OMR's 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
13 Feb 2011 08:29 #430397 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic OMR's 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD
Patton wrote:

Old Man Rock wrote:

...Still have some other ideas such as 2-2 pipes coming out on each side... Think mini Yoshi's....

THAT is a very unique pipe! I've never seen on like it before.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
13 Feb 2011 08:34 - 13 Feb 2011 08:35 #430398 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic OMR's 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD
Old Man Rock wrote:

Naw, was thinking of using your old thick RANGER head.... That be about the same density as a tree stump.... :P ROFLMFAO!!!!!

OMR knocks on Plumi's door... Hi Plumi, Hi OMR BAM... Perfect bend... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

As mentioned, yup, have some additional tweaks such as Tek mentioned raise tighter to frame, and re-work the tail exhaust bends... I'd prefer less bend angles for flow and ease of work involved...

The exhaust risers are 32" but most likely will shorten (collector end) to 30-31". Most of the riser length dimensions I have off 3rd party 4-1 exhausts run in this range.

Still have some other ideas such as 2-2 pipes coming out on each side... Think mini Yoshi's.... B)

Obviously, the PVC collector isn't ideal, this was only to simulate & collect all 4 pipes together and give me the mind sight of what will be required in the actual steel revision.

Still have a considerable amount of research and testing to accomplish for the designs I end up with...

His wife frequently takes that approach with a rolling pin :laugh: Try to miss that flat spot or you'll be back doing it again :woohoo:

With all those Mountain Dew cans sitting around you can make him a nice aluminum cannister for his pipe ;)
Last edit: 13 Feb 2011 08:35 by larrycavan.

• Old Man Rock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Feb 2011 10:46 - 13 Feb 2011 10:48 #430416 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic OMR's 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: You should hear what the wife had to say when Plumi called at midnight all cranked up on the Dew's....

She was not impressed with Plumi to say the least.... :angry: :laugh:

A little clean up closer to the frame and exhaust tail section.... Plenty of clearance around oil filter cover.

Also notice if I shorten the risers to 30", should provide clearances for the center stand... Down fall shifts the power band up into higher rpm range.... Interesting dilemma :S, what to do, what to do .....

I guess I could compensate by extending the tail exhaust section a couple inches... :X :whistle: or use different diameter tubing.... Hmmm... Back to research/drawing board.... :X

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Feb 2011 10:48 by Old Man Rock.

More
13 Feb 2011 12:06 #430427 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic OMR's 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD
oh that poor piece of abs pipe! you obviously never took the plumb-icratic oathe,do no harm to plumbing! :woohoo:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
13 Feb 2011 12:08 #430429 by PLUMMEN
larrycavan wrote:

Old Man Rock wrote:

Naw, was thinking of using your old thick RANGER head.... That be about the same density as a tree stump.... :P ROFLMFAO!!!!!

OMR knocks on Plumi's door... Hi Plumi, Hi OMR BAM... Perfect bend... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

As mentioned, yup, have some additional tweaks such as Tek mentioned raise tighter to frame, and re-work the tail exhaust bends... I'd prefer less bend angles for flow and ease of work involved...

The exhaust risers are 32" but most likely will shorten (collector end) to 30-31". Most of the riser length dimensions I have off 3rd party 4-1 exhausts run in this range.

Still have some other ideas such as 2-2 pipes coming out on each side... Think mini Yoshi's.... B)

Obviously, the PVC collector isn't ideal, this was only to simulate & collect all 4 pipes together and give me the mind sight of what will be required in the actual steel revision.

Still have a considerable amount of research and testing to accomplish for the designs I end up with...

His wife frequently takes that approach with a rolling pin :laugh: Try to miss that flat spot or you'll be back doing it again :woohoo:

With all those Mountain Dew cans sitting around you can make him a nice aluminum cannister for his pipe ;)

yeah its on the right side of my head,so make sure to bend it around the left side! :laugh:

More
13 Feb 2011 12:43 #430437 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic OMR's 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD
larrycavan wrote:

...[Plum's] wife frequently takes that approach with a rolling pin....

We could all learn from OMR. B)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

• Old Man Rock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
20 Feb 2011 15:29 #432161 by Old Man Rock
1st attempt at Hand bending....

Top left, pipe filled with dried out sand & packed....
As can be reviewed, made a few mistakes...
Oopsie... :blush:

I'm thinking I need one of two additional things in this process... Definitely more heat and possibly a 1.5" die to bend around....

Same time, only my fist attempt... Outer pipe fairly smooth and dimple free....

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:

More
20 Feb 2011 15:53 #432164 by PLUMMEN
weld a scrap piece of heavy walled 3-4" scrap pipe onto your bench to bend it around and another one as a stop to hold it from moving on the top,do same thing for bottem bend.
use those fancy plastic pipes you bent as template as to where to weld pipes to bench. B)

More
20 Feb 2011 15:56 #432166 by PLUMMEN
remember that sand is sucking a lot of heat out of that pipe as youre heating it,get somebody to run the torch while you yank on the pipe! :laugh:
send me a plane ticket and ill come be your torch boy,but you can yank on your own damn pipe! :woohoo:

• Old Man Rock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
20 Feb 2011 17:11 #432186 by Old Man Rock
One thing I've learned from this so far... Increased respect for the old school ways no doubt... Under this method, makes me also realize why they went with curved risers..............

Ah well, practice and practice some more.... By the time I get it down... the exhaust will cost me more in crap tubing then the Moriwaki would...:blink: :laugh:

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler

Phoenix, Az

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
21 Feb 2011 12:39 #432419 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic OMR's 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD
Old Man Rock wrote:

Also notice if I shorten the risers to 30", should provide clearances for the center stand... Down fall shifts the power band up into higher rpm range.... Interesting dilemma :S, what to do, what to do .....

Try advancing you're inital timing some... works nicely ;)

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

More
22 Feb 2011 08:43 #432674 by 44Turbo
Replied by 44Turbo on topic OMR's 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD
OMR-What a fantastic Idea of using pvc for pipe mockup! Did you fill the pvc with sand then heat to bend? I am the original owner of a 1978 kz1000 ltd and want to change the exhaust from stock setup to 4-1 (would also like to build my own). What components will you be using for the collector, connection to the muffler, possible mufflers or homemade, and how are you fabricating the fixed flange on the head end of the header pipes (is there a premade piece or are you making it and how)?

*1978 KZ1000 LTD orig. owner (in pieces awaiting ambition and $)
*2001 ZX9R (green and mean-a 2 wheeled John Deere on steroids)