TOPIC:

Opening up airbox? 26 Apr 2016 07:25 #723021

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2626
They're 4.5" wide?
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Opening up airbox? 26 Apr 2016 07:30 #723022

• GPzMOD750
  • User
  • Thank you received: 148

swest wrote: They're 4.5" wide?
Steve

They appear to be 1" that's probably the package dimensions.

Could you just put these in the end of the boots and take the main filter out but leave the box intact?

Opening up airbox? 26 Apr 2016 07:38 #723024

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
I doubt it would work that way. I was thinking down below on the front of the box. It works fine as it is but a little more flow couldn't hurt.
Steve

Opening up airbox? 26 Apr 2016 07:54 #723028

• JaFlo
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Yes, they are 1" diameter. In my opinion, the best location for them is on the side of the box next to the air filter. This creates a more even air path to all the carbs, much like the regular air filter provides.

I wouldn't put them directly on the boots as that would be less airflow than the stock filter. It would also mess with the air velocity. The boots have that bell mouth shape for a reason! There is quite a bit of surface area on the stock filter, it's just restricted by the small size of the inlet hole.

Opening up airbox? 26 Apr 2016 08:03 #723030

• daveo
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 636
Imagine the filter media getting sucked into the engine and blown out the tail pipe.
That would add a little fluff to your pop. :)
1982 KZ1100-A2

Opening up airbox? 26 Apr 2016 08:07 #723032

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
They look like they are 2" in diameter. I'll order some and start a thread on them If I don't like them I can always cover the holes with a sheet of aluminum. Box isn't stock anyway and of no value except to me. Might help WOT without costing anything else. :evil: :woohoo:
Steve

Opening up airbox? 26 Apr 2016 08:08 #723033

• GPzMOD750
  • User
  • Thank you received: 148

JaFlo wrote: Yes, they are 1" diameter. In my opinion, the best location for them is on the side of the box next to the air filter. This creates a more even air path to all the carbs, much like the regular air filter provides.

I wouldn't put them directly on the boots as that would be less airflow than the stock filter. It would also mess with the air velocity. The boots have that bell mouth shape for a reason! There is quite a bit of surface area on the stock filter, it's just restricted by the small size of the inlet hole.

I figured as much. Stupid question that had to be asked. The plastic grid on the front looks pretty restrictive. I see cutting that out and replacing it with metal mesh or pierced aluminium.

I just ordered a set. I saw a box at the salvage yard last time I was there. Like an idiot I forgot to grab it before I left. I'm going to dash down there after work and see if it's still there.

Last edit: by GPzMOD750.

Opening up airbox? 26 Apr 2016 08:12 #723035

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014

daveo wrote:

Nebr_Rex wrote: And why do people edit there post? I try to proofread my stuff before I put it out there.

"There" :dry:

Their. :lol:
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveo

Opening up airbox? 26 Apr 2016 08:26 #723037

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014

GPzMOD750 wrote:

JaFlo wrote: Yes, they are 1" diameter. In my opinion, the best location for them is on the side of the box next to the air filter. This creates a more even air path to all the carbs, much like the regular air filter provides.

I figured as much. Stupid question that had to be asked. The plastic grid on the front looks pretty restrictive. I see cutting that out and replacing it with metal mesh out pierced aluminium.

I just ordered a set. I saw a box at the salvage yard last time I was there. Like an idiot I forgot to grab it before I left. I'm going to dash down there after work and see if it's still there.

I don't see that as being a problem being the stock filter is there. I would put some mesh on the inside to keep the foam from being sucked into the box though. I'm going to have to try it. B)
Steve

Opening up airbox? 26 Apr 2016 08:30 #723041

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Just looked again, they are 1". I'll need all six. B)
Steve

Opening up airbox? 26 Apr 2016 09:29 #723054

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014

tri650 wrote: I have a 82 Gpz 750 with stock set-up for jetting and stock airbox. It has an aftermarket 4-1 header that flows into a Supertrapp exhaust. I know I can get more out of this motor with some jetting tweeks but don't want to go the pod route. I love the looks of the pods but worried about getting the jetting right. Wondering if drilling into the airbox will provide the needed extra air if I go bigger on jets and possibly raise the needle. Anyone done this?

I think one of our members came up with the solution to your question without drilling the intake tube. If you'll sit tight, ether he or I will try it and let you know how it works. I like the idea of the extra openings but I will have them inboard away from the outside where the passing wind can create suction defeating the purpose of using them. B)
Steve

Opening up airbox? 26 Apr 2016 18:15 #723143

• floivanus
  • User
  • Thank you received: 116
Let's set all magazine BS aside, you are talking about eeking 5-10% more performance out of a 30 year old bike that translates to what 3-5 horse! You spend $50 on that fancy k and n filter $200 on a jet kit and get a small increase? Seems like money better spent on ninja brakes or something you can actually feel not imagine
my bikes; 80kz1000(project), 77 gl1000, 74 h2 (project)
Past; 78 kz1000, 83 kz550
Andrew
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism