The Mosquito!

More
02 Sep 2011 22:30 #473919 by scott s
Replied by scott s on topic The Mosquito!
The muffler is doing and sounding fine, except for a hanger bolt that vibrated loose on the last ride. I've already replaced it and used a self-locking washer, but the WORST part of that ride was the throttle cable breaking.
I THOUGHT I knew how to silver solder.....
Even a 250 lb. bike gets heavy when you have to push it half a mile to get off the main road and into a driveway so you can use the cell phone.

I was all set to try again using a solder pot when I found a throttle cable for a KZ200 that looks perfect and it was only $11.99 shipped. It's on the way and I'll let you know how that goes.

Until then, more gratuitous shots...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Sep 2011 22:32 #473920 by scott s
Oh, and forgot to add...after much jetting, I think I have the carb dialed in. Runs great with no stumbles. Oiling the filter helped a bunch. I may go down one more size on the main one of these days, but I want to ride it for a while first.

More
02 Sep 2011 22:50 #473923 by indianajames
Replied by indianajames on topic The Mosquito!
hey scott in the last photo it looks as if your carb is leaning or twisted to the throttle side . just illusion?

More
02 Sep 2011 22:57 #473926 by scott s

indianajames wrote: hey scott in the last photo it looks as if your carb is leaning or twisted to the throttle side . just illusion?

That's because it's loose in the manifold from where I removed the broken throttle cable. Good eye, though!

More
02 Sep 2011 23:20 #473929 by indianajames
great bike man ! havnt finished reading the build but hows the dupli chrom paint holding up , is it on the engine aswell?
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZJOE900

More
03 Sep 2011 00:02 #473935 by indianajames
finished reading the build . nice work , saveing that little baby. just would like to know your method of detailing the engine , looks as good as new ! thanx for shareing

More
03 Sep 2011 07:31 #473975 by scott s
The Dupli-Chrome paint is holding up well. Admittedly, I don't have a ton of miles on it yet, though. My one complaint: It shows fingerprints and smudges kinda easy on the wheel hibs, etc. I should have clear coated it when I had it all taped up.

Detailing the engine: degreaser, paint,aluminum polish,tape, elbow grease. Nothing magic there.

More
03 Sep 2011 11:34 #474001 by Bad Kaw
Replied by Bad Kaw on topic The Mosquito!
Badges look good. The bike came out NICE. Well done!
-KR

78 Kawasaki Z1R
81 Kawasaki KZ1000J (mods)
82 Kawasaki ELR Clone (1000 J)
82 Kawasaki KZ750R1/GPz750 ELR-ed
70 Kawasaki KV75
83 Honda CB1100F (few mods)
79 Suzuki GS1000 (rolling frame / project / junk)
84 Suzuki GS1150ES (modified project)
83 Yamaha XJ900R (project / junk)

• KZ_Rage
  • User
  • Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
More
03 Sep 2011 11:59 #474010 by KZ_Rage
Replied by KZ_Rage on topic The Mosquito!
Wow, just read all this thread and it's amazing! Fantastic project and final result! Got a shot of you riding it now?

1979 KZ1000E1 SOLD!
1984 KZ550F2 SOLD!
2006 ZG1000A6F (Totaled)
2001 ZRX1200R (Sold)
2001 Sprint 955i ST (daily rider)

More
03 Sep 2011 20:50 #474086 by scott s
Thanks, guys. As soon as the new throttle cable gets here I'll get some riding pics and, hopefully, video.

More
04 Sep 2011 08:53 #474129 by jydog
Replied by jydog on topic The Mosquito!
Cool bike man, looks like a lot of fun to ride. Nice work.

81 KZ1000 LTD
Griffin GA

More
04 Sep 2011 09:10 #474130 by indianajames
thanx scott , i had the same experience with the dupli chrom paint smudging and showing prints , i thought i just had an old can or something . i have noticed the longer it was on there the less this would happen . i also washed the bike a few times a couple weeks apart and after drying i spray some pleadge furnature polish on and polish off with a rag . i also use the amorall wash n wax stuff to wash . this prosess has kept all my paint and polished aluminium looking like day one. could you tell me the kind of paint you used on the engine and who made your badges ? any chance of video? would love to hear the little screamer!