Insurance

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
28 Oct 2015 17:09 - 28 Oct 2015 17:11 #696340 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Insurance
The biggest problem are the others on the road. Not only do you have stupid drivers, you have elderly, kid racers, cell phone users, angry drivers that will try to run you off the road and accidents of all kinds. I've dodged tires, lumber, ladders, etc. The most common comment in a car to bike accident is "I didn't see him" as if that makes it all right. If it were to happen, the bike is the last thing to think about. In my case in 86, I was lucky to be alive. I was expected to be in the hospital for four months. I checked myself out in two weeks. They didn't even wash the blood out of my hair. The first night I got stuck in the bath tub. I managed to roll myself out but I was alone. I called the wrecking yard to see how much it would cost to get my bike out. $300. By the time I got there the next day, the carbs were off and it was obvious it was being stripped. I got it all back except the keys. A little over a year later it was back on the road. No one thought it would be. All out of pocket. They didn't have insurance nor did I.
This time I did and things were different. Replacement value. :whistle:
Steve
Last edit: 28 Oct 2015 17:11 by SWest.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Olajoe
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Free at last
More
28 Oct 2015 17:16 - 28 Oct 2015 18:00 #696341 by Olajoe
Replied by Olajoe on topic Insurance
My last post on this. the agreed upon value (AUV) is in the best interest of the principle not the client. In thinking about this, it's a bench mark to assign cost. NOWAY they'll pay anything close to the declared AUV they would be broke from inflation. So they'll nickle and dime you (claims adjuster role call) and assume you don't have the documentation. Assuming you have the docs, the difference in prems would be offset out-of-pocket by having the appraisals done vs just going with a lower AUV. In closing, put that money towards pods, rejetting, and megapipes. The economy could use it. Sorry, i writing this simulataneously as the entry ahead. Frankly, insurance it's the law everywhere i know. Sure was neat back in the day not having to think bout it.

Last edit: 28 Oct 2015 18:00 by Olajoe.

More
28 Oct 2015 19:16 #696352 by Shabba
Replied by Shabba on topic Insurance

Olajoe wrote: My last post on this. the agreed upon value (AUV) is in the best interest of the principle not the client. In thinking about this, it's a bench mark to assign cost. NOWAY they'll pay anything close to the declared AUV they would be broke from inflation. So they'll nickle and dime you (claims adjuster role call) and assume you don't have the documentation. Assuming you have the docs, the difference in prems would be offset out-of-pocket by having the appraisals done vs just going with a lower AUV. In closing, put that money towards pods, rejetting, and megapipes. The economy could use it. Sorry, i writing this simulataneously as the entry ahead. Frankly, insurance it's the law everywhere i know. Sure was neat back in the day not having to think bout it.

I had Progressive in 2008. My wife was run off the road and the shitstain did a duck and run. Fortunately, a good person stopped and told the officer that responded someone had pushed her off the road. My wife was in the hospital for several days and the 1983 280zx she was driving, in excellent shape, was totaled. Progressive tried to give me about $1500 for the car. I was able to show that the replacement value far exceeded the "current market value" and doubled the money. On top of that, I bought the car back for $200 (Scrap value) and sold parts off of it to the tune of about a grand. Her shoulder has never been the same and it took a while for my supervisor to get over the fact my service pistol was in the car with her and not with me, but we did ok because I bucked on the insurance company. You can't do that now here in Virginia. You have to have an agreed upon value as has been mentioned here. I have Geico for my GPZ and they allow an AUV so long as I can justify it. They inspected the bike and allowed me $4k as the ceiling. 40 years old, married, non-smoker, one speeding in the past 3 years, prior LEO and I pay $35 a month.

Not too shabby.

-Colin

-82 GPZ750
-15 Yamaha FZ-09
-00 Suzuki TL1000S
-13 Nissan Nismo Juke

• Olajoe
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Free at last
More
29 Oct 2015 13:21 #696450 by Olajoe
Replied by Olajoe on topic Insurance
agreed on the justified auv. For those with a lot at stake, custom paint, modified, tricked out look into it as members have previously mentioned. I'm looking at in terms of completely stock, not sure if this is the right term right now but like an intrinsic value or maybe sentimental value something along those lines.

More
31 Oct 2015 02:36 #696601 by Xl ED
Replied by Xl ED on topic Insurance
Did I ever tell you I hate you feckin Americans and your insurance. My girl and I have. Bike each. 04 and 05 bikes. $1600/year. Don't even try to add a third bike. It's the reason the KZ never made the road this year.

I don't live to ride, I ride to live.

More
31 Oct 2015 08:59 - 31 Oct 2015 09:00 #696629 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Insurance
You hate feckin' Americans?
Why are you even here? Why not just get out if you feel this way?
I certainly don't give a rat's ass with that bullshit attitude.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado
Last edit: 31 Oct 2015 09:00 by missionkz.

More
31 Oct 2015 09:21 #696630 by pete greek1
Replied by pete greek1 on topic Insurance

missionkz wrote: You hate feckin' Americans?

I believe he was just being sarcastic, because we Americans pay much less for insurance, than he has to pay in his Country,
Pete

1980 LTD 1000..,1976 LTD 900, have the 1000&900 now. the rest are previous= 1978 KZ 650 B.., 1980 Yamaha XT 500..,1978 Yamaha DT 400.., 1977 Yamaha yz 80..,Honda trail ct 70.., Honda QA 50...5-1/2 hp brigs & straton CAT chopper mini bike...3-1/2 hp mini bike (WHEN GAS WAS ABOUT 45 CENTS A GALLON)!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZQ

More
31 Oct 2015 09:33 #696632 by OutsiderKZ900A4
Replied by OutsiderKZ900A4 on topic Re:Insurance
My 2000 ZX12R Ninja, 2008 Triumph T100 Bonneville, 1976 KZ900, 1972 Kawasaki S2 and 1974 Kawasaki H1 are about $275 a year. The limits aren't the lowest or highest but somewhere in the middle and the Ninja and Bonneville have comprehensive coverage with a $500 deductible. Can't complain too much. If I used the KZ and the triples more I would probably look into coverage with a company specializing in classic bikes.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
31 Oct 2015 09:58 #696634 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Re:Insurance
As much as I don't like paying for insurance, the close call made me a believer in it. Like Mick said, he had to take off the passenger pegs or he would be charged for another rider in Australia. The Libs are everywhere with one thing in mind. Guess what it is.
Steve

More
31 Oct 2015 10:32 - 31 Oct 2015 10:34 #696637 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Insurance

pete greek1 wrote:

missionkz wrote: You hate feckin' Americans?

I believe he was just being sarcastic, because we Americans pay much less for insurance, than he has to pay in his Country,
Pete

OK. You might be right.... if so I stand corrected.
I'm VERY sensitive to anti-American drivel and will not stand by like a lame ass lefty with out saying something. Sorry.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado
Last edit: 31 Oct 2015 10:34 by missionkz.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
31 Oct 2015 11:41 #696646 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Insurance
I'm sure everyone understands Bruce. I feel the same way.
Steve

More
31 Oct 2015 12:37 #696650 by pete greek1
Replied by pete greek1 on topic Insurance

swest wrote: I'm sure everyone understands Bruce. I feel the same way.
Steve

I sure understand Bruce 100%, that's why I fly the POW/MIA flag on my scooter
I just think he took the comment the wrong way, ...GO USA !!!

1980 LTD 1000..,1976 LTD 900, have the 1000&900 now. the rest are previous= 1978 KZ 650 B.., 1980 Yamaha XT 500..,1978 Yamaha DT 400.., 1977 Yamaha yz 80..,Honda trail ct 70.., Honda QA 50...5-1/2 hp brigs & straton CAT chopper mini bike...3-1/2 hp mini bike (WHEN GAS WAS ABOUT 45 CENTS A GALLON)!!!!
Attachments: