Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Somebody PLEASE HELP!!!! :angry: 17 Apr 2015 10:47 #668400

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
You may not like what jakedude had to say, but I believe he makes a valid point. Not only do you need to determine which parts you need, you need to develop a much better understanding of the mechanics of your engine and you will need some proper tools, especially an APPROPRIATE torque wrench, to avoid causing damage to your engine which will further frustrate you. Developing the understanding of the engine and how to perform maintenance tasks doesn't happen overnight, so if you're in a hurry to ride you may want to consider having a professional perform the work for now. Otherwise, rushing in before fully understanding all the details and damaging something may end up costing you more $$$ in repairs and more time without a running bike. No offense intended. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Somebody PLEASE HELP!!!! :angry: 17 Apr 2015 11:26 #668403

• davido
  • User
  • Thank you received: 286
OK My 2pence worth.
You do seem to be all over the place with this bike .You need to calm T.F. down a bit and go about it in a logical and methodical order.As Ive stated here before on this site,Im no mechanic but I do have some experiance with spannering on old bikes.
First thing is,forget about the carbs. The carbs are the last thing you do after youve got everything else sorted.Theres no point faffing around trying to set up carbs if the engine is out of tune or the ignition is not sorted.
For my money,I would say get the engine sorted first.Check your timing,your valves, clean oil,filters,all the mechanics of the actual motor.
Once thats done,move onto your Ignition,your spark plugs,timing, General well being of the electrical system as a whole (Connections,earth etc are all happy and healthy).
Once thats done,then you jump into your carbs. Clean them out,check your jet sizes,float heights,diaphrams(if you have CVs) etc.
Its a process and you can pull your hair out and get frustrated and angry (as we all do at times) or you can understand it for what it is and learn from it. It can be a rewarding experience but it aint going to happen over night.
Good luck with your build and dont give up.
P.S. Ive had a couple of beers so its very possible that Im talking bollocks!!
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550 (1978)
CB500/4 (1972)*
KZ1000CSR (1981)
XT 600E (1999)
TDM900 (2003)

Somebody PLEASE HELP!!!! :angry: 17 Apr 2015 12:12 #668410

• jakedude
  • User
  • Thank you received: 30
Okay, I’m going to go out on a limb here from personal experience with my son. Actually, I don’t know why I didn’t see this sooner. What I’m about to say my get me in trouble with the moderator but here goes.

Gjason89,
What I’m about to say is really going to put a long delay or an end to your restoration project. What you need to do is stop taking methamphetamine and go into rehab. At a minimum it will take 30 days, but I recommend at least 60 to 90 days. While you are in rehab, have someone get rid of this bike for you. Working on it after rehab will remind you too much about your current mental and physical state causing you to relapse.
Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect.

Somebody PLEASE HELP!!!! :angry: 17 Apr 2015 12:37 #668413

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2627
Where did that come from?
I've had "friends" in my past that I wouldn't and don't talk to today. They're bums. All they want is to get in your pocket, steal your girl and if they can't do that, they'll cost you as much as they can, like burn up a bike. That's what crossed my mind when I read it. We all make mistakes in our youth. Having something to work on that gives us pride is essential in growing up long after finding out what that thing between our legs is for and taking responsibility for what comes after it.
I say, don't work on anything while high or drunk. Don't deal with anyone that does. Do your homework and listen to others that know what they're doing. Above all don't get discouraged. B)
Steve

Last edit: by SWest.

Somebody PLEASE HELP!!!! :angry: 17 Apr 2015 19:23 #668464

• Gjason89
  • Gjason89's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
So check this. I removed the cam and have removed the ones that didn't seem to measure that were right against the cam and well it's like a piston shaped but has no numbers on it nor inside of it

Somebody PLEASE HELP!!!! :angry: 17 Apr 2015 20:22 #668467

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Clearly you don't have a manual or don't understand it. Under the lifter cup is a shim embedded on top of the valve spring retainer. Use a magnet tp remove it. Underneath you will find some numbers. Keep them in order. Post a pic.
Steve

Somebody PLEASE HELP!!!! :angry: 17 Apr 2015 20:34 #668471

• Gjason89
  • Gjason89's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
So I put a magnet under the cup that I removed and if should come off then I'll be able to read it my apologies for not understanding it I do have a manual from a signature and was hoping I could maybe print out

Somebody PLEASE HELP!!!! :angry: 17 Apr 2015 20:37 #668472

• jakedude
  • User
  • Thank you received: 30

Gjason89 wrote: So check this. I removed the cam and have removed the ones that didn't seem to measure that were right against the cam and well it's like a piston shaped but has no numbers on it nor inside of it

Look, I really hope I'm wrong, but I went through this with my son, and what we have here is a methamphetamine tweeker. He removed the cam? Read this topic from the start. Any of you think he is going to get the cam back in properly? I'm telling you that before he is done, that bike will be nothing but a pile of parts. That is what tweekers do. Look it up. I know, my son was one. He was in rehab for 120 days. A year out and I'm still worried about him. The only encouraging we should be doing for this one is to get him into rehab.
Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect.

Last edit: by jakedude.

Somebody PLEASE HELP!!!! :angry: 17 Apr 2015 21:38 #668481

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
I went through that with my children. My son is still a bum. My daughter has been sober since she had my oldest granddaughter. 11+ years. I know the signs. I didn't read that here.
Steve

Somebody PLEASE HELP!!!! :angry: 18 Apr 2015 00:24 #668485

• davido
  • User
  • Thank you received: 286
??????
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550 (1978)
CB500/4 (1972)*
KZ1000CSR (1981)
XT 600E (1999)
TDM900 (2003)

Somebody PLEASE HELP!!!! :angry: 18 Apr 2015 05:08 #668492

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Me too. :huh:
Steve

Somebody PLEASE HELP!!!! :angry: 18 Apr 2015 06:09 #668504

• KZB2 650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 265
Hoping your only doing one cam at a time and have the cups and shims layed out in the exact order...... like said before sometimes the number is worn off the shim so you will need to measure them with a mic and record them on a piece of paper next to the cups and shims.

Go 2 sizes on the shims maybe 3 smaller on the ones with no clearance ...... my 650 cam marking and links in between are different so you will need help on getting them back in the right order along with up close pictures. Bent valve's if you don't so this is tricky and must be correct.

Getting the cams back in without harming the cam cap threads is tricky too and must be done the way the manual says....... good luck ...... finding a shop to take it from here might be a good idea but could be a pain and costly
1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.