Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Opening up airbox? 04 May 2016 19:07 #724616

• JaFlo
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5

daveo wrote: Best fart vac available...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Opening up airbox? 09 May 2016 14:59 #725395

• drmiller100
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I did some work on 2 strokes - 160 horsepower out of 800cc's at 8000 rpm.

We measured by climbing hills and dragracing in deep powder. The strongest solution was ALWAYS the same recipe:
remove snorkel/sound crap on the intake to the air box
cold air into the stock air box
no filter (yes I know that won't work on a bike)
Pods and individual filters were always noticably slower than a stock air box with cold air.

On another note, the runners between the air box and the carbs on my 1100 are insanely long. No runners of any kind, so the carbs actually stick into the air box was always the fastest on sleds. Also, the bigger the air box, the better.

Opening up airbox? 03 Nov 2016 05:06 #747066

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1624

andresmjones wrote: Hello, guys! Thank you so much for such a clear and argumentative report. As far as I know, this post also might be helpful for you. It' would be appreciated if you read that guide overall.

Spam link in his reply. Do not click. not motorcycle related. Reported to moderators.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nerdy

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Opening up airbox? 03 Nov 2016 11:00 #747118

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2626
Moved to problem threads for the Mods to deal with. He has been banned until that time. I didn't see a link.
Steve

Opening up airbox? 04 Nov 2016 17:05 #747287

• 750 R1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 394

650ed wrote:

davido wrote: ................

Agree. In fact, the easiest way to temporarily see the affect would be to just remove the airbox cap and the air filter. That would only take a minute to do and could very easily be reversed once it is discovered that more air doesn't mean more power - just more noise. Ed

Actually thats only half of the equation, an factually incorrect, you've completely ignored fuel. More air in {faster/less restriction} will also mean more fuel which equals more power, to maximize the airbox mods even further, carb mods {jetting, needles and so on} would allow the increase in airflow in the airbox to be utilized and balanced properly with fuel intake, more air and more fuel, equals more power. ..... Finding a way to direct more cool air to the airbox inlet would also be beneficial.. All airbox designs are of course "engineered", but not for maximum performance, they are a compromise for a number of reasons... ;)

If you can cram more air (and therefore fuel) into a cylinder of a given size, you can get more power from the cylinder

Turbo anyone... B)

Opening up airbox? 04 Nov 2016 17:11 #747290

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
I installed vents in my airbox. On takeoff it seemed to help. At speed the vortex effect starved the carbs of air. I went back to stock or as close to stock as can be with 33mm Miks. :woohoo:
Steve

Opening up airbox? 05 Nov 2016 16:58 #747368

• missionkz
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 184

swest wrote: I installed vents in my airbox. On takeoff it seemed to help. At speed the vortex effect starved the carbs of air. I went back to stock or as close to stock as can be with 33mm Miks. :woohoo:
Steve

I have reasonably well jetted and tweaked 26mm carbs on my KZ1000 with pods. Under 65-70mph runs fine. Move to 75-85mph .. ugh turbulence just tears up the fuel mixture unless I squeeze my knees tight to back of the tank and filters. It runs like a spark plug wire fell off if I don't close up the gaps.
Honestly, I'd never put pods on a KZ again if I had to spend so many hours tweaking again.
Just not worth it.
Power increase?
Who knows... I can't feel the difference of +2hp-3hp once past 60hp-70hp while accelerating and doubt most us can.
The chawoo howl at 5k to 9k is super cool.
Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

Last edit: by missionkz.

Opening up airbox? 05 Nov 2016 17:04 #747369

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
My air box is open under the seat. That and the V/H is enough noise for me. :woohoo:
Steve