What riding gear do you have?

More
03 Sep 2015 06:45 - 03 Sep 2015 12:00 #688418 by GPzMOD750
What riding gear do you have? was created by GPzMOD750
This question occurred to me as I was gearing up for my morning commute on my 82 GPz750. I'm in the Salt Lake valley and temps have varied from the high 50's to high 70's in the mornings of late. Going home is from the low 80's to the century mark.

I have a Joe Rocket 7.0 3/4 ballistic jacket that I almost stole off of eBay, a nice basic HJC open face helmet, pair of Olympia leather gloves. Otherwise I just wear jeans and high top hiking shoes. For wet/cool weather I have a pair of Fieldsheer overpants.

I don't like to ride without gloves and jacket even when it's hot. Showing up to work with bugs all over your shirt isn't kosher. Catching a rock or large bug in the knuckles or chest sucks as well.

I really like my jacket but I was thinking of getting a nice waist length leather jacket too. I just haven't come across anything that's grabbed my attention yet.

So, what do the rest of you guys wear? Enquiring minds wanna know.
Last edit: 03 Sep 2015 12:00 by GPzMOD750.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
03 Sep 2015 06:56 #688420 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic What riding gear do you have?
I have a worn out NRA denim jacket I cut into a vest I wear during the summer 100-115F and a Harley Davidson black leather jacket (made in china in 87) and chaps during the winter. Always gloves and boots. Leather light weight driving gloves and gauntlets for when it's cold. My helmet has a detachable shield and I have a small wind shield on the bike.
Steve

More
03 Sep 2015 08:52 #688448 by Shabba
Replied by Shabba on topic What riding gear do you have?
I'm of the opinion that riding requires protection. Helmet, good jacket, gloves and boots. As far as pants go, I never wear anything less than denim. I've only had one off in 30 years of riding but I was protected and suffered only a snapped clavicle after attempting to tackle a guard rail at 25 MPH.

Gear is very, very important. Make sure your insurance covers replacement too. My Arai was replaced by Progressive when I had my off as well as my gloves.

-Colin

-82 GPZ750
-15 Yamaha FZ-09
-00 Suzuki TL1000S
-13 Nissan Nismo Juke

More
03 Sep 2015 09:09 #688451 by Spencer440
Replied by Spencer440 on topic What riding gear do you have?
For my helmet, I wear a full face Vega Bluetooth helmet...For my main jacket, I have a Sedici Rapido white leather jacket, that I wear whenever its above 50 degrees, all the way up to 100+ degrees, and it is not all that uncomfortable, so long as you keep moving... Then for when it rains or when I go on long trips, I have a motoboss waterproof textile jacket (800 denier) and a pair of matching pants to go with it. For the gloves, I wear a pair of Alpinestar SP2 gloves, and a pair of Sedici short gloves, for when it gets hot... Then for added protection, for when I wanna hit up some twisties, I wear BILT dominator elbow pads and knee gaurds, along with a Dainese Manis back protector, and a pair of Alpinstar SMX 4 boots... I wear all of this stuff under my pants and my jacket, it makes me feel like iron man! B) That's about it for gear.. As far as how often I wear it all.. I ALWAYS wear at least a nice pair of gloves and a full face, some good shoes (or motorcycle boots), and a jacket... I only full suit up, if I am either going out for some spirited riding, or going on a long journey.. Other than that, most of my trips are in the city, and less than 15 miles at a time, so gearing up in full gear, can be a pain for just a 20 minute trip.

1980 KZ440-B
1979 Kawasaki KZ650-C3

More
03 Sep 2015 09:31 #688455 by OnkelB
Replied by OnkelB on topic What riding gear do you have?
No matter how hot it is or where I'm going I never ride without my leather jacket, gloves and full face helmet. Never.

Light leather gloves for the summer and a heavier set with Thinsulate insulation for cold weather. My jacket is an old padded Jaguar I've had since about 1990, real thick and solid, it weighs a bit over 7 lbs. and has a collar that can be buttoned up around the neck.

For short trips I will occasionally ride in jeans or work pants, but my preference is a pair of heavy duty leather pants (Held).

99% of the time I use a pair of riding boots with shin and ankle protection, very seldomly will I ride in my steel toe work shoes, never anything lighter than that.

For colder weather I add ski underwear (longjohns), a wooly pullover and a helmet balaclava.

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.

More
04 Sep 2015 06:48 - 04 Sep 2015 19:23 #688591 by GPzMOD750
Replied by GPzMOD750 on topic Re:What riding gear do you have?
I should probably get a full face helmet, I had a couple when I used to ride. I needed a helmet quick when I bought this bike so I got the the nicest one I could for under $100. I actually really like it, especially the unimpeded view. I'll probably get a full face but want one with a lifting front piece.
Last edit: 04 Sep 2015 19:23 by GPzMOD750.

More
04 Sep 2015 21:57 #688703 by 80B4
Replied by 80B4 on topic What riding gear do you have?
I ride in an Arai Signet, Aerostich Road crafter 2 piece or Darien set, Roper elk skin gloves and combat light touring boots. I've had a skin graft, it was not fun.

1980B4 1000
1978 Z1R
1978 B3 750

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
04 Sep 2015 23:12 - 04 Sep 2015 23:22 #688704 by DoctoRot
Replied by DoctoRot on topic What riding gear do you have?

80B4 wrote: I ride in an Arai Signet, Aerostich Road crafter 2 piece or Darien set, Roper elk skin gloves and combat light touring boots. I've had a skin graft, it was not fun.

I just got a pair of the combat lights. just breaking them in but they are AWESOME, plus they don't look too bad with pants over them. I hate how "techie" manufacturers insist on making gear look.

Cant say enough good things about Wolf Creek Leather for a solid "lifetime" jacket. Only an additional $80 for a custom fit. Plus when i had a low speed get off last summer i broke the zipper on the cuff and they fixed it for free AND covered return shipping.

I started commuting 50 miles each way a couple weeks ago, and the temperature difference from real California (where i live) to San Francisco is stark. The difference from day to night is at least 20 degrees as well. Im putting together a bag of gear so i can be prepared for the weather changing on the drive/return, and just take it with me every-time. Currently looking for a good pair of over-pants with some armor in them myself.
Something new for me is lane splitting here; i cannot help myself. Its so satifying to pass the cagers in gridlock but I need to armor up
Last edit: 04 Sep 2015 23:22 by DoctoRot.

More
07 Sep 2015 07:48 #688982 by scubaanders
Replied by scubaanders on topic What riding gear do you have?
I must say I envy your climate and your guts riding in denim, because if you go down you can just as well wear a pair of speedos.

Still today, thirty years later I have asphalt tattoos on my knees from going down on my way to the beach wearing just denim and a leather jacket, I was probably doing 40-50km/h when I went down and the jeans protected just as much as a pair of Bunny ears.
From that I learnt that hanging out at the local emergency room scrubbing your knees from asphalt, gravel and denim with a Scotch Brite is as joyful as having a VD checkup. :sick:

During my racing career I x’ed probably 10times on the track. Only hurting myself only twice, all the other times I just stood up and walked away thanks to my racing leathers.

So my choice of riding gear is Spidi two piece racing leather, Alpinestars touring boots and a Shoei GT-Air full face helmet. The racing leather is one size too large, so that I can wear office clothes under without getting them all wrinkled up going to work.

I can understand that riding in racing leathers in your climate can be hard, but check out the Kevlar Jeans that are on the market, they can save a summer. B)

Gpz750R1 1982
Gpz750A1 1983
Gpz1100A2 1984
FZ750 1985
Gpz900R -91
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPzMOD750

More
07 Sep 2015 14:57 - 07 Sep 2015 14:58 #689045 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic What riding gear do you have?
I thank God Illinois does not have a helmet law ....... I realize many of you probably think I'm nuts for not wearing one but I never will. (Been lucky for 51 years so why start now)........Tryed one a few times but not for me. Leather gloves sometimes and a light jacket and damn guys sorry but I live in tennis shoes too.

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.
Last edit: 07 Sep 2015 14:58 by KZB2 650.

More
07 Sep 2015 16:17 #689056 by LineArtist
Replied by LineArtist on topic What riding gear do you have?
Bell RS1 full face helmet (replacing a Bell Qualifier that was noisy and like a Shinko tire) with the standard clear visor and dark smoke for sunny daytime (I do not like wearing glasses in the helmet). Schott leather jacket with removable liner for cooler days and long highway rides. Joe Rocket mesh jacket with armor and liner for rain and any weather - this jacket is like wearing an air conditioner on a hot day, keeps me cool. Milwaukee Leather vest (when I ride my Harley). Leather gloves by HD and Milwaukee Leather. HD boots and a pair of leather work boots, both above the ankle, rubber soles.

The Bell RS1 helmet is light weight with a wide field of vision, very quiet and comfortable. Like everything about the shield attachment and various positions, small crack, 1/4 crack, closed and locked. Bought mine used from a rider that passed the safety course but did not move forward with a license and getting a bike, paid less than half for it. Finding good gear to be difficult to find, fit and not find something wrong with it - when you find something that works for you - grab it.

The Schott leather jacket is just classically amazing comfort and protection. Again bought used since I don't like new leather. Jacket was in perfect condition and already broken in - $50. Gloves, I'm not 100% trilled about but my newest HD pair is doing well this summer and should last down to 65 degrees. Milwaukee Leather Joker vest is very comfortable over a long sleeve shirt, protection from bugs and stuff aiming at your torso on the road (comes with a handy fire arm pocket). Oh that's right I only wear the vest when I'm riding my Harley.

'79 KZ650B3 (stock)
'79 KZ650B3 (parts bike)
'06 HD 883R

More
08 Sep 2015 00:02 - 08 Sep 2015 00:04 #689090 by Zephyrrider
Replied by Zephyrrider on topic What riding gear do you have?
Leather jacket, leather pants, gloves with reinforced knuckles, Rossiter bike boots and HJC full face helmet every single time i leave the house..ALL BLACK - fuck safety colours.Open face helmet is great if you like being hit by bees/ wasps or riding through a hail storm they are just brilliant :dry: .

Mick
1994 ZR750 Zephyr C4.
Last edit: 08 Sep 2015 00:04 by Zephyrrider.