Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Opening up airbox? 27 Apr 2016 09:41 #723243

• floivanus
  • User
  • Thank you received: 116

GPzMOD750 wrote: Shit, we're just hot rodding. MOST of us, like modern hot rodders (or tuners, builders, etc.) are doing more show than go. We're happy to have something that runs and looks better than when we got it. If performance increases at the same time, especially over stock, that's gravy. Usually it's only in one or two categories and not overall. At least we haven't given then up for scrap. We all need some kind of hobby.

And most HP gains are made at the upper end of the power band which sacrifices low end grunt, a 650 or 750 doesn't have the greatest amount of torque, most kzs are peaky little motors, great for passing on the highway or short bursts down the dragstrip, not a lot to gain over a stock bore stock tune with stock carbs, guaranteed you will make better more noticeable gains with gears, tires, shocks and brakes than dealing with carbs, detonation and pinging. How many members have we seen come in asking about carb tube and end up turning into a never ending saga? Anytime I see a couple hundred bucks being tossed at a stock engine for a minor gain it gets amusing. The engine power of the kz line isn't dramatically out of line with more contemporary bikes, BUT the things I say are a much better focus are much more outdated.
my bikes; 80kz1000(project), 77 gl1000, 74 h2 (project)
Past; 78 kz1000, 83 kz550
Andrew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Opening up airbox? 27 Apr 2016 09:44 #723246

• missionkz
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 184

swest wrote: $10 for 5 HP is a good deal to me. Not a lot of useable room on my box. I might be able to use 4.
Steve

Steve, do you know where that 5 hp, for poking holes in the air box, came from?
I'd like to see some proof of that!!
LOL!
That would be a home run with basses loaded in the real world of bolt on HP tweaks!!
Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

Last edit: by missionkz.

Opening up airbox? 27 Apr 2016 10:08 #723251

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2627
I was being facetious.
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: missionkz

Opening up airbox? 27 Apr 2016 11:07 #723263

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
All I am hoping for is a little better performance at WOT. There may be little to gain with a stock configuration. :unsure:
Steve

Opening up airbox? 28 Apr 2016 16:01 #723519

• GPzMOD750
  • User
  • Thank you received: 148
I swung by the salvage yard on the way home and they still had the air box.

Now I have to clean out the mouse turds and dried weeds. When I got home there was a little package waiting for me too.

I'll have to figure out the best position for them and set them up. No hurry but for now I can cut the filter cap down and see what happens.

Opening up airbox? 28 Apr 2016 16:24 #723522

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
If you have the filters, why cut the cap down?
Steve

Opening up airbox? 28 Apr 2016 17:00 #723528

• GPzMOD750
  • User
  • Thank you received: 148

swest wrote: If you have the filters, why cut the cap down?
Steve

Why not in the mean time? I now have 2 so I can experiment.

Opening up airbox? 28 Apr 2016 17:03 #723530

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Got it. B)
Steve

Opening up airbox? 28 Apr 2016 20:05 #723559

• Nebr_Rex
  • User
  • Thank you received: 298

650ed wrote:

Nebr_Rex wrote: I cut my teeth on KZ650d's, KZ650b's and KZ750h's. I know what the airbox looks like on those models. You seem to not understand my post. What others have posted on this thread should shine some light on the subject. When it come to this topic you always seem to get up on your high horse and be the high and mighty/my way or the highway commentator. And why do people edit there post? I try to proofread my stuff before I put it out there.

I did not understand your post, and I still don't. If you "cut your teeth" on KZ650 and KZ750 bikes and know what their airboxes look like you should have understood that everything I stated in my posting is completely true and that I was giving good advise. Even though everything I stated was absolutely true you stated that my posting was BS and added the remark that "More of the unknowing misleading the uninformed." I truly do not understand why you would call my posting BS and attack me when all the things I stated are true.

I had stated 3 things and all 3 are absolutely true -

1. Drilling holes in the airbox would permit unfiltered air along with grit etc. to enter the carbs.
2. If he wanted to permit more air to pass through the filter he could modify the cap and its tube, but he would be wise to do that on a spare cap in case it hurt performance.
3. CV carbs are very sensitive to changes in airflow.

So no, I do not understand your posting since it is bogus. I pointed that out because anyone reading your post might be confused. It doesn't matter if you consider my pointing that out to be getting on my "high horse" or believe I have a "my way or the highway" attitude. The facts are the facts whether you want to accept them or not. If you still believe any of the statements I made to be BS PLEASE explain where I am wrong. Again, the facts are the facts, so if you have more accurate information please post it rather than simply making nasty comments. Ed

If you read the posts by undiablo, GPzMOD750, wrenchmonkey and JaFlo they point out it is all in the design of the airbox. Being the way the factory did it when the machine was originally produced or modified later on. Your claims are true to a certain extent, they are not absolute as you say they are. Maybe you didn't know all the facts I have just pointed out?

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

The following user(s) said Thank You: undiablo

Opening up airbox? 28 Apr 2016 20:25 #723561

• Nebr_Rex
  • User
  • Thank you received: 298

floivanus wrote: Unless you have it all sorted (brakes with good bite, good shocks, stiff rebuilt forks, modern compound tires, etc) you will always be money ahead doing that stuff first. Much better things to spend money on. I'm all for modifying, but if you want performance, a set of used cams, and a big bore kit isn't much more money than a dynojet kit and fancy k and n.

Real answer, if it runs fine and you have other things to focus on, do that first, stiffen the suspension up so you can rip into corners and enjoy backroads riding.

People are way too quick to dismiss stock carburetion setups on cars, bikes trucks etc. I have an 11 second small block camaro with a $50 quadrajet on it.

Big bore kit = $600 plus machine work [how much a hole?]
Good set of used cams = $100+ and reshimming?
DynoJet kit = $150-175
Individual K&N filters = $175

Let's see what happens at speed when some one with little experience misses "the setup".
What kind of air filtration do you have on that Camaro?

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

Opening up airbox? 28 Apr 2016 21:08 #723567

• floivanus
  • User
  • Thank you received: 116
The shop I used was $25 a hole, used big bore is cheaper than $600, that'd be where I would go, if I were doing engine work IF I wanted real results.

Nothing special on the Camaro, just a 750cfm quadrajet (every air and fuel passage modified basically) with a 14" x4 inch spectre air filter. All the money was spent in the trans, gears and engine
my bikes; 80kz1000(project), 77 gl1000, 74 h2 (project)
Past; 78 kz1000, 83 kz550
Andrew

Opening up airbox? 29 Apr 2016 10:25 #723616

• Irish-Kawi
  • User
  • Thank you received: 37

Nebr_Rex wrote:

650ed wrote:

Nebr_Rex wrote: I cut my teeth on KZ650d's, KZ650b's and KZ750h's. I know what the airbox looks like on those models. You seem to not understand my post. What others have posted on this thread should shine some light on the subject. When it come to this topic you always seem to get up on your high horse and be the high and mighty/my way or the highway commentator. And why do people edit there post? I try to proofread my stuff before I put it out there.

I did not understand your post, and I still don't. If you "cut your teeth" on KZ650 and KZ750 bikes and know what their airboxes look like you should have understood that everything I stated in my posting is completely true and that I was giving good advise. Even though everything I stated was absolutely true you stated that my posting was BS and added the remark that "More of the unknowing misleading the uninformed." I truly do not understand why you would call my posting BS and attack me when all the things I stated are true.

I had stated 3 things and all 3 are absolutely true -

1. Drilling holes in the airbox would permit unfiltered air along with grit etc. to enter the carbs.
2. If he wanted to permit more air to pass through the filter he could modify the cap and its tube, but he would be wise to do that on a spare cap in case it hurt performance.
3. CV carbs are very sensitive to changes in airflow.

So no, I do not understand your posting since it is bogus. I pointed that out because anyone reading your post might be confused. It doesn't matter if you consider my pointing that out to be getting on my "high horse" or believe I have a "my way or the highway" attitude. The facts are the facts whether you want to accept them or not. If you still believe any of the statements I made to be BS PLEASE explain where I am wrong. Again, the facts are the facts, so if you have more accurate information please post it rather than simply making nasty comments. Ed

If you read the posts by undiablo, GPzMOD750, wrenchmonkey and JaFlo they point out it is all in the design of the airbox. Being the way the factory did it when the machine was originally produced or modified later on. Your claims are true to a certain extent, they are not absolute as you say they are. Maybe you didn't know all the facts I have just pointed out?

Seems to be easy to just agree to disagree and let it be ;)

Brett
All the gear all the time!

1985 Kawasaki GPz 750 (ZX750-A3) 15,000 original miles www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/601230...z750-refresh-project

Father - Husband - Bourbonr - Rider