TOPIC:

KZ RIDER NORTH AMERICAN RELAY RALLY- 2014 21 Jul 2014 18:21 #640879

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
  • Thank you received: 391

loudhvx wrote:

Forrest wrote:

loudhvx wrote: It doesn't look good for me making it. I will be in the middle of a bunch of construction projects on the new house. Then have to get the old house ready to sell or rent out. :(

Sometimes life gets in the way of living life. :pinch:

BTW, does this mean your whole West Coast, Northwest Trip is cancelled?

Let's ride locally soon. When you can get a break give me a call and Sax might come out as well. Got some fun roads out my way, away from the city.

The trip is scaled down. For time and money, she will be flying to the west and northwest instead of driving a van, so driving a couple bikes to Co will be a lot less cost effective.

We had been looking for a house for awhile, and had almost given up looking when the exact right one showed up, so it's not really all bad news. It's just tough on time, and we can't sustain two payments indefinitely, so time is money.

However, I have not hardly ridden at all this year, so if I get fed up enough, who knows, I may end up saying F it and just start driving.

By the way, has anyone considered rejetting for two miles up? I fattened my jetting for cold Chicago weather. It would likely not play well at 10k feet.

Sorry to hear you can't go, Tom. Hope you feel better soon. Look forward to seeing you again.

Good to hear you and you lady found a house. Thats a big step and can be quite an undertaking getting all the paperwork complete for closing. I just went through it last Oct, moved in on Halloween.
Jetting could well be an issue if you have already enriched the mix from factory. Otherwise the factory jetting would be ok up high, just not optimum. I ran my bikes with stock jets up to 11K in CO before when i lived over there. I'm taking along a couple step leaner mains just in case for my RS34's though.
1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ RIDER NORTH AMERICAN RELAY RALLY- 2014 21 Jul 2014 19:00 #640881

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Yeah, I figured stock jetting would probably get by, but I'm definitely richer than stock.

KZ RIDER NORTH AMERICAN RELAY RALLY- 2014 22 Jul 2014 05:47 #640912

• Forrest
  • Forrest's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
  • Thank you received: 178

loudhvx wrote: Yeah, I figured stock jetting would probably get by, but I'm definitely richer than stock.

Lawrence and I found out during our Flag Relay leg up over the Continental Divide that low octane gas works best. They actually sell 85 and 87 octane at fuel stops in the higher elevation areas. The lower octane fuel simply works better. My KZ 650 with stock jetting ran great all the way up to 10,000+. I did put some premium in and it ran with a significant power drop. The flash point of lower octane gas simply works better in lower oxygen, thinner atmosphere. Hope to see you out there. Get in touch with Lawrence or me if you think you would like to make The Rally. We will get you out there.
KZ RIDER RELAY FLAG CARRIER #55
1977 KZ650B Ready & Fit to Roll Anywhere!
1974 F7 175 -first bike and still own, full resto soon!
2002 ZRX1200R -Red the faster color
2011 Concours 14 -Now a Snarling Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!

Last edit: by Forrest.

KZ RIDER NORTH AMERICAN RELAY RALLY- 2014 29 Jul 2014 10:00 #641871

• saxjonz
  • User
  • KawboyZ
  • Thank you received: 75
For some reason I was locked out of kzr for awhile. I just read all of these posts. I am recently unemployed and living off of what little I saved up. When I found out in June I was really upset but said F it, you only live once so I took a trip to Cali and I will come to South Fork but unfortunately I will not be riding the z or the z1r as I still need to buy parts for both. I was hoping to get these brakes bled and running good but there are little niggles here and there and I am going to have to order parts that I hadn't anticipated ordering so I will be taking ol blue. She isn't a traditional kz but at the moment she's all I got so she is going to make that trip. Hopefully, I will be able to get those parts for both bikes and get them going but by the time they get here and installed, which obviously I need money for, is gonna be impossible. CPS sucks.
79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

KZ RIDER NORTH AMERICAN RELAY RALLY- 2014 29 Jul 2014 18:02 #641921

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
  • Thank you received: 391

saxjonz wrote: For some reason I was locked out of kzr for awhile. I just read all of these posts. I am recently unemployed and living off of what little I saved up. When I found out in June I was really upset but said F it, you only live once so I took a trip to Cali and I will come to South Fork but unfortunately I will not be riding the z or the z1r as I still need to buy parts for both. I was hoping to get these brakes bled and running good but there are little niggles here and there and I am going to have to order parts that I hadn't anticipated ordering so I will be taking ol blue. She isn't a traditional kz but at the moment she's all I got so she is going to make that trip. Hopefully, I will be able to get those parts for both bikes and get them going but by the time they get here and installed, which obviously I need money for, is gonna be impossible. CPS sucks.

Great if you can somehow make it to the Rally! Don't worry camping is cheap, and I'll buy you a couple of cold ones! :P
1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
The following user(s) said Thank You: saxjonz

KZ RIDER NORTH AMERICAN RELAY RALLY- 2014 29 Jul 2014 22:03 #641951

• eddiem
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #63
  • Thank you received: 34
Sax I'm taking 2 bikes the 1000 and the 1100 your welcome to ride one
1976 Kz900
1978 Kz1000
1978 Z1r
1982 Kz1100 A2
1975 Z1b-900
1975 Z1b-900
The following user(s) said Thank You: saxjonz

KZ RIDER NORTH AMERICAN RELAY RALLY- 2014 30 Jul 2014 07:41 #641988

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
Talked to Lawrence yesterday. He is bringing his family. He has a running bike. I know he appreciates the offers. I too am bringing two bikes. I offered to another KZ Rider one of them to ride if his bike was not ready. However, he has decided not to make the trip.

I too am buying a round or two around the campfire. Really looking forward to the Rally!

KZ RIDER NORTH AMERICAN RELAY RALLY- 2014 01 Aug 2014 10:06 #642315

• saxjonz
  • User
  • KawboyZ
I appreciate the offer eddiem and I will take you up on it if you'd like to ride my retro. This rally was an important event for me so I made sure I saved the money up in advance. I want to meet you guys finally after all of these years being on the board. I think we are all gonna have a great time. I'm just really bummed that my kz is sooooooo close to finished and yet sooooo far away. My z1r, I may be able to get her going. I'm thinking I will bring it and perhaps I can ride it at least a little bit.
I am not sure of her road worthiness. After all it needs a few things as well like the headlight connection a wire broke off right at the connection and I am going to bleed the front brakes and install my LTD calipers from the other bike that are in OK shape I guess. Then there is the not been ridden in so long status that I may need to rip off the carbs and clean them. All of this would have been done already had I not cracked three ribs going down. I lost all that time I could have finished the bike with. Forrest is having a few issues of his own at this moment that are nagging him. lol at the curveballs life throws at us.
79 LTD B3

Last edit: by saxjonz. Reason: added

KZ RIDER NORTH AMERICAN RELAY RALLY- 2014 02 Aug 2014 10:02 #642471

• upncummr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
Forrest, Lawrence and everyone else:

Have a great time at the rally.

Wish I could be there but work commitments preclude that.

Gary

KZ RIDER NORTH AMERICAN RELAY RALLY- 2014 02 Aug 2014 12:42 #642478

• eddiem
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #63
  • Thank you received: 34
I'll be leaving Reno Nevada Sunday Morning and should be there on the 5th
1976 Kz900
1978 Kz1000
1978 Z1r
1982 Kz1100 A2
1975 Z1b-900
1975 Z1b-900

KZ RIDER NORTH AMERICAN RELAY RALLY- 2014 02 Aug 2014 16:05 #642492

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
I am no later than Monday 8-04 and should arrive no later than Tuesday 9-5 also. See you all very soon! :woohoo:

AND, Upncummr I am saddened to know that you and that beautiful KZ750LTD will not be gracing us with your presence. I hope you have or will find more comfortable bars for that otherwise great ride. Don't worry, work will let up and you will get a break. When that happens let me know. I am just a hop/skip away from your door. AND, I know Goodfastncheap's garage code! :evil:

Last edit: by Forrest.

KZ RIDER NORTH AMERICAN RELAY RALLY- 2014 03 Aug 2014 08:49 #642578

• saxjonz
  • User
  • KawboyZ
Well, alrighty then. Going to get things going on over here as well. going to finish bleeding these brakes, get that connector for my headlight and use this crazy fusebox that I have. I really need to make a custom fuse box like yesterday. Hopefully I can get the bike running well enough to ride around a bit up there. I'll have my classic looking retro as well as a back up. See you guys all some time tomorrow.

Quick edit. Leaving the z1r as much as I want to bring it I just need to get too many things going and I haven't had any seat time on this bike to feel comfortable with a short ride let alone a long day in the saddle.
79 LTD B3

Last edit: by saxjonz. Reason: update