Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1977 1000A? 13 Mar 2018 21:33 #780198

• menace
  • menace's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Just got it

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1977 1000A? 13 Mar 2018 22:36 #780200

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1899
..... but what did you got???:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

1977 1000A? 14 Mar 2018 07:05 #780214

• menace
  • User
Sorry it was a late night.
Attachments:

1977 1000A? 14 Mar 2018 08:03 #780224

• KZB2 650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 265
Bought my V&H header in the winter of 81 and it was maybe was the most excited I ever was on anything I've ever bought. Was going to be dropped off Friday but wasn't there so I called UPS and they said its at the ware house but wouldn't make it till Mon. I had the bike in my 3rd bedroom waiting. Couldn't wait so I drove 35 miles in the worst ice storm you could imagine. It was on and looking so good Sat morn !!! Couldn't start it as the gas was drained so it must have drove me nuts that way but I was happy.
1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

1977 1000A? 14 Mar 2018 10:02 #780234

• menace
  • User
Thats awesome. This will be the second one I have had new for a KZ the other one I got was for a 650 and I crashed that bike worse than any other bike I have put down. I smashed the pipe completely flat on one side really wish I still had the picture of it to show you guys. It had 160 miles on that bike and pipe after painting it and bringing it back to life b4 I wrecked it in a rain storm. I was going down the highway at about 75 when i entered the corner it was a right hander and it started pouring rain about 2 minutes b4 I hit the corner I leaned while on the throttle then all of sudden it red lined and the tire spun and I low sided at about 65 the bike slid into the median and went end over end about 4 times then slid down to the bottom of the hill. I was about 19 when it happened. It bent the clubman bar strait down and it took the right side gauge off toasted the left side cover and bend the crankshaft bolt and ripped off the pick ups it was so bad but i ended up with just a few scrapes and bruises. I got that bike for free with a title from high school football coach that just had it sitting in his back yard. put bars on it a new seat cover went through the brakes and the carbs the new vance and hines pipe fresh tires and paint. I was on my way to take the bike to my mother I built the bike for her and it was going to be her first bike I felt so horrible. still thinking back on it if I would have just lifted on that throttle the bike would still be in the family. What do you guys think of vesrah complete gasket kits over athena ?Apparently cometic does not have a complete gasket kit..
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZB2 650

Last edit: by menace. Reason: miss spelling

1977 1000A? 14 Mar 2018 11:21 #780241

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
The Vesrah valve cover gasket is working fine for me. Not sure of the rest. :unsure:
Steve

1977 1000A? 17 Mar 2018 10:22 #780374

• menace
  • User
Thanks for the input Steve. I got the oil pump an sump dropped i am pretty surprised at how clean it is. It appears that most of the material in it is from the cam chain pads and silencers. Most of the debris is plastic i have not seen any metal. I thought with the cam chain guide/silencer laying in the oil pan there would be more stuff laying around in there. I am waiting for my APE manual tensioner b4 i pull the engine apart. I was going to see how much thread is left on it as a way to see how stretched the cam chain is. I have the forks and wheel on the front. Does anyone know if an 80 to 83 spectre front fender will fit on my 1000A ?
Thanks Dustin

1977 1000A? 17 Mar 2018 10:25 #780375

• Kawboy74
  • User
  • Thank you received: 52
I have used the Vesrah kits with no problems but I always use a factory "peanut" o-ring on top of the cylinders. Athena o-rings turn into a nacho chip in weeks, likely from oil/gas additives. Check the tiny o-rings at the bottom of the cylinder liners if you have it apart that far, they need to be in good shape or you will have leaks, the Vesrah supplied units are good. Clean the studs where they enter the cases as the factory guck sometimes sticks up in the way. I always add a little bit of rtv silicone to the center four studs where they project from the cases when laying down mt base gasket and assembling the rest of the motor. There was a factory service memo I recall at some point regarding the back two center studs but it may have been early Z1 issues but it doesn't hurt to be pro-active.
Good luck on the build.
David
1974 Z1A As original as I could get it
'88 ZX750R braided lines, mostly original
KZ1000 project on the bench
Burlington,Ontario,Canada

Last edit: by Kawboy74.

1977 1000A? 24 Mar 2018 22:21 #780770

• menace
  • User
So I got allot done lately I've been in the garage every night now since I bought the bike. I got the gauges cracked opened and cleaned up I sanded the top part down to bare metal and coated them with clear coat then put them back together. Bench tested and tuned the carbs. I put 120 mains in and 20 pilots since I am running uni pods and occasionally going to take out the baffle on the 4 into 1 V&H pipe. Does anyone have any advice for a bench sync on the carbs? Also I got the rear master cylinder it works great I went with a Russell braided line. I got my new gauge buckets and grommet kit for that and a new holder for the gauges since mine was all worn out and the gauges wobbled all over the place. I got an after market tail light that I will build a bracket for tomorrow. Also I cleaned out the sump and inspected everything I can while I was in there and it looked really good no metal what so ever, it was almost like it had been done recently. So far I pretty much just have to get the motor done and paint and I should be able to ride it for awhile

1977 1000A? 09 Apr 2018 15:39 #781566

• menace
  • User
I got all my valves laped and my 1075 wiesco kit with cometic gaskets and vesrah valve guide seals. I decked the head and cylinders 5 thousandths. I'm going to run it through the wash tank and start assembly on Friday. I got all my rollers and ready to go. I found one of my old sets of kz650 forks so I am going to powder coat the caliper and lower fork tubes. Replace everything with stock parts should look nice. Also bought this has 1500 miles and not a scratch.
Attachments:

1977 1000A? 12 Apr 2018 10:38 #781709

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
Sweet RC51. i was looking one of those for a while but couldn't find one for my budget.

1977 1000A? 12 Apr 2018 18:40 #781723

• menace
  • User
Thanks it is nice I payed a little more than I should have but I didn't over pay . Waiting on the rest of my APE parts and paint. I should have a running bike 2 weeks from now I'm getting excited
Attachments: