Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1977 1000A? 07 Mar 2018 22:24 #779907

• menace
  • menace's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Ok so I just got done putting the front zrx lever on and bleed the brakes everything looks pretty good. The rotor frees up nicely after releasing the brake lever. I put some antiseaze on the bolts that hold pad plate together works great.. So I have a 25 pound clutch pull i know these old kaws are nasty for that but it seems a bit rough so I pulled the worm gear off that's located on the primary output shaft cover or sprocket cover so I could make sure that the female plastic part of the worm gear is not cracked and its not looks pretty good actually. If I pull the clutch actuator rod out from the sprocket side will I hurt anything? I just wanted to pull it out and inspect it then put a light coating of grease on it then slide it back in. Also does the cometic complete gasket kit come with a one or two piece gasket?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by menace.

1977 1000A? 08 Mar 2018 22:31 #779961

• menace
  • User
So I just found some not so good things on this bike.. The left rear shock post is stripped because the idiot over tightened or had the wrong spacing when he tightened down his shocks. I tried to run die over it but there just wasn't enough meat left. So I ran a course thread over it and it seems like it will be ok but it's going to bother the hell out of me knowing it's two different sizes. I got the forks pulled and it looks like the left lower has been welded on and sanded down right on one caliper mounts so that sucks. Does any one out there have a left lower fork tube that they don't need? I got my rear brake on cleaned up the chain and installed the freshly powder coated swing arm. Looks pretty good so far. Man that sucks about the fork tune i hope there is no more surprises.

1977 1000A? 09 Mar 2018 21:36 #780002

• menace
  • User
I got all the things fixed that I was worried about. The shock post with a stainless nylock nut and cheap tap and die set did the trick. I am going to swap the right leg to the left and put the caliper on the rear of the rotor instead on top of the rotor. I have matching levers so now I have parts from 4 different bikes on it also I got the clutch pull on the lever from about 25 pound pull down to a 10 pound pull by cleaning up the worm gear and greasing it .. I got the swing arm rear wheel and front wheel looking good with a new set up rubber and some elbow grease. Now I just have to get the forks back together with fresh fork seals and oil then I decided that I am going to paint them black. For some reason I am having a hell of a time getting the bead to seat of the front tire but I will get it figured out ..
Attachments:

Last edit: by menace.

1977 1000A? 10 Mar 2018 23:23 #780049

• menace
  • User
Got a few more things done waiting on a few parts. I got my fork seals in. I used 15w belray they work pretty good of course I haven't rode it yet so... I got my front tire on and my forks painted they turned out really good. I also ran some new studs in the bottom of the fork tubes. Waiting on my head light holders so I can get the front all together
Attachments:

1977 1000A? 13 Mar 2018 21:33 #780198

• menace
  • User
Just got it

1977 1000A? 13 Mar 2018 22:36 #780200

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1899
..... but what did you got???:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

1977 1000A? 14 Mar 2018 07:05 #780214

• menace
  • User
Sorry it was a late night.
Attachments:

1977 1000A? 14 Mar 2018 08:03 #780224

• KZB2 650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 265
Bought my V&H header in the winter of 81 and it was maybe was the most excited I ever was on anything I've ever bought. Was going to be dropped off Friday but wasn't there so I called UPS and they said its at the ware house but wouldn't make it till Mon. I had the bike in my 3rd bedroom waiting. Couldn't wait so I drove 35 miles in the worst ice storm you could imagine. It was on and looking so good Sat morn !!! Couldn't start it as the gas was drained so it must have drove me nuts that way but I was happy.
1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

1977 1000A? 14 Mar 2018 10:02 #780234

• menace
  • User
Thats awesome. This will be the second one I have had new for a KZ the other one I got was for a 650 and I crashed that bike worse than any other bike I have put down. I smashed the pipe completely flat on one side really wish I still had the picture of it to show you guys. It had 160 miles on that bike and pipe after painting it and bringing it back to life b4 I wrecked it in a rain storm. I was going down the highway at about 75 when i entered the corner it was a right hander and it started pouring rain about 2 minutes b4 I hit the corner I leaned while on the throttle then all of sudden it red lined and the tire spun and I low sided at about 65 the bike slid into the median and went end over end about 4 times then slid down to the bottom of the hill. I was about 19 when it happened. It bent the clubman bar strait down and it took the right side gauge off toasted the left side cover and bend the crankshaft bolt and ripped off the pick ups it was so bad but i ended up with just a few scrapes and bruises. I got that bike for free with a title from high school football coach that just had it sitting in his back yard. put bars on it a new seat cover went through the brakes and the carbs the new vance and hines pipe fresh tires and paint. I was on my way to take the bike to my mother I built the bike for her and it was going to be her first bike I felt so horrible. still thinking back on it if I would have just lifted on that throttle the bike would still be in the family. What do you guys think of vesrah complete gasket kits over athena ?Apparently cometic does not have a complete gasket kit..
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZB2 650

Last edit: by menace. Reason: miss spelling

1977 1000A? 14 Mar 2018 11:21 #780241

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
The Vesrah valve cover gasket is working fine for me. Not sure of the rest. :unsure:
Steve

1977 1000A? 17 Mar 2018 10:22 #780374

• menace
  • User
Thanks for the input Steve. I got the oil pump an sump dropped i am pretty surprised at how clean it is. It appears that most of the material in it is from the cam chain pads and silencers. Most of the debris is plastic i have not seen any metal. I thought with the cam chain guide/silencer laying in the oil pan there would be more stuff laying around in there. I am waiting for my APE manual tensioner b4 i pull the engine apart. I was going to see how much thread is left on it as a way to see how stretched the cam chain is. I have the forks and wheel on the front. Does anyone know if an 80 to 83 spectre front fender will fit on my 1000A ?
Thanks Dustin

1977 1000A? 17 Mar 2018 10:25 #780375

• Kawboy74
  • User
  • Thank you received: 52
I have used the Vesrah kits with no problems but I always use a factory "peanut" o-ring on top of the cylinders. Athena o-rings turn into a nacho chip in weeks, likely from oil/gas additives. Check the tiny o-rings at the bottom of the cylinder liners if you have it apart that far, they need to be in good shape or you will have leaks, the Vesrah supplied units are good. Clean the studs where they enter the cases as the factory guck sometimes sticks up in the way. I always add a little bit of rtv silicone to the center four studs where they project from the cases when laying down mt base gasket and assembling the rest of the motor. There was a factory service memo I recall at some point regarding the back two center studs but it may have been early Z1 issues but it doesn't hurt to be pro-active.
Good luck on the build.
David
1974 Z1A As original as I could get it
'88 ZX750R braided lines, mostly original
KZ1000 project on the bench
Burlington,Ontario,Canada

Last edit: by Kawboy74.