Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 07 Jan 2021 11:19 #841284

  • DoctoRot
  • DoctoRot's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Posts: 2301
  • Thank you received: 495
Don't forget the stock kz triple has about 1.25" of drop .

Other considerations down the road for the ZRX forks is a fork brace, and have the forks tuned. I found the stock valving and springs to be kinda harsh on mine. I recently had them reworked by Matt Wiley at Racetech with new springs, compression gold valve, and HFR rebound valve and it rides sooooo much better. Way less skittish during WOT, and much better road holding in general.
-Vic
_________________________________
'78 kz1000 LTD long term project

'80 kz750G project
The following user(s) said Thank You: calum

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 07 Jan 2021 13:15 #841292

  • calum
  • calum's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 547
  • Thank you received: 96

Skidmark wrote: My take would be to have the face of them pointing directly at your face while in the rider position, to avoid any glare while riding. Having them parallel to the upper triple could allow reflection to prevent you from reading them.


You mean I'm supposed to look at the gauges when riding :whistle:

Good call though, I'll angle them up a bit. Probably something that I wouldn't have noticed until the first ride :pinch:
1980 KZ750H (kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/612054-kz750h-restoration)
2000 BMW F650GS
2012 Honda Hornet
1993 Mini Cooper :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by calum.

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 07 Jan 2021 13:17 #841293

  • Mikaw
  • Mikaw's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Sustaining Member
  • Posts: 2368
  • Thank you received: 559

calum wrote:

Skidmark wrote: My take would be to have the face of them pointing directly at your face while in the rider position, to avoid any glare while riding. Having them parallel to the upper triple could allow reflection to prevent you from reading them.


You mean I'm supposed to look at the gauges when riding :whistle:


Only after you see the red and blue flashing lights....:woohoo:
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 07 Jan 2021 13:22 #841294

  • calum
  • calum's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 547
  • Thank you received: 96

DoctoRot wrote: Don't forget the stock kz triple has about 1.25" of drop .

Other considerations down the road for the ZRX forks is a fork brace, and have the forks tuned. I found the stock valving and springs to be kinda harsh on mine. I recently had them reworked by Matt Wiley at Racetech with new springs, compression gold valve, and HFR rebound valve and it rides sooooo much better. Way less skittish during WOT, and much better road holding in general.


Thanks, I took the drop into account. With stock setup the top of the forks end up being about 4mm above the lock nut under the top yoke (4mm at 26°). The offset is about 60mm. With my setup the forks sit about 30mm above the lock nut and they have about 33mm offset. The forks are about 7mm shorter than stock as well.

Got new linear springs on the way. Wasn't sure on the brace, would have definitely put one on stock shocks. Will look into it again and have a look at the valve options over here.
1980 KZ750H (kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/612054-kz750h-restoration)
2000 BMW F650GS
2012 Honda Hornet
1993 Mini Cooper :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 07 Jan 2021 13:23 #841295

  • calum
  • calum's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 547
  • Thank you received: 96

Mikaw wrote:

calum wrote:

Skidmark wrote: My take would be to have the face of them pointing directly at your face while in the rider position, to avoid any glare while riding. Having them parallel to the upper triple could allow reflection to prevent you from reading them.


You mean I'm supposed to look at the gauges when riding :whistle:


Only after you see the red and blue flashing lights....:woohoo:


I though that was when you were supposed to completely ignore them ;)
1980 KZ750H (kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/612054-kz750h-restoration)
2000 BMW F650GS
2012 Honda Hornet
1993 Mini Cooper :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 07 Jan 2021 14:17 #841297

  • katit
  • katit's Avatar
  • Offline
  • New Member
  • Posts: 123
  • Thank you received: 5

calum wrote:

Mikaw wrote:

calum wrote:

Skidmark wrote: My take would be to have the face of them pointing directly at your face while in the rider position, to avoid any glare while riding. Having them parallel to the upper triple could allow reflection to prevent you from reading them.


You mean I'm supposed to look at the gauges when riding :whistle:


Only after you see the red and blue flashing lights....:woohoo:


I though that was when you were supposed to completely ignore them ;)


Red is shifting light. What is blue one? Time for nitro?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 07 Jan 2021 14:23 #841298

  • calum
  • calum's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 547
  • Thank you received: 96
Only have blue flashing lights here in Germany, but as long as you're on the right stretch of Autobahn you'd have to be hitting some serious numbers before they turn their lights on :)
1980 KZ750H (kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/612054-kz750h-restoration)
2000 BMW F650GS
2012 Honda Hornet
1993 Mini Cooper :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: slayer61

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 07 Jan 2021 16:00 #841303

  • 750 R1
  • 750 R1's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 419
  • Thank you received: 88
Hi Calum, where did you get the headlight mounts mate ? I have some that are almost identical but they aren't as long as yours, I may need slightly longer ones, could you please link me to where you bought them... Looking good...!

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 07 Jan 2021 16:29 #841304

  • calum
  • calum's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 547
  • Thank you received: 96
Thanks - pretty bare bones at the moment though :)

Here are the brackets I have (got them a lot cheaper):
www.lsl.eu/143lt?___store=en&___from_store=de

And here are the ones we're putting on the boys Zephyr (same length):
www.kickstartershop.de/en/2-cnc-aluminiu...ets-43mm?language=en

EDIT: Just saw you're down in Oz. Might be hard to get down there - The way things are I won't be back for a while either... Could maybe send some down if the dimensions fit.
1980 KZ750H (kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/612054-kz750h-restoration)
2000 BMW F650GS
2012 Honda Hornet
1993 Mini Cooper :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by calum.

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 07 Jan 2021 19:59 #841314

  • 750 R1
  • 750 R1's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 419
  • Thank you received: 88
Hi Calum, thanks for the links. These are the ones I bought, you can see they are very similar, they are Chinese but very well made, 6061 T6 alloy, they are just a bit short, I haven't actually fitted a headlight to them yet but on the forks they look a bit short. I'll try them out first, I may really just need longer arms but I doubt I'll find any.... That LSL stuff is really expensive !!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 08 Jan 2021 02:16 #841325

  • calum
  • calum's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 547
  • Thank you received: 96
Yeah, you have to wait for a good deal on most of the LSL stuff. Well made, but the Germans always want a decent amount of money for their work ;)

If yours end up being too short and mine too long I can send the "v" part down to my sister in Townsville the next time I put something in the post - then it's just national postage rates. No indicator mounts on mine though.
1980 KZ750H (kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/612054-kz750h-restoration)
2000 BMW F650GS
2012 Honda Hornet
1993 Mini Cooper :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: 750 R1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by calum. Reason: Spelling

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 08 Jan 2021 15:47 #841381

  • 750 R1
  • 750 R1's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 419
  • Thank you received: 88
Thanks for the offer mate.. Next time I get the chance I'll fit the headlight shell, My bike is about 45 miles away {60 K's}, so working on it is a real pain in the butt, especially with this bloody virus and its disruptions here, Unfortunately I'm in the high risk group, Immunosuppressed...
Thanks again.....!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Powered by Kunena Forum