Picked up a 1982 kz750 .

• MuzzleMike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Rice Only
More
03 Jan 2011 17:23 #419938 by MuzzleMike
Replied by MuzzleMike on topic Picked up a 1982 kz750 .
Good news today . I got my starter in . Tomorrow I will be going out and getting the battery and a couple of small odds and ends like a 30 amp fuse and oil and about 5 bolts . Wednesday looks like the day I will be pushing the fire button . With luck she should fire right . Today I went out and tinkered and adjusted the chain . If I can come across a drivers left foot peg I could test drive the old girl if she starts but that is like putting the cart before the horse . :unsure:

Mike

82 KZ750 LTD H3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MuzzleMike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Rice Only
More
04 Jan 2011 16:31 #420073 by MuzzleMike
I got the stater installed today along with battery and some other hard ware . I did not let the battery charge up all the way ( Got to antsy ) she cranked over and puffs of smoke came out of the tail pipes and a couple of bangs . She tried to start but the battery just was not turning it over fast in-of . I will let the Battery charge over night . Better luck tomorrow .

Mike

82 KZ750 LTD H3

• MuzzleMike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Rice Only
More
05 Jan 2011 12:54 #420201 by MuzzleMike
I drained the carbs today and tried to get the old girl to start but I think the Battery that I picked up is just to small . At first for a second it will turn over ok but it will drop fast . I am going to see if I can find my jumper cables . I will hook the bike up to my SUV . If my battery in my SUV will turn it self over it should turn my bike over . Of cores the bike might have a bigger motor than the one in my SUV . It seem like it just is not turning over fast inof . I did notice that it is firing but it is stumbling like not all cylinders are firing but that could be from lack of speed . I might need to remove the carbs to clean but I hope not . I am thinking . I seen these plug resister caps on Jcwhitney the light up when they fire . Now I did hear that they are not aloud around here to keep on but I could use them to help fine problems . If any one has not hard of these here is a link .

www.jcwhitney.com/flashing-sp...=d10293y1982j3

With the temps dropping down on me I will have to stop for a little while . :(

Mike

82 KZ750 LTD H3

• MuzzleMike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Rice Only
More
07 Jan 2011 19:58 #420664 by MuzzleMike
Yet another update : Today was just one of those days . I went out and pulled the plugs and cleaned them and turned the motor over and nothing came out . So I put the plugs back in and tried to state it more if the same pop pop pop . sounded like one cylinder was doing it so I pulled the plug wires and cranked it over several times then pulled the plugs all where dry as can be but one . I know the gas is getting to the carbs but ether the gas is not getting into the carbs or the ports are plugged . So I had this Idea lets try draining the carbs . I did try 3 and 4 absolutely no gas came out . Looks like I will be getting into the carbs . Number 2 was the one that had the wet plug and I was told it was worked on before the starter gave out and it was parked . Before I got the starter I was going over everything and drained the carbs and nothing came out of 3 and 4 then . But hay it is turning over much better since the battery is fully charged .:S

Mike :ohmy:

82 KZ750 LTD H3

• MuzzleMike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Rice Only
More
07 Jan 2011 20:35 #420669 by MuzzleMike
I was wondering should I start by trying and just soak the carbs all together in gas and then use compressed air to blow them out ? I would rather stay away from removing them off of the rack if I can . I was thinking about giving them a good soaking and scrubbing .

Mike

82 KZ750 LTD H3

• MuzzleMike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Rice Only
More
10 Jan 2011 16:36 #421311 by MuzzleMike
I have not been able to get out and work on the old KZ but my plans are to take the carbs off and do a good cleaning . I do not have a filter inline but I will put one in before I try starting it . I will get pics on the carb cleaning .

Mike

82 KZ750 LTD H3

• MuzzleMike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Rice Only
More
13 Jan 2011 11:38 #421857 by MuzzleMike
Well It is a great day in America . I got to work on the KZ today . I got the carbs off . I read the manual and no where in that thing it says you have to speak in tungs and do a ceremonial dance . I had to but I got those things off . I took the 3 carbs apart that I was not getting fuel from and they had so much gunk in them it was unreal . I got the cleaned up like new . I lost one of the little clips that folds the float needle . I am wondering if they are the same as most small motors ? I will end up get one from some place and then I will take the last carb apart and get it cleaned and put back on the Bike .

Mike

82 KZ750 LTD H3

• MuzzleMike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Rice Only
More
13 Jan 2011 12:24 #421872 by MuzzleMike
I had a brain fart ! :blink: I have the old 440 I should be able to get the clip from .

82 KZ750 LTD H3

More
13 Jan 2011 17:30 #421954 by Marneman
Replied by Marneman on topic Picked up a 1982 kz750 .
Sounds like you're making good progress. Keep it up!

77 KZ1000-A1 "Bushido" Project
82 KZ1000 LTD "Terri Lee"

You know what, I don't have a one to some other number of douche-bag scale. So.. Six!

• MuzzleMike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Rice Only
More
13 Jan 2011 19:42 #421995 by MuzzleMike
Thanks I am bound to get this bike up and running . I can not wait . I have a couple of rides I would like to go on this summer . Places that I have not bin to since I was a kid with my Father . :( I hope I will remember to get pics tomorrow . Sorry I was to much into the zone when I was working today . I have to remember to show all of you what I have done .

Mike

82 KZ750 LTD H3

• MuzzleMike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Rice Only
More
25 Jan 2011 22:47 #425608 by MuzzleMike
The temps are going up . It looks like I will be getting to work on the old girl . I am not looking foreword to getting back into those carbs but it is a step to getting that puppy running .

Mike

82 KZ750 LTD H3

• MuzzleMike
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Rice Only
More
20 Feb 2011 15:57 #432167 by MuzzleMike
I have not been working on the old girl for some time but the weather warmed up last Friday . I was able to get out and clean my carbs . They came out nice but I will have to come up with a wire clip for a float needle valve . Today the temps dropped so I decided to do some chrome cleaning . I took the mirrors off and used a little aluminum foil and water and went at it . They are not like new but look good for being 29 years old . Here is a pic of my work on the Mirrors . The left one was done .

Mike

82 KZ750 LTD H3