Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1966 Kawasaki A1 Samurai restoration project 09 Nov 2011 16:08 #487782

• clutch
  • clutch's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
  • Thank you received: 12
It's starting to resemble a motorcycle again! I got the swingarm and lower triple clamp back on today. I think it was a good idea that I bought some new bearings. I dropped a ton of them trying to get them back in. I was glad I had plenty of extras! I also started priming the shock sleeves. Once that is done, I will spray on some of that metallic cobalt (dark blue) that I picked up to see how I like it. No pics today, but I will take some of where I'm at next time I'm in the garage :)
Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1966 Kawasaki A1 Samurai restoration project 10 Nov 2011 15:34 #487906

• clutch
  • User
Here's a pic of the frame. It's a terrible shot with the crapberry, but you can see the swingarm and lower clamp are back on the frame.

I sprayed a quick light coat of the metallic cobalt paint. Again, this isn't a great pic, but you get the idea. I know the metallic paint isn't "period correct", but I like it, and it will be the only part of the bike that is going to be "updated"

I need to find somewhere close by that sells fork oil. I tried my local shop, but they're out (don't seem to carry a lot of inventory), so I may run up to the other end of the county if I can't find something closer. I will be changing the fork oil today, and possibly getting the wheels ready to go back on too. :)
Southern Maryland, USA

1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

1966 Kawasaki A1 Samurai restoration project 10 Nov 2011 18:09 #487935

• clutch
  • User
I picked up some fork oil and changed that out. The srpings are well within spec, and measure like new ones, so I was going to reinstall them in the lower clamp, but....when I painted the lower clamp, I didn't think to tape off the inside part of the clamp. I now need to remove the paint there so I can reinstall the forks. Silly me...

:silly:
Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

1966 Kawasaki A1 Samurai restoration project 10 Nov 2011 23:38 #487984

• clutch
  • User
I got the forks on, started painting the headlight brackets (they slip over the fork tube between upper and lower triple clamps), and put air in the tires to see if I need to replace the tubes (if not, I will have spares :) ). I also used a little 3-in-1 oil on the moving parts of the front brake mechanism. If that doesn't loosen them up, I will need to take it completely apart to clean it up. Tomorrow I will be working on the rear brakes (new shoes), and getting the rear wheel ready to go back on. I should have the wheels back on in a few days, and will be moving on to soaking the carbs, and then tearing down the engine (I will have tons of questions about this part).
Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

1966 Kawasaki A1 Samurai restoration project 11 Nov 2011 00:20 #487994

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Lookin good!
Man you work fast. This is bike #2 in two months?

1966 Kawasaki A1 Samurai restoration project 11 Nov 2011 00:27 #487997

• clutch
  • User

loudhvx wrote: Lookin good!
Man you work fast. This is bike #2 in two months?

LOL! A little time in the garage almost every day goes a long way. And if it makes you feel any better, it took me over 2 years to get the 750 how I wanted it...but I was riding it while working on it too. That one is running great with the Dyna-S...just need to work on a couple of little things and be completely done with the kz. This project does seem to be getting done WAY faster than I expected though. If I can brave the cold in the garage this winter to finish it up, I will be riding this one in the spring! :)
Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

1966 Kawasaki A1 Samurai restoration project 11 Nov 2011 00:33 #487998

• clutch
  • User
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationDoes anyone have any experience with Emgo universal mufflers? I'm keeping my eye on these to replace the stock ones on the A1 that are dinged up.

I think they will look decent on the bike, and won't be too obvious that they are aftermarket, but not sure how they will sound on a little 2 stroke. Thoughts?
Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

1966 Kawasaki A1 Samurai restoration project 11 Nov 2011 15:54 #488060

• clutch
  • User
Here is where I was yesterday, with the swingarm and forks on

Then I put the front wheel back on today...that one shouldn't be too hard to clean up on the bike, but the rear wheel is a different story...

A little paint on the shock sleeves.

A little 3-in-1 oil on the read brake parts. Hopefully after a good soak, I will be able to remove the shoes and put the new ones on! (and I already removed the retaining clips in case you were going to suggest that ;) )

I want to test my tank and petcock for leaks, without putting gas in it (smells up the garage for days when it spills). Can I use water? I am thinking that it may promote rust, so I'm just asking to see what you guys say...
Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

1966 Kawasaki A1 Samurai restoration project 11 Nov 2011 17:13 #488067

• clutch
  • User
I got the rear brake shoes off finally. I had to remove the spring and pry the old shoes off. Thankfully the new shoes went on easy. The rear brake assembly is scuffed up pretty bad, so any ideas there are welcome. I'm hesitant to use sand paper, or any other abrasive, because the rest of the finish is still really shiny.

The shock sleeves are clear coated, and drying. I will have those back on tomorrow. Then, I will reinstall the sprocket carrier, and when the wheel and brake assembly are clean, those too. That will complete the rear end work.

The headlight sleeve/brackets will be clear coated tomorrow. Once those are dry enough to handle, I will reinstall. them, and the top clamp to complete the front end rebuild.

Once the front and rear end are complete, I will wheel the frame out to clean it up and polish the chrome/stainless.

:woohoo:
Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

1966 Kawasaki A1 Samurai restoration project 12 Nov 2011 17:03 #488200

• clutch
  • User
I got the front end and rear shocks "mocked up" (front end is finger tight, and rear shocks are just sitting in place. It's looking more and more like a motorcycle again! :woohoo:

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

1966 Kawasaki A1 Samurai restoration project 13 Nov 2011 03:25 #488263

• clutch
  • User
I tightened up all the bolts and such for the front end today, after I thought I had it properly aligned....but it is WAY off. I will have to realign it before riding, but I figure it may be a little easier with the handlebars on to get it true. As usual, any tips are appreciated :)
Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

1966 Kawasaki A1 Samurai restoration project 14 Nov 2011 01:50 #488395

• clutch
  • User
She's on two wheels again! Sorry, I only have a crappy cell phone pic that isn't even worth posting. I will take some pics soon, both before and after cleaning up the wheels. After that, my next step is to get the carbs soaking and start tearing into the engine. I'm going to do a complete tear-down, and rebuild (I think it will be easier to clean up the cases that way), and I will have TONS of questions...at the very least when putting it back together to make sure everything is correct.
Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...