TOPIC:

Somebody PLEASE HELP!!!! :angry: 18 Apr 2015 20:06 #668612

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2629
Pic?
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Somebody PLEASE HELP!!!! :angry: 18 Apr 2015 20:07 #668613

• chconger
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
1977 KZ 1000-A

Last edit: by chconger.

Somebody PLEASE HELP!!!! :angry: 18 Apr 2015 20:15 #668614

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Hey guys, I have a question. Is it possible the cam sprockets have been changed? I don't want to give up on this guy if he is really trying.
Steve

Somebody PLEASE HELP!!!! :angry: 18 Apr 2015 21:01 #668618

• Gjason89
  • Gjason89's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Ok so here it is TDC I hope I got it right !!! BTW I sorta thought that to that the sprocket was changed but didn't want to seem stupid since to a lot of ppl on the forum I seem to say or ask some ridiculous stuff my ambition has just token over this project!!
Attachments:

Last edit: by Gjason89.

Somebody PLEASE HELP!!!! :angry: 18 Apr 2015 21:44 #668626

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
There should be slack between the two cams. Did you take off the adjuster? If not do it now.
Steve

Somebody PLEASE HELP!!!! :angry: 18 Apr 2015 21:46 #668627

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Wait a minute. There's a warning thread on this engine. Read it before going any further.
Steve

Somebody PLEASE HELP!!!! :angry: 18 Apr 2015 22:01 #668629

• Gjason89
  • User
Adjuster what do you mean?? And yes between both cams yes the chain has just a bit of slack like it isn't extremely tight to we're it doesn't move or to were it's going to break every time I remove the cams I first remove the chain tensioner that is under the carbs . So at the moment how it sits it is TDC cams look like the above pictures the markings seem correct how I've seen in pics and been told . And so I would like to think that I'm pretty much done in this section of the restoration PLEASE tell me if there's something that still needs to be done the valve gaps are in fact good now I do have the .oo2 gaps now so this is good news . The timing is correct right? I have spark last I checked all electrical seems good carbs are what id like to fix the over flows of them by using a clear tube . Give them a simple reclean and take a look at that #3 carb u mentioned about being clogged threw the picture. I am very curious too though if the sprockets moved with the PO thinking that's what u had to do for it to be in timing when all that does is make it "look" like it is by the marking when infact the cams are still incorrect so I'd like to make sure of that . Btw Steve I sincerely appreciate all the help you have been giving so far (and everyone else) I feel like I'm finally getting some were with the bike.

Somebody PLEASE HELP!!!! :angry: 19 Apr 2015 06:22 #668643

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
In the pic there is NO slack between the cams. Did you read the warning thread? If not do it. Get this right first.
Steve

Somebody PLEASE HELP!!!! :angry: 19 Apr 2015 09:00 #668670

• Gjason89
  • User
Ok so in just a minute I'm going to do this . If seems it might have been wrong then according to the warning thread you were talking about . I need to make sure that the front end of the engine side that the chain has no slack have Ofcourse the tensioner removed and make sure that I have the slack in the middle . Then I need to put the cover on FIRST before putting the tensioner because it has a guide that pushes the chain down in the middle of the cams is this correct?

Somebody PLEASE HELP!!!! :angry: 19 Apr 2015 09:30 #668675

• Gjason89
  • User
I found that there is one thing that doesn't match with picture in the warning thread . The notches in my cams exhaust seems to point outward as in the picture but the intake one points down we're the rubber I would call a gasket and it's suppose to point to the back of the bike as in the picture .?? I'm beginning to think there is something wrong with the cams the sprockets giving me false timing but thinking it on since the markings are we're there suppose to be .. I want to get this solved first before moving on to the chain tension correct at the moment I have removed the tensioner so the chain would be tight. Piston 1 is at TDC

Somebody PLEASE HELP!!!! :angry: 19 Apr 2015 09:53 #668679

• Gjason89
  • User
So I was retreading the warning thread and I might have answer a question of mine the z4/in mark is not for my bike it's for other models and for kz 550s etc it's the z\5 mark so there's why it probably never wanted to fire I was being told and following a wrong picture making me put the timing incorrect so as of now it's the z/5
Attachments:

Somebody PLEASE HELP!!!! :angry: 19 Apr 2015 11:46 #668695

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Count the number of pins back and be in between 43 and 44. That's your intake timing.
Steve