What riding gear do you have?

More
24 Sep 2015 11:09 #691753 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic Re:What riding gear do you have?

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Sep 2015 04:43 #691851 by GPzMOD750

More
25 Sep 2015 06:57 #691865 by jackleberry
Replied by jackleberry on topic Re:What riding gear do you have?

GPzMOD750 wrote: I just re-found this.

cdn.rideapart.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/fools-gear.jpg

Nice... It's funny, I live in Portland and there are plenty of riders here (well, in the summer anyway) and I see so many guys riding around in boat shoes, skinny jeans, and v-neck t-shirts. Helmets are required so at least they're wearing those. Here's the funny part: The Vespa riders (which may out number the motorcyclists), are usually wearing full gear, armored everything, complete with hi-viz vests.

1997 KZ1000P (P16)
2001 KZ1000P (P20)

More
25 Sep 2015 17:57 #691946 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Re:What riding gear do you have?
I did 95% of my riding in the old days in tennis shoes, and a T-shirt. Always wore a helmet though. Got a few bumps and bruises riding that way, and gradually progressed. After the T-shirt days I went to tennis shoes and a good leather jacket, then eventually ditched the shoes for boots. Finally I saw John Ryan do that big ride from Prudhoe Bay AK to Key West FL, It was 5600 miles or so, and John did it in 84 hours, and I saw he was wearing an Aerostich Roadcrafter suit in all weather. I went that route, and couldn't be happier. Wife and I rode to Las Vegas a month ago and saw 110 degrees, and we had the full suits on. People think we are fruitcakes, but it actually works, more or less insulating the heat from your body.
So I wear the Aerostich, Sidi boots, leather gloves that won't fall off, Arai helmet. I found long time ago better equipment is better.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
01 Oct 2015 03:41 #692750 by GPzMOD750
Replied by GPzMOD750 on topic Re:What riding gear do you have?
I just got some Kevlar jeans from Amazon to alternate with the cargo pants. They're very nice and have removable pads I can use on weekends.

More
11 Mar 2016 18:26 #715016 by GPzMOD750
Replied by GPzMOD750 on topic What riding gear do you have?
Update and shameless bump, I'm sure we'll have plenty of noobs that are curious.

I've been doing some bargain hunting over the off season which was was more off than most years. So I've since acquired some Vega Night train boots, they look like they came from Napoleon Dynamite's closet but they seem to work OK. some insulated Bilt gloves, a "standard" cut Xelement textile/leather jacket with shoulder and elbow armor and a Bilt modular helmet.

I'm going to keep using the Joe Rocket jacket for commuting but use the Xelement for my adventures. I bought some shoes to leave in my locker to work so I can wear my motorcycle boots on my commute. I'll keep using the rest of the gear as it suits me and the rides I plan to take.

More
11 Mar 2016 19:42 - 11 Mar 2016 19:43 #715033 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic What riding gear do you have?
Be prepared for anything...........

Attachment chromemotorcycle.jpg not found

Oh rats! I forgot my gloves...
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 Mar 2016 19:43 by 650ed.

More
11 Mar 2016 19:47 #715034 by GPzMOD750
Replied by GPzMOD750 on topic What riding gear do you have?

650ed wrote: Be prepared for anything...........

Attachment chromemotorcycle.jpg not found

Oh rats! I forgot my gloves...
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Gauntlets!

• KZPETE33
  • User
  • 76 900 Constant thorn in my side....love it.
More
11 Mar 2016 20:09 #715036 by KZPETE33
Replied by KZPETE33 on topic What riding gear do you have?
At 18 I wore shorts, no shirt, tennis shoes and sunglasses....scars and sore to 'prove' it. At 39, I wear ARAI Helmets exclusively, Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0 for hot daily, leather for fun days...gear has replaced my gun obsession, whatever you have wear it. Nothing pisses me off worse than the Start Seeing Motorcycles propaganda...90% of the guys I see on the street don't/won't/to cool for a helmet, we all should know the danger in todays riding...put on a helmet, protect yourself first.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
11 Mar 2016 20:18 #715041 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic What riding gear do you have?
Yeah, the cagers seem more aggressive than they were 20 years ago.
Steve

More
12 Mar 2016 11:55 #715112 by Irish-Kawi
Replied by Irish-Kawi on topic What riding gear do you have?
For me doesn't matter if it is 40 degrees or 115 degrees I am always in full gear head to toe. HJC CL-SP SNELL rated helmet, Alpinestar textile and suede gloves (will upgrade when can since not as much protection as I want), SIDI Vertigo race boots, Icon Sanctuary leather and textile hybrid jacket with full D3O armor in back, shoulders and elbows/forearms. For bottoms currently just wearing denim but will very shortly be ordering a set of the iCon Hypersport Prime leather pants that have full D3) molecular armor in them as well, and currently wear as a base layer a pair of underarm pants that have impact padding built into hips, coccyx, thighs and knees and will wear those under the leather bottoms as well when those show up. Will be upgrading to Scoprion Clutch gloves when I upgrade my gloves, as they are about as sought a glove as possible and even use stingray leather which is the highest abrasion resistance material currently known worldwide.

I take my safety more seriously than any other aspect of riding, too much weight and responsibility on my shoulders supporting my family so will make sure I always stack the deck in my favor as much as is humanly possible.

Brett

All the gear all the time!

1985 Kawasaki GPz 750 (ZX750-A3) 15,000 original miles www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/601230...z750-refresh-project

Father - Husband - Bourbonr - Rider

More
12 Mar 2016 12:54 - 12 Mar 2016 12:54 #715121 by theApehouse
Replied by theApehouse on topic What riding gear do you have?
First and foremost, I believe in choice. But the risk is gigantic and the circumstances can easily be out of your control.

A year and a half or so ago, me and a friend we're coming back from a ride up in Colorado. Running on a straight stretch at 65mph, when this happened. Even in full gear, I'm not sure how he survived. But he stood right up. I begged him to lay back down, told him there was a 10 second rule. But he was perfectly fine. Was a day I will never forget!

1987 KZ1000P, dynatek 2.2 coils

www.youtube.com/channel/UC3VtY1XWwKH3zK2trI2Hz1w
Last edit: 12 Mar 2016 12:54 by theApehouse.