Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

kz750e Resto-Mod 22 Jul 2017 14:15 #767499

• Daftrusty
  • Daftrusty's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 184
Well, it's been a long winter and summer. I was put out of commission by spinal damage which led to surgery on my back. But I finally healed up enough to make it into the garage and finish what I started last fall.
I didn't like the look of the straight back look of the stock Kerker, so I took went at giving it more upsweep. I bought a 20 degree mandrel bend and then stared the nerve wracking job of cutting up the megaphone until it looked and fit right. It took me weeks of changing my mind about how it was to look before I finally found the right angle and length I was searching for. I also decided to change it to a spring coupler instead of the big clamp which I never liked the look of. I wanted it to look as much like a Nitro Racing exhaust system as I could, but still have it be a Kerker.
That was last winter, so this summer I finally felt well enough to take it all to the welder to have it TIGed together. Thats when I noticed how bad the factory paint was flaking off and rusting after only 45min of total use from brand new. The internal baffle was also totally encased in rust (how the baffle is not made of stainless when this exhaust retails for $800ish dollars I will never understand. *I payed less than half of that by the way*) and had to be cut down to properly fit the 20 degree bend that was added. So I had the whole exhaust and baffle glass blasted and then I painted it with high temperature paint. So it is now on the bike and I finally have insurance and registration, so I can finally ride it legally.
But having cut down the baffle, I have reduced back pressure enough, that I have had to readjust the carbs as it was running lean.

I also got a kick stand from a kz1100 that is a 1/2" longer than the stock one, as it was leaning way to much when on the side stand originally. It took a bit of filing to "new" kick stand to get it to swing open to the proper angle, but other than that it bolted right on.

Pre- paint

Finished product

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

kz750e Resto-Mod 22 Jul 2017 14:31 #767500

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2672
Glad to hear you are feeling better and hope you fully recover. My own back is gimpy as hell so I know how frustrating that can be.

Your work is above reproach, as always. Great looking pipe (and bike of course).

I've got a NOS Supertrap for my 750 only it hangs too far down under the bike with at least a 3" gap to the sump. Your modding has given me some motivation to look into doing something about that. Sorry, don't mean to derail your thread with my crap.

Does this mean the bike is finished now? If not, what's next on the agenda? I've enjoyed this thread.:D
The following user(s) said Thank You: Daftrusty

kz750e Resto-Mod 22 Jul 2017 15:17 #767502

• Daftrusty
  • User
Thanks Nessism, I am also relived that riding a motorcycle does not cause me pain so I don't have to sell my beloved bikes.

That Supertrapp you have is an amazing period exhaust. I love that style! Maybe you you could find another header that dosen't hang as low and put the Supertrapp rear section on it. This bike came with a great Supertrapp megaphone exhaust that was too nice to modify. I knew it wouldn't fit the style of bike I wanted to build, so I restored it and then sold it to a kzrider member. This brand new Kerker was of such poor build quality, that I didn't feel bad about cutting it up.

I am done making modifications to the bike at this point, as it is exactly what I envisioned. I now just need to fill in the dings on the gas tank and have it all painted. But that will need to wait until the riding season is over as I just want to put some miles on it first.

kz750e Resto-Mod 23 Jul 2017 08:13 #767533

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 429
Beautifful bike. Beautiful work all around
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
The following user(s) said Thank You: Daftrusty

kz750e Resto-Mod 24 Jul 2017 09:58 #767607

• Dr. Gamma
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 664
Great looking bike!!!!!! I absolutely love the work you did on your pipe. Now it looks like what a Kerker should look like!!!
1972 H2 750 Cafe Racer built in 1974.
1976 KH400 Production Road Racer.
1979 Kz1000 MK. II Old AMA/WERA Superbike.
1986 RG500G 2 stroke terror.
1986 GSXR750RG The one with the clutch that rattles!

Up in the hills near Prescott, Az.

Last edit: by Dr. Gamma. Reason: chnaged something.

kz750e Resto-Mod 26 Jul 2017 09:23 #767737

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
love the way the header turned out.

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

kz750e Resto-Mod 26 Jul 2017 13:42 #767749

• Daftrusty
  • User
Thanks for the positive comments guys!

I am not joking, it took me weeks of messing with the angle, direction and length of the megaphone before I was happy. I would mock it up and then come back a hour/day later only to change my mind and reposition it again.
I was very pleased how it turned out and your comments make me feel like it was worth all the hassle.

Thanks again!

kz750e Resto-Mod 26 Jul 2017 17:09 #767754

• Dr. Gamma
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 664
Don't know how I missed this thread on your build. Maybe the words "Resto-Mod" turned me off to your fantastic looking project in the beginning!!! After going through your whole build, I am very impressed with what you ended up with!!!! Your end product looks like something that Kawasaki would produce. Subtle, but with tons of changes. Not some weird looking thing that people call a "Resto-Mod". Love the KZ1000E model gas tank. But I am kinda partial to MK II's.

Please don't ruin the looks of your creation with a pair of those silly looking wave brake rotors. Can't wait to see what you will choose for final color for your project!!!!
1972 H2 750 Cafe Racer built in 1974.
1976 KH400 Production Road Racer.
1979 Kz1000 MK. II Old AMA/WERA Superbike.
1986 RG500G 2 stroke terror.
1986 GSXR750RG The one with the clutch that rattles!

Up in the hills near Prescott, Az.

kz750e Resto-Mod 26 Jul 2017 19:05 #767763

• Daftrusty
  • User
Thank you Dr. Gamma!!
When I started this build, all I knew was that I had a list of general modifications that I wanted to do. But as soon as I got the shaft drive tank to fit the frame, I knew I wanted to make a "what if Kawasaki decided to make a kz750 mkII".
I just wanted it to end up looking like something that looked as factory as possible.
Brakes, grips, mirrors, seat...I wanted everything to be stock Kawasaki parts. The only really obvious aftermarket or non-period part is the cheap shocks. (And there is Suzuki bearing races in the swing arm....so there is that)
So you saying that it looks like something Kasawaski might have produced is really high praise.
My plan is to one day have it painted in the Luminous Navy Blue with mkII pinstripes.
But due to my health issues and surgery over the winter, that will not be financially possible for the foreseeable future. I have never done bodywork paint, and I have none of the tools to properly attempt it.
I don't want people to say "neat, bike. It's a shame the paint job is so bad." So I want it done right the first time.

kz750e Resto-Mod 27 Jul 2017 06:03 #767804

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
maybe a wrap until you get the money to paint it?
www.carwrapdirect.com/motorcycle-wrap-kits/

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

kz750e Resto-Mod 27 Jul 2017 07:18 #767815

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2672

Daftrusty wrote: I have never done bodywork paint, and I have none of the tools to properly attempt it.
I don't want people to say "neat, bike. It's a shame the paint job is so bad." So I want it done right the first time.

Considering your obvious technical skills I'm almost certain that you could easily perform a quality paint job on your own. Needed equipment includes an air compressor, spray gun, and paint products. It ain't rocket science. The main requirement is a desire to do quality work. The actual task is not that difficult.

kz750e Resto-Mod 27 Jul 2017 08:46 #767821

• Daftrusty
  • User

531blackbanshee wrote: maybe a wrap until you get the money to paint it?
www.carwrapdirect.com/motorcycle-wrap-kits/

leon

I wont lie, I have thought long and hard about that option. I have myself almost convinced to have a dark blue wrap applied and see how it holds up. They are supposed to be "fuel resistant" which is the important part. Because I think I have ever been able to fuel up and not have at least one drop of fuel fly out and land on the paint. And if I scratch it, then I won't be pissed for months like I would be If I spent weeks painting it or payed thousands to have it done.

But it has to have a fully cured hard gloss surface to be applied to.
So I am going try my hand to at filling in the handful of dings and dimples in the tank and try and give it a glossy coat of primer or something. By that time I may have completly changed my mind about the wrap.
Attachments:

Last edit: by Daftrusty.