A Newbies Adventures in Maintenanceland!

More
27 Mar 2010 09:26 #356533 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic A Newbies Adventures in Maintenanceland!
your giving up way to easy sit back relax and take another crack at it you have done everything else pretty much yourself there is no black art to carbs no matter what some people would have other people believe. give the motor what it wants.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Mar 2010 13:11 - 29 Mar 2010 13:13 #356967 by sft1662
Replied by sft1662 on topic A Newbies Adventures in Maintenanceland!
You've got this... Yes, you can take it in to have a mechanic do it, but then when you run into carb trouble in 6months, you're going to be in the same position and even more hesitant to work on them. Just think how proud you'll be when you get it going!

Read ch. 26 of Zen & MM...you wont take it in after reading that :P (Dont fall victim to gumption traps), take a deep breath, make a pot of coffee... and get after it! :cheer:

PS, I'm taking my carbs apart for the first time this weekend... and if you give up on them, how am I (Ultimate Newb) supposed to succesfully clean and tune mine!? :blink:

Just giving you a hard time, I understand just wanting to ride - I'm dead-broke after buying my KZ650 only to realize week later I've been riding on 3 cylinders... ugh... I just wanna ride too! - but I'd love to see you get this puppy going all on your own.

Good Luck!

1978 KZ650 B2A
Last edit: 29 Mar 2010 13:13 by sft1662.

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
12 Apr 2010 17:09 #360186 by 9am53
Replied by 9am53 on topic A Newbies Adventures in Maintenanceland!
Long time no post...

I have pussied out and decided not to do my carbs...they are in the mail back to me and I should have them sometime this week so I can put them back in. I don't regret sending them out as I got some time to work on other things that needed attention. I got my risers in the mail today, and they are taller than I thought I needed, but alas, I need even taller! Drag bars can suck my balls!!! they have caused me so much grief in the last couple weeks I certainly do regret getting them. I am going to order some superbike bars from Z1 tomorrow; dammit.

Not only have the drag bars messed up my new paint, but now that I got the risers I had to swap around my new brake lines. All that time I spent bleeding them was for nothing as I had to do it all over again. The worst part is that I got the 2 front brake lines with slight angles on one of the fittings on each line...now that I had to switch them around they look all stupid, so I might as well just order a new set of front brake lines as the superbike bars will need more messing around AND longer lines. AND to top off my frustrating evening the basically straight drag bars make it difficult to mount my little maier fairing, so in the process of moving the front m/c on and off I bumped the mounting bracket on the starboard side and cracked the plastic fairing.

SO, I have to repaint my tank next winter, AND fix and repaint my fairing, AND order new brake lines, remove and reinstall all my handlebar stuff once I get the new ones, and oh yeah, my petcock bolts leaked gas all over the place.

I am pissed off and just want to ride the damn thing...

More
12 Apr 2010 18:04 #360197 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic A Newbies Adventures in Maintenanceland!
just a quick note, when you get your carbs back, if they are clean inside, go with 40 pilots 140 mains....that combo worked well for me when i ran a set of them...i dont know if this helps......keith

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
12 Apr 2010 18:57 #360214 by 9am53
The carbs will be clean inside, but will also have a dynojet kit in them. The dynojet mains seemed slightly lean based on what people were saying so I ordered a set of 135's as well. We'll see when I get them in.

More
12 Apr 2010 19:53 #360240 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic A Newbies Adventures in Maintenanceland!
pack em up and send em to omr,due to the goverment going broke his area 51 tour guide gig has dried up and he needs something to do with his time! :woohoo:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
13 Apr 2010 04:49 #360293 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic A Newbies Adventures in Maintenanceland!
Well hell ya... for $800 I'll fix them up freakin aye sweet... Includes shipping!

Here's what you'll get for the $$$...

A brand new set of Keihin CR Specials... That's right boys & girls, I'd toss them BS (bull shit) 34's in the junk heap and put the CR's on it....

As discussed with me... Even when tuned, jetted and operational, sure they'll work but.... Do the same with a new set of CR's... Hell, no comparison in response...

NOTE: Due to not all engines are 100% exactly the same, you still will have to accomplish the jetting for your engine, air flows, elevations, environmental conditions such as humidity, temperatures etc...

Oh yeah, almost forgot... For the price, I'll throw in a couple of Z1 stickers you can place over the tank dings..... Hide them FUBAB's up real nicely.

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
13 Apr 2010 05:06 #360297 by 9am53
aww shux, you guys! :lol:

Regarding the carbs, I was quite happy with the performance of the BullShiznit34 carbs before when the bike was running like hoop, so I am sure I will be happy with them once actually properly cleaned out and setup. I am certain that your carbs are likely better than my BS34's, BUT seeing how many people really like the BS34's and how happy I already was with them, I don't think your 29's are worth the price of another bike to me ;)

I was really pissy last night because things were just not going my way but I have calmed down. I have come to terms with the dings, no stickers required (I have more than enough already anyways :) ) When I get the superbike bars on there I am sure it will all look and feel great. I will just repaint the tank again next winter. I won't need to do any more motor work next winter (hopefully) so I will have lots of time to paint so I am not mad. It's just a matter of wasted money and time that is making me mad.

Hey OMR, when you hooked up your acewell tach did it simplify your wiring much? I would like to simplify the wiring in the front of the bike around the headlight area so I can hopefully fit all the wiring into the headlight bucket.

More
13 Apr 2010 05:30 #360303 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic A Newbies Adventures in Maintenanceland!
Due to all the wiring removed from the harness connections for the instrument cluster, sure it becomes cleaner but the ACEWELL or any other digital speedo with idiot lights still require electrical connections...

L/R turn signals, +12Vdc, ground, speed, tach, high beam, neutral & oil LED's.

As for the Tach, direct solder feed to primary 1/4 coil from DYna ignition... Speedo is magnetic pick up off front rotor.

Yes, cleaned it up dramatically if that was your question....

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:

More
14 Apr 2010 07:57 #360588 by Jonny
Replied by Jonny on topic A Newbies Adventures in Maintenanceland!
Wow!

9am, that's one hell of a comprehensive and well documented voyage through a rebuilt. Great work, and thanks for the constant updates, photos comments and attention to detail.

In some upcoming winter I think this sort of treatment will be in the cards for me, and I'm sure all sort of other new vintage bike owner. Like you, I have a fair background in turning wrenched, but don't yet know much of the ins and out of working on these old girls yet (Except for the little work I've done on my old bikes and my Dad's CB).

I can see this thread being a great reference/resource in the future. Good luck with the last of the persisting trouble, and the rest of the project/chassis work in the future.

Jonny

'78 KZ 650C2 'Lila'
'71 Norton Commando 750 'Eadie'

St. Catharines, ON (Mostly, anyway...)

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
14 Apr 2010 08:17 #360596 by 9am53
Thanks man! It was a voyage for me that's for sure. I can only hope that other noobs can use this as inspiration to try motorcycle mechanics out for themselves. Good luck for you in your project, I have my fingers crossed that I get my carbs today and can maybe ride tonight...

soon I will finishing the thread and riding instead. I am a poet and didn't know it. :)

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
16 Apr 2010 17:08 #361203 by 9am53
I got my carbs in the mail today. Installing carbs with no airbox is sSOOO much easier than with the box!!! I love it!!!

I am drunk now so this will be short, BUT the carbs are sick now!! The idle was still hanging, but as I realized a few weeks ago my throttle cable needs some adjusting, it is not returning to the rest position on the adjusting bolt. I will check it out tomorrow. It seemed like the pilot jets were off, but I will get the idle working properly before I start fuggin around with the screws. The idle screws are out 2.5 turns, is this a good starting point for BS34's with pods and pipe with dynojet stage 3?

Thanks, I am now going to watch Ottawa win...