Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 26 Oct 2020 13:15 #837760

• calum
  • calum's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 369
Sweet, thanks. That's perfect - and I haven't sanded down paint for a while so that'll be fun ;)
Will send you a PM with the details.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 26 Oct 2020 14:17 #837776

• calum
  • User
I have one last question for everyone before I start collecting parts for the chassis. I'll be putting ZRX1100 forks on and am wondering if the stock ZRX Tokico callipers are a good option or if Ii should get some Nissin or Brembo ones. The stock callipers are 6-pot so the braking power should be easily enough (I'll be getting some new wave discs), they'll also be a lot cheaper as there are loads of used sets around. Pretty sure this is the best option but wanted to see if anyone had a different opinion.

Last edit: by calum.

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 29 Oct 2020 14:58 #837965

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
  • Thank you received: 494

calum wrote: I'll be putting ZRX1100 forks on and am wondering if the stock ZRX Tokico callipers are a good option or if Ii should get some Nissin or Brembo ones.

I have a 2000 ZRX, and I think the brakes work very well. Poking around the internet, it looks like some folks complain that they don't age well and internal corrosion can cause issues. Mine seem fine. I have yet to rebuild them, so I don't know what they look like inside.

It does look like there are other calipers that are direct fit. Nissin calipers seem to be preferred.

www.kawiforums.com/threads/finally-a-bra...grade-thread.173661/

motorcyclebrakeupgrades.co.uk/

hampshiremotorcycles.com/motorbike-calipers.html
'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100
The following user(s) said Thank You: calum

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 29 Oct 2020 15:29 #837966

• calum
  • User
Thanks for the links. I have read the same complaints. Although I'm pretty good at keeping up to date on maintenance I'll probably go for new brakes (calipers, discs, MCs and lines) - it's not like this build is going to be cheap, no point in saving money on brakes ;)
I picked up a second hand set of forks and didn't bother with getting the calipers. By the time I've got the frame done and the riding position sorted I should have decided between Nissin, Brembo and Beringer.

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 29 Oct 2020 16:29 #837970

• calum
  • User
Just wanted to post that I sent a message to Rob from motorcyclebrakeupgrades.co.uk (Hampshire Motorcycles). He got back to me within minutes well after closing time. He said to go for the 6-pot Nissins with the ZRX or ZX7R MC. This was what I was tending towards, wasn't sure on the MC though. Now I'm all sorted and will just have to see what the damage to the bank account is :)

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 30 Oct 2020 08:18 #837982

• Skidmark
  • User
  • Thank you received: 256
Ignore the bank account... it has been working good for my build! :S
Retired gearhead
'81 KZ-750 E2
'87 Suzuki Savage 650 Street Tracker

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 30 Oct 2020 12:52 #837999

• calum
  • User

Skidmark wrote: Ignore the bank account... it has been working good for my build! :S

:laugh: I did that with the 750! Don't think I can get away with it again ;)

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 05 Nov 2020 14:43 #838143

• calum
  • User
This post from 577nitro got lost in the server migration:

calum wrote: Thanks for the links. I have read the same complaints. Although I'm pretty good at keeping up to date on maintenance I'll probably go for new brakes (calipers, discs, MCs and lines) - it's not like this build is going to be cheap, no point in saving money on brakes ;)
I picked up a second hand set of forks and didn't bother with getting the calipers. By the time I've got the frame done and the riding position sorted I should have decided between Nissin, Brembo and Beringer.

I have a 2000 ZRX, and the brakes are just fine, no issues, and they are 20 years old. I'd say they age just fine....very powerful, single finger stoppies....some times maybe too powerful. I also have a gpz1100 restomod, and I used $20.00 CBR600F3 calipers with the stock GPZ MC and steel braided lines. They too work fine, not as powerful as the 6 pot units...these are two pots...but good enough for singer finger stops...just more effort.

Thanks for the info. I should probably stick to the stock ZRX calipers that are a dime a dozen over here. I'm just torn between saving a decent amount of money and getting as close as I'll probably ever get to owning a new bike. Will probably keep going back and forth for a while, but I have ruled out Beringer (stupid expensive) and Brembo (no front calipers that are straight bolt-on). So it's down to stock 2nd hand Tokico or new Nissin.

Last edit: by calum.

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 05 Nov 2020 22:38 #838155

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
if you don't have the calipers in hand i would go for the 4 pot over the 6 . they are easier to bleed, cheaper to rebuild, and many people claim have better "feel" but probably no difference for us mortals. i don't think you can go wrong either way.

Last edit: by DoctoRot.

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 06 Nov 2020 19:08 #838191

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043
When it comes time to rebuild the ZRX calipers, buy the seals for a Hyabusa. They are identical, except for price. From Suzuki, they are a fraction of what Kawasaki wants. Also, the Hyabusa pistons are much lighter aluminum and cheaper.

You will love this tool.....
www.kwick.biz/product/kwick-brake-caliper-piston-pliers/
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 07 Nov 2020 05:23 #838196

• Bozo
  • Sustaining Member
  • Ride it like u stole it
  • Thank you received: 104

zed1015 wrote: All i can say is bigger isn't always better and faster on paper isn't always faster on the street.
My turbo is FAST but i can run rings around it on the twisties with normally aspirated.
Too much of the wrong kind of power will only be of any use in a straight line and all your mates on "slower" bikes will get home before you.
Been there, done that and those bikes spent more time garaged because they were a pain to ride.
There's a reason why 1075 is probably the most popular size and all of mine are at that capacity for reasons of both reliability and performance.
Shops mostly just want to sell you parts and take your money regardless of whether the result is really suited to your needs so you should get a ride on a sorted 1075 to see what you get before you pull the trigger, you will be pleasantly surprised.
My daily Z1R runs pretty much the spec i suggested with 1075 Wiseco's ,1mm o/s valves, Manzano ported head , stock cams, 32mm mikunis , 4-1 pipe, Dyna 'S' and it just goes and goes.
I've been running it 20 years without a glitch, it'll happily see the other side of 160 mph if needed , return over 50 mpg at steady motorway speeds and best of all it just makes smile every time i ride it.

Totally agree, I have 1075 on the Z1r with slightly larger J valves, Speedway (Mild) cams, porting ZRX 36mm carbs , welded Z900 crank etc. My friend has a 1260, 410cams, 33 flat slides, porting etc but in a drag we are very even, he does have a small jump (one bike length) in second BUT my bike can run like this all day. His suffered from a seized bore and is constantly overheating. My fuel economy is also better under power. I suggest 1075 MTC pistons.
Good luck with whatever you choose, its bound to be nice.
Forgot to add, with the ZRX 36 carbies with pumpers (34mm does not have pumpers) the mid range is incredibly good with clean power everywhere, I have the same setup on my GPZ1100 hybrid (Frankinbike)
First Permanent ride the Z1R since Dec1977 (220,000km) as of June 2015
Second permanent bike 1989 FJ1200 dyno'd 140RWH, great bike.
Third ride is now the Frankenstein 1981 GPZ1100B1, getting new/ refurbished 83-84 motor soon
Forth my work bike FJ1200 1989 (same type as above)

Last edit: by Bozo. Reason: added more detail

1977 KZ1000 Restomod 07 Nov 2020 05:59 #838198

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043
Which year ZRX came with CVK 36 pumpers?
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough