Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1977 1000A? 23 Feb 2018 12:19 #779235

• menace
  • menace's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
So I'm getting this 1000 on Sunday for 500 its red/burgundy so I am thinking it is an A model because it's a 77 and the color. I have not seen pictures and I have no idea on the miles. Says it has a 4 into 1 into 2 or a two in to one x2. Says it has some dents in the tank and it ran when he parked it 7 years ago he bought a Harley. The plan is super bike bars tires zrx front brake master cylinder then get like a 2003 zx6 clutch perch and lever. Also leave it with pods and put a street Vance and Hines 4 into 1. Ditch the chrome rear fender get a tail light. Paint it silver with a flat black custom decal. Would anyone want the stock air box or the after market pipe i mentioned? Also does anyone have any recommendations for an after market rear tail light and where to get one? Any suggestions at all for anything i of course will be refurbishing the calipers carbs and fuel and air system tires. i will have pictures Sunday.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1977 1000A? 23 Feb 2018 15:03 #779242

• missionkz
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 184
Curious how old you are...?
Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

1977 1000A? 23 Feb 2018 16:30 #779247

• menace
  • User

missionkz wrote: Curious how old you are...?

I am 31. I know my grammar and punctuation sucks. I am lazy. This is my 7th 70s KAW. I like the smokers better but there is just nothing like a 1000 Kawi..

1977 1000A? 23 Feb 2018 21:30 #779255

• missionkz
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 184
Nothing to do with that.
I was curious about age as it seems like a lot of younger enthusiasts are discovering the KZ 900-1015 bikes and tearing into them.
I’ll be 67 this year and, although owning lots of bikes, I’ve have not been without one since 1977... and owned a few other KZ models.
Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scirocco

1977 1000A? 24 Feb 2018 11:00 #779276

• menace
  • User
I hope to get more guys my age and younger people into them. My boss and I work at a dealership and he thinks one day these bikes wont be cool anymore and I think that they will always be appreciated but who knows. My first bike was a 73 S2A 350 triple when i bought it i had no idea what i was getting into i just knew it was a street bike and it said Kawasaki on it and at the time that was all that mattered. then when i went to get it running thats when i found out what i had got my self in to. my first kz was a LTD 1000 1978 that was in decent shape i rode it for awhile then i ended up trading it to one of the old school bike shops for store credit. i needed parts for another bike that i thought was more important at the time. i have been kicking myself ever since. Now i am less then 24 hrs away from owning another one and all i can think about is getting it home and going mad scientist on it. i am just going to do the basics with it and ride it. i know someone at my work will end up seeing it and offing me allot of money for it and i am afaid i will sell it.

1977 1000A? 24 Feb 2018 11:56 #779278

• Don R
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm interested in a stock airbox, let me know what your bike has and what your plans are. I have a nice new set of quality pod filters I'd use for trading material.

1977 1000A? 25 Feb 2018 16:15 #779349

• menace
  • User
so here it is fellas can anyone tell me what kind of carbs i have? the outside diameter on them is a out 43mm i will have a picture of the title shortly. i need help finding out whether it is a P model or an A model
Attachments:

1977 1000A? 25 Feb 2018 16:28 #779352

• menace
  • User
the vin number is only as long as a jet skis but it says kz1000 P so if i was to go off the frame the stamped id numbers and letters are KZT00A so to me that would mean it is a 77 A model and i need to know this before i order carb parts and a vance and hines pipe.
Attachments:

1977 1000A? 25 Feb 2018 18:27 #779360

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043
P models have footboards, heel and toe shifter, forward brake pedal, 18 inch wheels, extra frame bracing and such.
I believe the carbs are the same as non-P bikes.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Last edit: by TexasKZ.

1977 1000A? 25 Feb 2018 18:57 #779365

• menace
  • User
So how bad is the fuel inlet T fitting if you look at the picture you can see some cracks. Is that just insulation or is it functional? I was hoping i would not have to split the racks. Where can I get T fittings at? It looks like the carb tuning is not far off it has emgo pods and 2 into 1 x2 cruiser exhaust 118 main jets and 17.5 pilots i measured the carb inlet ID and they are 26 mm so that looks pretty good so far. I have a small list of parts i can not find. The fuel inlet T fittings for the carbs, oem brake side plastic side cover, a decent points cover, a rear master cylinder cap and the white plastic piece that goes with it. I could really use some help with the parts any help would be much appreciated. I have a few parts that i will not need if you guys want them let me know ...
I have a stock air box that might be spoken for it is missing the rubbers and the tin piece that holds in the air filter the rest is there, center stand, four stock blinkers that are in good shape, decent functional front master cylinder, rear brake light and chrome rear fender, after market exhaust 2into1 x2 there is a ding on each side of them chrome and are in good usable condition.
thanks guys
Attachments:

1977 1000A? 25 Feb 2018 21:03 #779371

• 9er rider
  • Sustaining Member
  • Keep a cool tool
  • Thank you received: 87
Are you sure the numbers on the frame matches the title? Someone went through a lot of time and trouble to make it a street model
76 kz 900 1075 76 kz 900 a4 78 kz 1000 ltd

1977 1000A? 25 Feb 2018 21:54 #779375

• menace
  • User
OK so here is the scoop. Someone at the court house must of f*&%ed it up a long time ago and just put a P model when its an A model. The numbers match all the way around everything is good but that. I just got done ripping all the stuff off of it that it will not need anymore except a few bits here and there I left the four head pipes and the carb boots and wires so i can get it started and make sure it runs good b4 I go crazy with a 1000 dollar parts list. I dont think that the rear master cylinder can be saved its pretty messed up. Does anyone make an after market or will another year or model fit? Also i plan to put a zrx front master cylinder on it does and put a late model clutch perch and lever, does anyone know of a perch and lever that easily fits? Also does anyone know where to get a good after market tail light? the list is looking pretty big so far
rear master cylinder oem or after market, front clutch perch late model, carb kits, vance & hines street, headlight and bucket after market, fork ears billet after market, carb t fittings, tires and tubes, rear shocks after market, fork seals and oil, tail light kit after market, brake pads, battery, pod filters, front fender after market
Does anyone have any input on where to get some of these parts harder parts?