The Mosquito!

More
15 Apr 2011 20:31 #444819 by scott s
Replied by scott s on topic The Mosquito!
For the shifter, we cut the stock shifter...

Mocked it up with some stiff aluminum wire...

And bent a stiff rod and threaded both ends to fit the joints we had. It also works great. I can easily get all the gears, even without a clutch cable hooked up or the engine running.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2011 20:33 #444821 by scott s
We cut up the stock muffler hanger to make a center stand stop. This will be bolted to the left rear set bracket.

More
15 Apr 2011 20:36 #444822 by scott s
We also went to the local bike shop, who graciously let us wander around in the back room, and we found a front brake cable that was the perfect length.
We had to cut and shorten the throttle cable, though. The clutch cable is getting shortened in the next day or two.
Installed the chain and carb, too.

More
15 Apr 2011 20:49 - 15 Apr 2011 20:49 #444823 by gengomerpyle
Replied by gengomerpyle on topic The Mosquito!

scott s wrote: We also went to the local bike shop, who graciously let us wander around in the back room, and we found a front brake cable that was the perfect length.
We had to cut and shorten the throttle cable, though. The clutch cable is getting shortened in the next day or two.
Installed the chain and carb, too.

its looking great, when do you plan on starting it?

1982 GPZ750R1 ELR
1978 Honda CB750F SuperSport
1971 Honda CB750K
1970 Honda CL100 Scrambler
Last edit: 15 Apr 2011 20:49 by gengomerpyle.

More
15 Apr 2011 20:57 - 13 Feb 2012 18:37 #444826 by KZ250LTD
Replied by KZ250LTD on topic .

79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.
Last edit: 13 Feb 2012 18:37 by KZ250LTD.

More
15 Apr 2011 21:14 #444829 by T_Dub
Replied by T_Dub on topic The Mosquito!
Very nice work, very much liking this build.

1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler

More
15 Apr 2011 21:53 #444846 by scott s

gengomerpyle wrote: its looking great, when do you plan on starting it?

Well, next up is wiring. I came across a very clean stock wiring harness, so that should go quickly. Only have to modify a couple of things....rear brake light, tach/speedo lights, rig up a neutral light, etc.
Once that's done, I can get a battery and some fuel and see what happens! Oh yeah....we have to fab up an exhaust, too.

More
15 Apr 2011 21:56 - 15 Apr 2011 21:57 #444847 by scott s

KZ250LTD wrote: You guys do some very nice work that is going to be one nice little bike!

If you're thinking about resale at all, yellow is statistically the slowest selling colour

Thanks! And while I'm not 100% sure on ANY color scheme yet, yellow isn't even in the top three.

Thank you, too, T-Dub. It especially makes my Dad proud for people to appreciate our work.
Last edit: 15 Apr 2011 21:57 by scott s.

More
19 Apr 2011 07:36 #445481 by TNBOBBER
Replied by TNBOBBER on topic The Mosquito!
I noticed on your brake control, you used a very short arm on your oe pivot point. From experience, I know this will need to be longer (4" or greater). I started out with about 6" and it worked great, but when I shorten it to 4" it was border line too short. I'm enjoying your build, keep up the good work and post.

Sometimes God doesn't calm the storm, He calms us in the storm.

More
19 Apr 2011 09:16 #445490 by scott s

TNBOBBER wrote: I noticed on your brake control, you used a very short arm on your oe pivot point. From experience, I know this will need to be longer (4" or greater). I started out with about 6" and it worked great, but when I shorten it to 4" it was border line too short. I'm enjoying your build, keep up the good work and post.

You mean the arm the linkage bolts to? Why do you say that? What happens when it's too short? The bike's not running yet, but it seems to operate the brake just fine.

More
19 Apr 2011 09:19 #445491 by scott s
Got 98% of the wiring done. The rest will be figured out once I have a battery in the bike and can test a few things.
I mounted the fuse box on the inner fender, under the seat. I had a spare fuse box from a junk wiring harness, so we gutted it and mounted it to use as storage for spare fuses and maybe even registration/insurance cards.

More
19 Apr 2011 09:22 #445492 by scott s
I bought some "idiot lights" for the neutral and high beam indicators. Using the rubber grommets for the stock handlebar risers....

....we installed them in the triple tree, along with the mini-gauges. Pretty clean look, huh? I'm thinking the ignition switch will go in the center at the front of the triple tree. Still have to work that out.