A Newbies Adventures in Maintenanceland!

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
28 Sep 2010 16:55 - 28 Sep 2010 16:56 #402545 by 9am53
Replied by 9am53 on topic A Newbies Adventures in Maintenanceland!
It appears that there is only one nut, and as the wear marks indicate I have been working on the smaller one.

I may have to try the dremel...I have been having bad luck with my dremel tool lately though. One of the brake calipers on this bike had a broken off bleeder screw, so I drilled out the little hole a bit, inserted my screw extractor, and sure enough it broke. I couldn't drill it out because the extractor was harder than the screw, so I tried notching the top and removing it with a flathead. Just like the bloody rotor and this damn nut it was not letting go, so now I am in the market for a new caliper...That reminds me, I need to make some measurements for tri...
Last edit: 28 Sep 2010 16:56 by 9am53.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Sep 2010 17:03 #402548 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic A Newbies Adventures in Maintenanceland!
If needed, here's a neat way to hold the countershaft sprocket in position while struggling to loosen the nut.

kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...5119&catid=21#325119

When drilling out a broken off threaded shank, it's sometimes easier to use a reverse cutting drill bit, which tends toward removing the broken piece as it's being drilled.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
28 Sep 2010 17:10 #402550 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic A Newbies Adventures in Maintenanceland!
Do you buy all your bikes from Godzilla? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
28 Sep 2010 17:12 #402551 by 9am53
That is a good idea, but I have no spare chain! lol. I am going to return my impact gun and get one that makes more torque, and borrow my neighbors non-shitty compressor and try that after I take the torch to it again. With the impact gun I shouldn't need to lock the sprocket so we'll see. I am definitely going to keep the better impact gun as I fell in love with even the shitty one, just need to get a decent compressor of my own.

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
28 Sep 2010 17:18 #402554 by 9am53
Patton wrote:

Do you buy all your bikes from Godzilla? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Well, to be honest I had my doubts when I was picking up the bike....mind you I got it for 250 bucks and it's mostly all there...the guy I got it from races in the canadian vintage association on a Z1 with a really nice harris frame. The guy told me that the association just opened his class up to the J engined kawis...so I asked him why he was using the decade older Z1 engine to race rather than the GPz engine since it was now legal...he kind of brushed it off. Maybe he knew it was a mess! lol

That's ok though, this is all gravy, soon enough the motor will be back to good and I will have suffered through another penniless winter getting it there lol. This is what it's all about for me, earning my summer enjoyment.

Thanks for your help btw, doing this on my own would suck.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
29 Sep 2010 07:27 - 29 Sep 2010 07:28 #402669 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic A Newbies Adventures in Maintenanceland!
maybe u could take the motor to a local garage. have them heat the nut and impact it off. they would have heavy duty equipt. they wouldnt likely charge much.
what do u need for a caliper? front or rear?
i have a spare rear 78, and mags and tires.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)
Last edit: 29 Sep 2010 07:28 by mark1122.

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
29 Sep 2010 07:42 #402674 by 9am53
I need a front right caliper for the GPz fork, I need to measure it up and see if its the same as tris off of the 550, likely not, but worth a try. I am hoping to find one at the swap meet this Sunday. If I can't find it I may just find a pair of newer calipers and make custom radial brackets for it.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
29 Sep 2010 08:16 #402683 by mark1122
9am53 wrote:

I need a front right caliper for the GPz fork, I need to measure it up and see if its the same as tris off of the 550, likely not, but worth a try. I am hoping to find one at the swap meet this Sunday. If I can't find it I may just find a pair of newer calipers and make custom radial brackets for it.

i see.
i hope we dont get rain on sat.
good luck

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
29 Sep 2010 08:20 #402684 by 9am53
I was planning on dropping by at shannonville saturday, but I am going with a couple buddies and Chris has a daughter and can't be gone the extra day, so sunday we are doing the iron butt!

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
29 Sep 2010 08:33 #402687 by mark1122
9am53 wrote:

I was planning on dropping by at shannonville saturday, but I am going with a couple buddies and Chris has a daughter and can't be gone the extra day, so sunday we are doing the iron butt!

Sunday looks cold and dry. 10*
bundle up.:)

01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
29 Sep 2010 16:25 #402748 by 9am53
after reading through that "powerbamd" thread today I realized that I have not checked my timing on the bike yet! I got my gun out and checked 1 and 4, and they were perfect, but I noticed that 2 and 3 don't have an timing marks! Is this a mess up on my advancer, or are they somehow taken using the 1 and 4 marks but on the bottom? I tried to look this up as I am sure this has been hashed out a million times but I couldn't find the answer. THanks

More
29 Sep 2010 18:36 #402771 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic A Newbies Adventures in Maintenanceland!
"but I noticed that 2 and 3 don't have an timing marks"...
Huh.... :huh:

Not sure I'm understanding where you're just not seeing it with your timing light or the advancer is not working or the advancer just doesn't have any 2/3 markings...

Ok, you have me baffled.... :blink:

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az