Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

kz750e Resto-Mod 21 Oct 2016 15:25 #745859

• 750 R1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 394

DoctoRot wrote: You got it right. Dutch had Wompy (another member here) at Still Kicking Moto make the stacks. Wompy made a few sets and i have a set i am going to run on my KZ1000. No clue how they actually work yet.

Thanks for confirming that, stacks work, there's no doubting that.... ;)

Rusty, the blue looks awesome on these old bikes, it shouldn't be too hard to get someone to get a close match for you, Black looks good too.... B)

[youtube]
[/youtube]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

kz750e Resto-Mod 21 Oct 2016 15:28 #745860

• Daftrusty
  • Daftrusty's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 184
Thank you guys! You are absolutely right, blue it is.
I need to stop changing my mind about color and focus on getting my exhaust pipe upsweep angle figured out.

Last edit: by Daftrusty.

kz750e Resto-Mod 21 Oct 2016 15:42 #745861

• 750 R1
  • User

Daftrusty wrote: Thank you! You are absolutely right, blue it is.
I need to stop changing my mind about color and focus on getting my exhaust pipe upsweep angle figured out.

Its easy to start doubting your decisions when you hit a speed bump, the trick is not to be impatient and stick to what you really want. The blue will look awesome...!!! {i'm sure i said that somewhere B) }..... :P

kz750e Resto-Mod 23 Oct 2016 08:45 #746012

• GPzMOD750
  • User
  • Thank you received: 148
I remember you posting screen shots from hat site a few pages back now. Thanks.

I've been playing with it a bit. If I go up one tooth on the front (17/38) it will put my 1st gear ratio right between where the stock final ratio was and what I've been running. I could get the same result from 16/36. The gearing to put 1st at roughly stock ratio wouldn't make the 6th much of an advantage at all. Since I would only have to change the front, which is needed anyway I'll start with the 17/38.

One error I found. I pulled up the stock numbers on another tab. They have the stock chain listed as a 530 (0.625). Funny thing is that if you change it to 630 (0.750) without changing the sprockets none of the results change.

Last edit: by GPzMOD750.

kz750e Resto-Mod 23 Oct 2016 11:59 #746024

• Daftrusty
  • User
I also noticed that the chain pitch is not changing the ratios like it should.
I swore that two years ago when I was really spending a lot of time on gearing commander trying to figure my gearing, I kept forgetting to change the pitch to 530 and it was seriously changing the final numbers and speeds. Last week I went back and was trying to figure out if my calculations were wrong or if my speedo was really off, when I noticed the chain pitch glitch.

**EDIT***
( I accidentally hit submit before I was done)
So it must be calculating them differently.
I had to research this further so I could understand it better.

Turns out that when calculating sprockets you ignore the chain....just like gearing commander is doing

So no matter the circumference difference between a 17-tooth 630 sprocket and a 17-tooth 530 sprocket, (the 630 has a much larger circumference) you are only calculating tooth counts to get the ratios and not the circumference like I had for some reason thought.
I'm an idiot. I imagined the sprockets as pulleys and changing pulley size changes the ratio. Wrong!

So I ended up with a 2.29 final drive ratio compared to the stock 2.54 after switching from 13/33 630 sprockets to 17/39 530 sprockets.
Attachments:

kz750e Resto-Mod 23 Oct 2016 13:16 #746028

• GPzMOD750
  • User
  • Thank you received: 148
Well yeah, that makes sense.

I pulled up the E1 template just after I posted and all the numbers were correct there. Except for some engine power output and redline specs the ratios are the same. Just an intellectual, comparative exercise anyway....

So I would be going from a 2.38 final to a 2.24.

kz750e Resto-Mod 16 Dec 2016 20:57 #750318

• donconcha
  • User
  • Yop
  • Thank you received: 3
Now that you have 69mm pistons the default spark plugs are okey?
KZ 750 LTD H1 - 80
ZR 550 Zephyr 91

kz750e Resto-Mod 18 Dec 2016 09:55 #750365

• spdygon
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 117
Wow...nicely done . And I to been looking at the velocity stacks with pods.
1982 GS1000sz Katana ( #15...17K Miles)
1982 GS1000sz Katana ( # 297....7100k Miles)
1978 Kz1000 Z1R. 10K Miles1
1978 kz1000 z1r 27k miles
1977 KZ 1000 A ( Project ) 54K Miles
1976 Kz900A4 (Red)21K miles
1976 Kz900A4 ( Red)7500 miles
1974 Z1 900 project

Last edit: by spdygon.

kz750e Resto-Mod 18 Dec 2016 11:16 #750367

• Daftrusty
  • User
Donconcha - I am running the factory recommended B8ES plugs and there are no issues with clearances between the plug and the pistons. The pistons I used are really just 3mm oversized factory pistons so there is zero chance of the piston hitting the plug unless the wrong plug is used. I have also never heard of the huge Wiseco 810 pistons touching a spark plug either.

Spdygon - Thanks for the compliment.
I have also following the velocity stack discussion as I would also like to try run velocity stacks in my pods in the future. I see it as a more elegant solution than the one I am using, but finding stacks to fit in the K&N filters and on my cvk's may be very difficult.

kz750e Resto-Mod 18 Dec 2016 13:41 #750375

• 750 R1
  • User

Daftrusty wrote: Spdygon - Thanks for the compliment.
I have also following the velocity stack discussion as I would also like to try run velocity stacks in my pods in the future. I see it as a more elegant solution than the one I am using, but finding stacks to fit in the K&N filters and on my cvk's may be very difficult.

K&N had pods with inbuilt stacks, not too sure what happened to them, you can still get stack and pod kits for Ducati's, {i'll post a link} you can also use different filters and stacks combinations..

Ducati stack and pod kits.. www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ID/1985/...V-Saving-Weight.aspx

Quad pods for velocity stacks, scroll down, they have a number of different spacings for most carb setups.

www.uniflow.com.au/contents/en-us/d361_Quad_Pods.html

kz750e Resto-Mod 19 Dec 2016 04:56 #750409

• Daftrusty
  • User
750 R1 - Thanks for the links. Looking at the Ducati kit reminded me that certain water-cooled Ninjas and assorted kawasakis used plastic velocity stacks inside the factory air box. I'm on my phone so it's not easy to post a picture but a google search shows they came in several shapes and sizes. And colors.
So I may need to grap my calipers and head to the junk yard to investigate dimensions. My main concern is finding a stack that is thin enough, because the filter mounting flange has to be able slip over the stack mounting flange in order to attach to the carb.
Lots of food for thought.
But right now is -15° in the garage so it and my exhaust work will have to wait for warmer weather.

kz750e Resto-Mod 19 Dec 2016 14:41 #750449

• 750 R1
  • User

Daftrusty wrote: 750 R1 - Thanks for the links. Looking at the Ducati kit reminded me that certain water-cooled Ninjas and assorted kawasakis used plastic velocity stacks inside the factory air box. I'm on my phone so it's not easy to post a picture but a google search shows they came in several shapes and sizes. And colors.
So I may need to grap my calipers and head to the junk yard to investigate dimensions. My main concern is finding a stack that is thin enough, because the filter mounting flange has to be able slip over the stack mounting flange in order to attach to the carb.
Lots of food for thought.
But right now is -15° in the garage so it and my exhaust work will have to wait for warmer weather.

Yep. I'm more familiar with old 750 Honda's and they have velocity stacks as well {lots of stock bikes do} , they run like shit without them too. Maybe you could find some stacks that fit, sell the k&n's you have and buy some with a bigger internal diameter...? I hate doing that with bike parts {just did it with some rearsets !! }, but i've done it more than once, thats all part of building "resto mods"... B) ...