The Mosquito!

More
01 Apr 2011 18:36 #441992 by scott s
Replied by scott s on topic The Mosquito!
I'll be using the plastic inner fender....part of it, anyway. I sawed off about a quarter of it overall. This will all be hidden under the seat and inside the frame and still provide a little protection to the battery and electrics, as well as giving us a place to mount the fuse box.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Apr 2011 18:39 #441995 by scott s
Here are some more shots showing how we mounted the tank. We plan on using a strip of velcro across the rear mount and maybe adding a couple of rubber snubbers to the frame at the front, just to keep any wobble to a minimum.
The nut at the front has a hole drilled and tapped all the way through the backbone, so it snugs up real nice.

More
01 Apr 2011 20:54 #442025 by scott s
We also had a change of plans on the rear set mounts. We made up some brackets using these templates, but they were just WAY too thin. Even doubled up, they flexed and bent.

More
01 Apr 2011 20:55 #442026 by scott s
So we made some plates out of MUCH thicker metal and welded them on.

More
01 Apr 2011 20:56 #442027 by scott s
Using this method, we were able to use the mounting plates that came with the rear sets.

More
03 Apr 2011 20:53 #442427 by scott s
Restored my handle bar controls this weekend.

More
03 Apr 2011 21:06 #442429 by T_Dub
Replied by T_Dub on topic The Mosquito!
That is going to be one wicked cool bike!!

1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler

More
03 Apr 2011 22:17 #442447 by Topper
Replied by Topper on topic The Mosquito!

scott s wrote: Restored my handle bar controls this weekend.

Those look great! I'd love to hear how you did this. Is it just rattle can spray paint? How'd you do the lettering?

Permanent and perpetual noob.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

More
03 Apr 2011 22:46 #442456 by scott s
Yes, it's just rattle can. Taped up everything very carefully, removed the switch covers that screw on, sanded the housings lightly and spray bombed them.

The lettering is leftover stuff from an XS650 project. There was a guy on ebay and some of the XS forums selling these sheets of stickers for the Yamaha controls. It just so happened that I had enough left over that matched the KZ250 controls.

More
03 Apr 2011 23:31 #442471 by Topper
I didn't realize they're stickers. They look really good. The letters on the controls for my KZ750 are stamped in and painted.

I've been trying to figure out how I'd refurbish them. I don't think I have a steady enough hand to repaint the letters with a brush.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

More
04 Apr 2011 12:59 #442560 by scott s
That's how my CB500 controls are. I've had mixed results painting them in. One set turned out great, the other...well, I'm redoing that set.

One trick is to load up the depressions with a little more paint than you need. Give it just a couple of minutes and then smear it off. The paint in the depressions stays and you can wipe off the paint that smeared across the body of the controls. You only have a short window of working time, though. I also use a sharpened toothpick to dab it in the dots, etc.

More
04 Apr 2011 13:07 #442561 by Topper

scott s wrote: That's how my CB500 controls are. I've had mixed results painting them in. One set turned out great, the other...well, I'm redoing that set.

One trick is to load up the depressions with a little more paint than you need. Give it just a couple of minutes and then smear it off. The paint in the depressions stays and you can wipe off the paint that smeared across the body of the controls. You only have a short window of working time, though. I also use a sharpened toothpick to dab it in the dots, etc.

I'd love to see a tutorial on this somewhere. Ok, I'm done hijacking your thread. Sorry.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys