Stu Pidasole's Build

• porchev914
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
More
23 Dec 2010 20:17 #418371 by porchev914
Replied by porchev914 on topic Joe's '78 kz1000 build
How did you spread the frame, and how did you keep it that way?

FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
23 Dec 2010 20:33 #418373 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic Joe's '78 kz1000 build
porchev914 wrote:

Ditto....wanna see yer jig.

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
23 Dec 2010 20:35 - 23 Dec 2010 20:37 #418374 by kz1k
Replied by kz1k on topic Joe's '78 kz1000 build
porchev914 wrote:

i was really suprised myself. i made the cut where the center stand is and spread the frame. the pivot instantly went out of square. then i made 2 more cuts on the side uprights and spread them some. stock pivot bolt went right in. i can even spin it easy while its in both holes with my fingers. i have not welded anything as i am waiting on larry to give me the scoop, as he has the same rear. i may have to make 2 more cuts if i need to spread it much more. well see.

1978 KZ1000A2

"JUST IN! A MAN WHO HOLDS THE WORLD RECORD FOR USING THE MOST DRUGS DIES TODAY. HE WAS WAS ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS HE THOUGHT HE SAW"

WHY FART AND WASTE IT, WHEN YOU CAN BURP AND TASTE IT?
Last edit: 23 Dec 2010 20:37 by kz1k.

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
23 Dec 2010 21:09 - 23 Dec 2010 21:25 #418383 by kz1k
DoubleDub wrote:

porchev914 wrote:

Ditto....wanna see yer jig.

no jig. i used long clamps pulling in and pushing out so nothing moved until i turned a handle. :P there was no movement even when i pulled a tape after i made my cuts and compared them to my measurements before i made any cuts. i think the jig is a lil overkill in certail situations. jmo. now spreading it over an inch.....i would have welded the damn thing to a sheet of 1/4" plate before cutting...:laugh: working in a fab shop for so long helped also.:side:

same concept, just with pipe clamps....

1978 KZ1000A2

"JUST IN! A MAN WHO HOLDS THE WORLD RECORD FOR USING THE MOST DRUGS DIES TODAY. HE WAS WAS ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS HE THOUGHT HE SAW"

Attachments:
Last edit: 23 Dec 2010 21:25 by kz1k.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
24 Dec 2010 05:15 #418406 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Joe's '78 kz1000 build
You don't need a jig for this Joe ;)

And don't weld anything just yet. You're not following the golden rule of KISS

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid :laugh:

THIS is THE MAIN THING YOU HAVE TO FOLLOW!!!!!

Spread the frame to the point where you can still tap the pivot bolt through the holes. Then make up the piece that fills in what you cut out of the lower frame rail BUT DO NOT WELD IT YET!!!

That's as far as you want to spread the frame. From that point on it's measure and figure, measure and figure.

Measure the distance between the bosses inside the frame where the swing arm pivots.

Measure the width of the arm. Figure in the thrust faces of the arm because ultimately that is what the arm must pivot on.

You'll have to take a little off each end of the arm and also the bosses inside the frame to get the arm in there.

The bosses will no longer be parallel so you have to address that when you remove material from them.

The frame mods can be done with a big old flat file and a small right angle grinder with some sanding discs. WATCH OUT with the griner..... it's easy to get things out of sqauare. I did a LOT of hand filing on mine.

Even after it's in the frame, the arm won't pivot all the way. You need to grind on the frame rails and the arm to get it to travel unhindered full shock travel distance.

Also, when you put your engine cases in, you probably will find the front of the arm hits the rear of the cases on the right hand side. That needs to be addressed as well.

There's more but I'll tell you that when you need to know it :)

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
24 Dec 2010 05:18 #418407 by larrycavan
No the most informative pic but you can see the lower mount I have on mine.
Attachments:

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
24 Dec 2010 06:15 - 24 Dec 2010 06:27 #418414 by larrycavan
kz1k wrote:

porchev914 wrote:

i was really suprised myself. i made the cut where the center stand is and spread the frame. the pivot instantly went out of square. then i made 2 more cuts on the side uprights and spread them some. stock pivot bolt went right in. i can even spin it easy while its in both holes with my fingers. i have not welded anything as i am waiting on larry to give me the scoop, as he has the same rear. i may have to make 2 more cuts if i need to spread it much more. well see.

No idea why you cut anything but the lower rail :unsure: Now you're into territory that I didn't venture into because I saw no need for that.

All I can say is the way I installe my 7 arm worked out well and my bike goes down the road nice & straight. There's always more than one way to get something done though :)

Just don't take the Honda method and over complicate everything.... They always got their ass kicked by Kawasaki Simplicity anyway :woohoo:

I will be incommunicado until after the holidays..... Have a Merry Christmas and spend lots of time with your kid! They come before motorcycles ;)
Last edit: 24 Dec 2010 06:27 by larrycavan.

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
24 Dec 2010 07:10 #418419 by kz1k
merry christmas to you too man, and all the kzriders!!!!

1978 KZ1000A2

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
24 Dec 2010 07:20 #418421 by kz1k
ot sure what the thrust faces of the arm are larry.

1978 KZ1000A2

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
24 Dec 2010 07:20 #418422 by kz1k
not sure what the thrust faces of the arm are larry.

1978 KZ1000A2

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
24 Dec 2010 14:55 #418462 by kz1k
well everything is lose fit and tacked. dont let the cuts scare you, they are just tacked out and will be welded flush when all is said and done. im about 1/16" out of square. ill make up for it here during the process. waiting to hear from larry on what i need to do next. put the egg nog down larry!:laugh:

merry christmas everyone!:)

1978 KZ1000A2

Attachments:

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
24 Dec 2010 14:57 #418463 by kz1k
heres another shot!

1978 KZ1000A2

Attachments: