Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZ RIDER NORTH AMERICAN RELAY RALLY- 2014 09 Aug 2014 05:55 #643211

• kaw-a-holic
  • User
  • Thank you received: 248
Looks fantastic, hope you guys are having a great time. Ride safe.
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ RIDER NORTH AMERICAN RELAY RALLY- 2014 09 Aug 2014 11:06 #643224

• saxjonz
  • User
  • KawboyZ
  • Thank you received: 75
There was seven of us this time. next time there should be more. As in other rallies I have gone to there are people that come religiously, there are raffles and the evening activities are awesome. I envision this for this group. Any one of you guys can get one started in your area. I know we'd be in. Heck, camping here is like ten dollars a night and a few hundred in gas to come and ride for a week straight or three days. You guys really missed an awesome time. The best part was the friendships made that may last a lifetime.
79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

KZ RIDER NORTH AMERICAN RELAY RALLY- 2014 09 Aug 2014 11:09 #643225

• saxjonz
  • User
  • KawboyZ
Motorhead and Dave riding off to other destinations. Two dots on the other side of the lake next to the car. You guys are the real deal. Glad to have ridden with you both.
79 LTD B3
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Motor Head

KZ RIDER NORTH AMERICAN RELAY RALLY- 2014 09 Aug 2014 11:11 #643226

• saxjonz
  • User
  • KawboyZ
A few more pics...
79 LTD B3
Attachments:

KZ RIDER NORTH AMERICAN RELAY RALLY- 2014 09 Aug 2014 11:13 #643228

• saxjonz
  • User
  • KawboyZ

slayer61 wrote: The scenery is beautiful up there! You lucky bastards ;)

Well...you know...there is next year. By then I'll have both of my Z bikes ready to ride. I should hope that some of you fence sitters and last minute drop outs would make it. Totally worth the effort if you ask me.
Videos will be posted much later as signal here is just terrible.
79 LTD B3

KZ RIDER NORTH AMERICAN RELAY RALLY- 2014 10 Aug 2014 15:23 #643358

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
  • Thank you received: 391
Man that was one hell of a ride!!!!!!!!!!
Made it back to Bend OR about an hour ago, 2pm pacific time. We did a bit over 3400 miles, less than I was expecting but still a lot.
We did 230 miles with Lawrence and his ZRX the day after arriving. goo.gl/maps/C2cVb

Then the next day we did about 430, riding over to Cortez to meet Paul (Baldy) with the Flag. Then we all took the Flag to 4 corners to touch it into AZ. Then quite a ride back that afternoon to South Fork and the Lodge. We went down into NM and through Farmington up and over a different pass trying not to repeat to much ground. That turned into a bit of a speed fest, running along at a brisk pace. My buddy Dave and his CBX out front, the guy can ride fast and make it look like he's doing 40. goo.gl/maps/ze8PN

Once back Forrest and I got some pizzas and beer just as the town was closing for the night, very lucky to get anything at all. The pizza restaurant was closing at 8pm, we got there about 8:30, and talked them into making 4 large ones. They had some great local beer on tap too. Liquor store was closing at 9 and was on the other end of town, so we got some beer while the pizza cooked.
Then our last day there, we rode with the guy's back up to Blue Mesa just outside of Gunnison, where we parted ways. We went up the famous Black Canyon ride, man was that a twisty SOB!!! Then over and up to Carbondale, across I70, up through Rifle, Rangely, Dinosaur, into Vernal UT.
I'll try to make a couple of google maps of our rides while the stuff is fresh in my head.
Believe it or not, the best riding was out here in East OR, twisty roads, No traffic, or LEO's. The ride today from near the IDD and OR border home was a really good one, Monkey Butt and all. Biggest drama we had was the lack of premium fuel, my bike hates low octane crap at these lower altitudes. It was fine on mid-grade in CO, and the higher elevations in the other states.
Hope everyone else had fun and a safe trip home, whether on Bike or in there Cage. B) :laugh:
1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
Attachments:

Last edit: by Motor Head.

KZ RIDER NORTH AMERICAN RELAY RALLY- 2014 10 Aug 2014 20:47 #643420

• kaw-a-holic
  • User
  • Thank you received: 248

saxjonz wrote:

slayer61 wrote: The scenery is beautiful up there! You lucky bastards ;)

Well...you know...there is next year. By then I'll have both of my Z bikes ready to ride. I should hope that some of you fence sitters and last minute drop outs would make it. Totally worth the effort if you ask me.
Videos will be posted much later as signal here is just terrible.

It would be fantastic if you guys wanted to make another go of it next year as I would be able to make it then. I was going to take Forrest up on his offer on the bike but it makes me uneasy riding another man's bike. It was also my anniversary so I would have been in hot water there also. Glad you guys had a good time.
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

KZ RIDER NORTH AMERICAN RELAY RALLY- 2014 11 Aug 2014 02:53 #643432

• Forrest
  • Forrest's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
  • Thank you received: 178
OK, BlueJ58 and I are both home. We shared the ride in my truck & trailer. Departed South Fork at 7:00 a.m. Mountain Time. Arrived at my home after dropping off Jack at 4:00 a.m. Central. 20 straight hours and 1,250 miles later. Jack is beat and will post later. I will hit the rack and also post my pics later. Good to see Motorhead and Dave arrived back in Bend safe & sound. Lawrence, let us know when you get home or if you decide to stay out in Colorado! :laugh: AND, we should hear from Baldy soon. Eddie is heading to Texas to pick up more project bikes, Z1 or KZ 900s I believe.

What a great time had by us all! The pictures really don't do it justice. You have to experience the roads and fellowship in person to fully appreciate. Thanks to all who attended. Also, thanks to all of you who wished to be there in person. We felt you in spirit. Remember, this Rally was intended to celebrate the KZ Rider Flag Relay. And, quite possibly more importantly, we simply enjoyed true fellowship. The KZ bikes were the common thread but the people made this a truly special event and experience. Thank YOU ALL!
KZ RIDER RELAY FLAG CARRIER #55
1977 KZ650B Ready & Fit to Roll Anywhere!
1974 F7 175 -first bike and still own, full resto soon!
2002 ZRX1200R -Red the faster color
2011 Concours 14 -Now a Snarling Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!

Last edit: by Forrest.

KZ RIDER NORTH AMERICAN RELAY RALLY- 2014 11 Aug 2014 07:28 #643459

• youngvintage
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Will there be a rally next year? I want to attend but just found the site. Had my KZ for about 4 years now and Im just now comfortable taking her more than a few miles. Please run the rally next year!6475

KZ RIDER NORTH AMERICAN RELAY RALLY- 2014 11 Aug 2014 09:08 #643478

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck

youngvintage wrote: Will there be a rally next year? I want to attend but just found the site. Had my KZ for about 4 years now and Im just now comfortable taking her more than a few miles. Please run the rally next year!6475

Hey Young, thanks for checking in and your interest in riding & rallies. If not accustomed to riding with others, I suggest finding a local group you are comfortable with. Get some local rides in. Riding in the Rockies where we rallied typically consisted of 200 to 450 mile days. I suggest working your way up on mileage and making sure your bike is set up for running twisties and all day comfort. No concrete plans for the next rally yet. I also suggest keeping active & up to date on this forum for the next rally. AND, don't be shy about organizing your own local ride with other enthusiasts. BTW, where are you located?

Here is a pic of me departing from my town, Sugar Grove, IL for the KZ Rider Relay Flag Rally. Bike and truck clean for a little while! :laugh: It took me 1,200 miles to reach South Fork, CO. Riding and packing all your gear on the bike is one option. Taking the lazy way and trucking/trailering like me is another way to get to a rally. ;)

Plus if transporting your bike to a rally you can take pictures along the way like these..... Thank you Jack for snapping these.

Attachments:

Last edit: by Forrest.

KZ RIDER NORTH AMERICAN RELAY RALLY- 2014 11 Aug 2014 10:12 #643487

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
Wednesday August 6th was our first full day together and we began by heading over on U.S. 160 from South Fork over Wolf Creek Pass through Pagosa Springs, Durango, and Cortez. Baldy met us in Cortez for lunch. From there we proceeded to the Four Corners Monument. We needed to capture Arizona so why not do this at Four Corners! Hope you all enjoy the views. We sure had a blast celebrating The Relay Flag and riding some amazing roads. The following days to be continued soon.

Wolf Creek Pass

Baldy110 arriving in Cortez with The KZ Rider Relay Flag!

Dave, The CBX Rider, Daryl aka Motorhead, and EddieM

Lawrence aka Saxjonz

Lunch at Blondie's Trophy Room in Cortez

Ready to Roll to Four Corners! Left to Right: Motorhead, Dave, Forrest(me), EddieM, Bluej58, Saxjonz, & Baldy110

Four Corners Arrival. Parked on the Arizona side and knocked-off that state !

The Four Corners Monument and The Relay Flag! But wait, Where is Jack?

Here we are all together for the ceremonial Four Corners Flag Relay. Yes! Four States at once! :woohoo: B)

KZ RIDER NORTH AMERICAN RELAY RALLY- 2014 11 Aug 2014 13:51 #643511

• baldy110
  • User
  • Thank you received: 510
Got home yesterday 08/10/14 around 4;00 PM. Had a blast at the rally guys, thanks for setting this up Forrest. Here are some pics of my trip. And for the rest of you who woosed out, go the next one it is fun other than Forrest lying to you about how many miles the leg is going to be. Just kidding Forrest.

The Little Aleinn Inn and Bar at Rachel Nevada. The owner is very friendly and the food there is home cooked and excellent. Anytime you go through there stop and eat you will not regret it.

The infamous black mail box at the road entrance to area 51.

Utah was beautiful

And a pic of my rear tire when I got home, total miles for me was 2,325. I didn't notice the rear tire until I gassed up 15 miles from my home. I was probably riding on the cords for about 500 miles, scary thought. Next time I'll put on a brand new tire before I leave.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZJOE900

Last edit: by baldy110.