Picked up a 1982 kz750 .

• MuzzleMike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Rice Only
More
06 Mar 2011 01:08 #435419 by MuzzleMike
Replied by MuzzleMike on topic Picked up a 1982 kz750 .
After looking closer at the manual I found out that since I have the older coils changing the plug wires is not an option do to the wires being molded to the coils . If the wires are to short I will have to use a Plug Wire Splicer . Instead of shooting in the dark what I will do is find my ohm meter and do a secondary winding check . That will let me know if the wire is bad . To make shore that it is getting a good connection to the resister I will trim just a little bit of the end to make shore it is not a bad connection . I remember that I did remove a little off of the ends off of One and two back before I started in September . This might just fix the problem .

Mike

82 KZ750 LTD H3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Mar 2011 06:03 #435432 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Picked up a 1982 kz750 .
MuzzleMike wrote:

...have the older coils...plug wires...molded to the coils. If the wires are to short I will have to use a Plug Wire Splicer . Instead of shooting in the dark what I will do is find my ohm meter and do a secondary winding check . That will let me know if the wire is bad . To make shore that it is getting a good connection to the resister I will trim just a little bit of the end to make shore it is not a bad connection . I remember that I did remove a little off of the ends off of One and two back before I started in September. This might just fix the problem....

Might pass the ohm test, but old hard worn cracked deteriorated plug wires are prone to leakage when the engine is running.

Have no experience with using the plug wire splicer, but would consider applying that investment instead to new coils and Dyna solid core spark plug wires (available from Z1E).

Where the coil itself is relatively new with a relatively long life expectancy, and for whatever reason needs a fresher or longer plug wire, then perhaps the splicer would be a more viable option.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
06 Mar 2011 06:17 - 11 Feb 2013 13:14 #435433 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic -
-
Last edit: 11 Feb 2013 13:14 by martin_csr.

• MuzzleMike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Rice Only
More
06 Mar 2011 16:43 #435673 by MuzzleMike
martin_csr wrote:

....After looking closer at the manual.... I have the older coils changing the plug wires is not an option do to the wires being molded to the coils . ...

Are you sure about that? Your bike should have come stock w separate coils. There should be a ribbed compression boot where the plug wires meet the coils. Unscrew those & unscrew the plug wires. Inspect the coils for cracks or damage. Maybe they need replacing, but I would test them cold & hot.

Martin I have not been out to my garage yet to look at them . I am just going buy what my manual is leading me . I do remember that it has ends like the ends of this splicer from Z1 .

In the case that the wires are replace able I am all over that . I do have good access to just the wires . If they are replaceable I will go a head and do all of them .

Mike

82 KZ750 LTD H3

• MuzzleMike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Rice Only
More
08 Mar 2011 13:47 #436221 by MuzzleMike
ALL RIGHT !!!! I found the problem !!!! First off the manual was wrong again . The plug wires do come off . It had 2 bad plug wires . I got my meter out and the coils check to be OK . I am going to auto zone and pick up 2 auto plug wires and cut them down and change all of them . YES I am stoked . I am so close .

Mike

82 KZ750 LTD H3

More
08 Mar 2011 15:22 #436246 by Patton
MuzzleMike wrote:

ALL RIGHT !!!! I found the problem !!!! First off the manual was wrong again . The plug wires do come off . It had 2 bad plug wires . I got my meter out and the coils check to be OK . I am going to auto zone and pick up 2 auto plug wires and cut them down and change all of them . YES I am stoked . I am so close .

Mike

New plug wires are a step in the right direction, and may help immensely, but new wires alone don't address the prospect of less than perfect caps.

A set of new Dyna plug wires (from Z1E) would imo be preferable because they come with caps already built in, and at a very reasonably price.

Plug caps are subject to deterioration over the years and thereby playing havoc with performance of the secondary loop.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• MuzzleMike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Rice Only
More
09 Mar 2011 13:59 #436555 by MuzzleMike
I have to pic up an air filter and the round cap for it a set of front brake pads and a front tire and finally a foot peg for the left side front . But she is running!!!!!!!!! All 4 cylinders . I took the plug wires off of my 440 parts bike and they where newer and she came to life and she is load in my garage . My next question is how high should it Idle ?
I have her idling at 2 grand is that way to high ?

Mike

82 KZ750 LTD H3

More
09 Mar 2011 14:05 #436559 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Picked up a 1982 kz750 .
1,000 RPM. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
09 Mar 2011 14:07 #436560 by Patton
MuzzleMike wrote:

I have to pic up an air filter and the round cap for it a set of front brake pads and a front tire and finally a foot peg for the left side front . But she is running!!!!!!!!! All 4 cylinders . I took the plug wires off of my 440 parts bike and they where newer and she came to life and she is load in my garage . My next question is how high should it Idle ?
I have her idling at 2 grand is that way to high ?

Mike

Would prefer 1000~1200 rpm idle, which should be strong and steady and smooth on a well-tuned engine.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• MuzzleMike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Rice Only
More
09 Mar 2011 15:29 #436574 by MuzzleMike
Good I got it down to between a grand and 1500 . I will work it down jut a little bit . I was worried about everything being so old but I have to tell all of you this thing pers like a kitten and take throttle nice . It does take a couple of minutes to worm up but that is it .

Mike

82 KZ750 LTD H3

• MuzzleMike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Rice Only
More
10 Mar 2011 12:58 #436808 by MuzzleMike
I was out buttoning things up on her and I put the seat down and then I gave it some throttle and there was a lot less popping I think once I get the filer and the cap for it it should settle down and I do have a bad exost clap but no leaks what I was feeling was the whole that lets the mufflers drain .The only thing that I could not fix that I set out to do was repair the oil light . I found out that there is a wire that broke right at the bulb plug . I figured that light is not really need as long as I keep an eye on the oil . I got the Idle down to a grand and she is happy there . On the down side I am running out of little things to do on here I am going to have to brake open my wallet and spend some cash and get her down and on the road . This is so cool .

Mike

82 KZ750 LTD H3

• MuzzleMike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Rice Only
More
16 Mar 2011 16:26 #438444 by MuzzleMike
I tried Goo Gone and a hair drier and that did not work . I went and tried some ginger nail palish remover and a hair drier and it came off . After a good cleaning and sanding I primed and painted the covers . I did forget to pick up some clear coat but I can get the a little later . Here is some pics of prime and paint .

I do have to put a couple of coats of color and a little more sanding but I think they are coming nice .

Mike

82 KZ750 LTD H3