Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Opening up airbox? 03 May 2016 20:53 #724437

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2626
I'm afraid the EPA and others are beating us down on that. I don't think there's one in our valley. :(
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Opening up airbox? 04 May 2016 05:06 #724459

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829

Nebr_Rex wrote: I'm just voicing my opinion in this thread just like everyone else.
I would like to see a dyno comparison of a stock airbox vs. a modified
airbox vs. individual filters. [ K&N or UN with a DynoJet kit ]

+1

The only real dyno comparison I have seen in which stock engines were used was done in 1983 by Cycle World (link below). It was a very comprehensive study using lots of dyno and track time with bikes being tuned in various ways by experts. The results did not show pods to offer realistic performance advantages on stock engines.

Some have stated that since those tests were performed better tuning components have become available, so the results of the 1983 tests are no longer valid. That may be true, but unfortunately no dyno evidence has been offered to substantiate that claim, so it remains dubious to me.

I would love to see a current dyno comparison between pods and the stock airbox on an otherwise stock (and properly running) KZ or other vintage bike. Such a comparison should be able to demonstrate whether or not tuning bits which are now available make pods a practical choice for those wishing to increase their bike's performance. Ed

kzrider.com/forum/3-carburetor/585949-po...-a-free-lunch#585949
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Opening up airbox? 04 May 2016 05:14 #724461

• GPzMOD750
  • User
  • Thank you received: 148
I don't need a dyno to know that my bike is responding better or not. I'm hard of hearing and the noise is nearly a moot pint. I may not be getting loads of extra power but it's running much smoother with a lot more spunk than it ever has.

If it were just the intake mod it may not have helped at all but with the header and Kerker it's really scooting down the road.

Opening up airbox? 04 May 2016 12:44 #724533

• tri650
  • tri650's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
OP here - never knew this would turn into such an interesting discussion. I originally got the idea from recommendations for my Honda CRF250L - where air restrictions were removed and the Uni filters put into the airbox. I know we are talking about a simple single vs. a four, but the original question was related to my success in opening up the CRF airbox and achieving more power. I put in a EFI programmer so it was easy to adjust fuel levels to compensate for any modifications.

I posted a new question about the impact of a more open exhaust on carburation.

Opening up airbox? 04 May 2016 12:56 #724538

• rrsmsw9999
  • User
  • Thank you received: 67
I have a nice 06 VN1500FI for sale. 22k. $4500. Near mint.

R
1980 KZ 1000E2
Crashed 6/2016

1980 KZ550A
Sold 3/2016

Opening up airbox? 04 May 2016 13:23 #724548

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Just got my filters. Small package, they must be tiny. Just got home so I will settle in and check them out. Hot down here. :dry:
Steve

Opening up airbox? 04 May 2016 15:30 #724574

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
These are not filters, they are vents. Being forward of the velocity stacks, the filter should handle most of the air. They will come in when the air box pressure gets close to negative. I bought a can of filter oil so I will clean my filter and oil it but I'm not sure of these vents. :dry:
Steve

Attachments:

Opening up airbox? 04 May 2016 17:41 #724598

• Kray-Z
  • User
  • I need more power Scotty....
  • Thank you received: 107

GPzMOD750 wrote: I don't need a dyno to know that my bike is responding better or not.

Maybe you can, but I don't know anyone who is gifted enough to correctly measure performance without a dyno, stopwatch, racetrack, or 1/4 mile ET and terminal velocity. Feel is one thing. Numbers are pretty hard to argue with, though.

I've heard it many times - "Yeah, I put in new {cam / heads / gears / pistons / valves / tires / filters / exhaust / headers / whatever....} and boy, it does it {fly / hit / launch / burn rubber / leave / top end / corner/ mid range / honk / shred / haul ass / rip / etc...}.

Trouble is, quite often the stopwatch, race track, ET, terminal velocity, and dyno all tell much different story....like one guy that dropped $5k in his motor. After testing it out on the road, he swore it was going to run low 10's! Well, it ran a whole 0.5 seconds quicker than my 12.6 second $500 beat up old stocker...and that is just one example.

Hell, before I realized how subjective my (senses) were, I believed I was pretty good at it, too. Guess what? Not so much....although I was ecstatic when my CBX went faster than I thought it could. I even beat a new (then) Ninja 900! But that is the only time I've ever been so freakin' overjoyed to find out I was wrong!

Still fun to feed BS to the rookies down on Main Street, though...
2-04 R1, 81 CSR1000, 81 LTD1000, 2-83 GPz1100, 3-79CBX, 81 CBX, 3-XS650, 84 Venture, +parts
Quote "speed costs money...how fast do you want to go?" (Which Z movie?)
Universal formula for how many motorcycles one should own = n + 1, where n is how many motorcycles you own right now....
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed

Opening up airbox? 04 May 2016 18:00 #724600

• JaFlo
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Yes, they are filtered "vents". They are most commonly put on the pre filter side of an air box. Search around and you will probably find a few examples of installations in the post filter side of a box. I'm going to install them backwards so the screen part is inside of the box, and epoxy them into place. If you are worried about not filtering enough, you could replace the included foam inserts with a higher density foam. I know UNI sells universal foam sheets of varying density.

Opening up airbox? 04 May 2016 18:05 #724602

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
Kray-Z wrote: "........ I don't know anyone who is gifted enough to correctly measure performance without a dyno, stopwatch, racetrack, or 1/4 mile ET and terminal velocity. Feel is one thing. Numbers are pretty hard to argue with, though."

I know I cannot personally feel the difference between 64 hp and 67hp or the difference between a 13.0 sec. 1/4 mile and a 13.2 sec. 1/4 mile. Like it or not, I am influenced by inputs to my senses which I cannot ignore even if I try. Things like sound, vibration, tactile sensations, etc. affect my perception of how fast I believe a car or bike accelerates, stops, etc. I suspect the same is true for nearly anyone who does not spend many hours per day as a professional whose job is racing or testing vehicles. There may be some others who have the natural ability to judge speed, acceleration, braking, etc., but I believe they are the exception rather than the norm. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Last edit: by 650ed.

Opening up airbox? 04 May 2016 18:13 #724605

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014

JaFlo wrote: Yes, they are filtered "vents". They are most commonly put on the pre filter side of an air box. Search around and you will probably find a few examples of installations in the post filter side of a box. I'm going to install them backwards so the screen part is inside of the box, and epoxy them into place. If you are worried about not filtering enough, you could replace the included foam inserts with a higher density foam. I know UNI sells universal foam sheets of varying density.

I'm not concerned with the filtering. My K&N is porous as well. If I don't like them I can get some snap in plugs. I also have a sheet of open cell foam. It will be fun to see how they work. B)
Steve

Opening up airbox? 04 May 2016 18:20 #724607

• daveo
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 636
Best fart vac available...

1982 KZ1100-A2

Attachments: