Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Pods - In Search of a Free Lunch 06 May 2013 09:08 #585949

• 650ed
  • 650ed's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mcdroid, Proxy, bluej58, daveo, 74ullc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pods - In Search of a Free Lunch 06 May 2013 10:44 #585964

• Jeff.Saunders
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 181
Thanks for posting. I had not seen this article before, and it is a good read.
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,
The following user(s) said Thank You: roy-b-boy-b

Pods - In Search of a Free Lunch 06 May 2013 17:38 #586018

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337
Very interesting and agrees with my somewhat limited experience. The loud and nasty performance pipe I ran on my 750 twin for a lot of years definitely increased power from about 3000 - 6000, but at the expense of lost low end torque and power. The thing abut the needle length and taper is that basically they shoot the arrow, then find it and draw the bullseye. The length and taper are cut to match whatever the slide does so it gives the right mix at all RPM. Screwing around with it almost guarantees that something will be wrong somewhere.

Interesting that cars don't seem to have this problem: I put a Weapon-R cold air intake system on my Chevy and it really does increase power across the whole range. I understand it's because the car's FI system has a feedback loop and it "re learns" the correct pulse width signals to send to the injectors. All I know is every two years I have to take the cold air intake off and put the stock one back on to get emission tested and the engine definitely feels weak.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

Pods - In Search of a Free Lunch 06 May 2013 18:57 #586029

• peter1958
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 198
Yes Thank you very much. Never ran across this article before either. Thanks for posting

Pods - In Search of a Free Lunch 06 May 2013 18:59 #586030

• LarryC
  • User
  • Thank you received: 309
I never rode any GS1100 that wouldn't out accelerate a GPz11 in roll on tests like that...what a joke :lol: While I won't argue totally against the concept of the article because I still feel mucking around with CV carburetors & pod filters without a jet kit is a total waste of time. There are significant flaws in the testing. Had they done 3 runs for each test criteria it would have better validated the results where differences in HP were minor.

Still, it does show how easily lot of time and money can be wasted....

JMO
Larry C.

Last edit: by LarryC.

Pods - In Search of a Free Lunch 22 Jun 2014 20:19 #637596

• ezrider714
  • User
  • Thank you received: 38
Interesting but nothing to weep at :P
It can be taken for what it is...ancient history, many things that we thought were the way in 1983 have since been proven otherwise :dry: And who will deal with CV carbs??? :woohoo: I fix them by throwing them in the trash, much cheaper and less stressful in the long run :angry:
Besides that I don't see that they say a stock air box makes the most power just that it would be to much work to dial in individual air filters :blink: If you're scared of a little work, then don't do ANY and that includes taking off the airbox
Maybe that's the problem, what you pod naysayers see as too much work I and others see as minor tinkering :silly:
If you don't like tinkering around with your bike then I could see not changing anything about it not just the air filtering...but if tinkering with bikes ranks only slightly below riding them as a hobby then I see no problem whatsoever..it's not like doing a complete rebuild from the ground up :blink: oh that's too hard also :whistle:
EZ
78 KZ650SR Mine since 79
4-1 Mac Jet Hot coated since mid 80's
Dyna Coils
Saddlebags (I ain't skeered of going nowhere) :)

Pods - In Search of a Free Lunch 23 Jun 2014 04:03 #637615

• roy-b-boy-b
  • User
  • Thank you received: 103
I run pods. Why ? because I like to tinker and I have been known to install three set of carbs on one bike in a day. Try that with a air box ! I keep two different sizes of intake boots and will run 34's on a 900 engine. Why not ?

Good read.
Jeff increase your jet inventory so we are sure to get the right jets. ;)
1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

Pods - In Search of a Free Lunch 23 Jun 2014 06:11 #637626

• Proxy
  • User
  • 80% Human 20% Nuts/Bolts
  • Thank you received: 46
Hey you got time for major or minor tinkering have at it. My life seems to demand more and more of my time for frivolities like family, health and wealth. My bike time seems to get shorter and shorter as years go by. So when I do get some or make some at least my idea is not spending needless time or money not in the saddle. I do not need the most power I just need enough power to get me into trouble or out of it. To put a smile on my face or a thrill down my spine. Maybe I'm easy but I have rode 120hp at the rear wheel and 64hp. Both were a blast and both were stock great running bikes that I put very little wrench time in on. Like in the 60's if wrenchin is your bag ....go for it. But if you dream of making oodles of untapped brute power (buzzer sound) thanks for playin'! If you want to spend a lot of time, $$$ and effort for a nominal increase in a narrow range the field is yours. BTW It's not a case of laziness or scared of a (little?) work, it's prioritizing ones life and weighing the gains against the cost in time, money and sanity. Of course wrenching can be very Zen and if that is your point then BLAM ...you win. ;-)
Take it from me cuz I found
If you leave it then somebody else is bound,
To find that treasure, that moment of pleasure,
When yours, it could have been.
1977 KZ650 B1 Being restored to original (Green)
1977 KZ650 B1 Original (Red) Sold
1977 KZ650 B1 Donor Bike for Parts

Pods - In Search of a Free Lunch 24 Jun 2014 06:41 #637830

• 80B4
  • User
  • Thank you received: 105
Thanks, that article is a good read. I'm glad that modern jet kits are as good as they are and I'm also glad that there are 3 dyno operators in my area that know their stuff!
1980B4 1000
1978 Z1R
1978 B3 750

• Page: