly above the minimum, mine is cheap for the bike and the truck. My daughter pays about the same for one car.
Steve

• Olajoe
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Free at last
More
03 Nov 2015 13:08 - 03 Nov 2015 13:11 #697069 by Olajoe
Replied by Olajoe on topic Insurance
I had terrible rates but i guess you could say I worked hard to get them. In a short time our area went from no enforcement to strictly by book license insurance and then the slammer after repeat offenses. It got bad enough there was a black market for insurance cards.

Last edit: 03 Nov 2015 13:11 by Olajoe.

• Olajoe
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Free at last
More
03 Nov 2015 13:13 #697070 by Olajoe
Ironically you can rack up dui's and keep driving. Get caught without insurance oh oh too late to call geico

• Olajoe
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Free at last
More
03 Nov 2015 13:18 #697072 by Olajoe

SmokyOwl wrote: Where tf are you guys gettin' your insurance so low???? I'm payin' ~$350 a year on my KZ1100, I don't remember exactly; it was definately over 300, maybe it was over 400 though for full coverage.

I got it from the commercial. The one that is always on. Compared to 15-20 years ago it's like someone saying okay let this guy out. He's been grounded long enough.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
03 Nov 2015 13:29 #697075 by SWest
In my terrible twenties I was good at spotting Smokey. Now I don't worry about it. 75 in a 70 isn't too bad as long the other DF's are doping 80 and above. I was pulled over and told the cop I was keeping up with traffic. He told me I was the leader of the pack. Gave me a break though, 73 in a 65.
Thanks buddy. :angry:
Steve

More
03 Nov 2015 14:17 #697079 by SmokyOwl
Replied by SmokyOwl on topic Insurance
Lately I've been speeding a LOT....like doing 20 over the limit is a normal starting point for speeding. I was pulled over last week doing 60 in a 35 going through roundabouts at about 35-40. The state trooper pulled me over, did a dui test as I admitted I drank one shot of JD. I blew a 0.0 and he sent me on my way with a warning of doing 1-10mph over the limit. Born lucky I guess lol. I thought for sure I was done. I gotta keep the speed down, I'm gunna get nailed to the wall one day.

1982 Kawasaki KZ1100 A2, Shaft

Never trade the thrill of living for the safety of existance.

More
03 Nov 2015 14:48 #697081 by jakedude
Replied by jakedude on topic Insurance
In Washington State there is no requirement to have insurance on your motorcycle. All other motor vehicles you are required. I don't recommend riding without it, but I did when I was young. I used to speed quite a bit in my youth as well. I generally keep it under 10 mph over the posted limit. That seems to be the real speed limit any way.

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
03 Nov 2015 15:26 #697084 by SWest
Before I got my kids, I went to the Pop A Top. Hadn't been there for two years. Everyone wanted to buy me a drink. I bought a beer with a Vodka Martini extra dry. Just wave the vermouth bottle over it. :whistle: Next thing I knew they kept coming. After 5 I decided to leave. I got four blocks and was pulled over. The deputy put me through the routine and said "Mr West, you're marginal. I could arrest you." I told him what happened and told him all I want to do is go home and feed my dogs pointing at the 50 Lb bag strapped to my seat. He let me go telling me if he saw me again that night I'd go to jail. No problem, I stopped going to bars and have no desire to. :dry:
Close one though. :blink:
Steve