Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZ RIDER NORTH AMERICAN RELAY RALLY- 2014 26 Aug 2013 00:01 #603079

• Forrest
  • Forrest's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
  • Thank you received: 178
ATTENTION: You are all cordially invited to A KZ RIDER RALLY!

This rally will serve two main purposes:

1) Celebrate the the KZ Rider North American Flag Relay.

2) Simply bring together fellow moto enthusiasts with a focus on Vintage KZ Kawasakis.

This Rally will be a great way for anyone who has carried The Relay Flag or wished they had participated to gather and celebrate the Relay. This Rally is NOT just for KZ Riders who carried the Flag. This is an open invitation for all KZ Riders, their family & friends to come together and simply celebrate our common interest.

Here are a few details:

When?................... August 5th - 10th 2014...Come for one or all 5 days, YOU Choose!
Where?.................. Ute Bluff Lodge, South Fork, Colorado
Why?.................... Close proximity to The 4 Corners* and some of the best Roads to ride motorcycles in the world.
Website ............... www.uteblufflodge.com/Default.aspx

* There has been some discussion as to where the KZ Rider Relay Flag would end upon completion. The general consensus is The Relay Flag will travel down the West Coast later this year or in 2014 ending at The 4 Corners of Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, & Colorado. This will make for a grand finale for a great Relay! B)

The Rally Point is not conveniently located near anyone in particular. It is more about bringing a group of KZ Riders close to the symbolic if not actual completion of The Relay Ride.

I have spoken to the owners of the Ute Bluff Lodge. The following are some advantages of staying at their lodge, cabin, and RV grounds:

- They are motorcycle friendly.
- They are offering us a group discount regardless of a lodge room, cabin or RV site. Be sure to mention that you are part of the KZ Rider Relay Rally to receive your 10% discount!

- AND best of all they are on the doorstep of some of the greatest motorcycling roads anywhere.

This Owners Group & Forum in North America has been reinvigorated by this Relay. AND, now we can celebrate by coming together.

Please feel free to post up your interest in attending. Also, click on the Ute Bluff Lodge website link. There you can find the contact information to reserve your space. Craig & Annette will be happy to hold a room, cabin, or space for you! Here is their contact information:

Craig & Annette Williams
Ute Bluff Lodge, Cabins, & RV Park
27680 US Highway 160
South Fork, CO 81154
email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
1-800-473-0595

I will either post all attendees here or create a separate thread if need be.

So, COME ONE! COME ALL!

ATTENDEES:

Forrest
Upncummr
Tom W.
Goodfastncheap- "There!"
SaxJonz
Baldy
Kaw-a-holic
Jeffasaki - on a facecloth...
Peter1958
Motorhead - PNW Represented! plus Friend
EddieM
KZ RIDER RELAY FLAG CARRIER #55
1977 KZ650B Ready & Fit to Roll Anywhere!
1974 F7 175 -first bike and still own, full resto soon!
2002 ZRX1200R -Red the faster color
2011 Concours 14 -Now a Snarling Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Forrest. Reason: Attendee Update

KZ RIDER NORTH AMERICAN RELAY RALLY- 2014 26 Aug 2013 10:50 #603122

• Topper
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 133
This looks amazing. It's a 1700 mile ride for me (each way). I wonder if my bike would make the trip??!!

I guess I've got a year to get it into shape!
Permanent and perpetual noob.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

KZ RIDER NORTH AMERICAN RELAY RALLY- 2014 26 Aug 2013 12:52 #603137

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck

Topper wrote: This looks amazing. It's a 1700 mile ride for me (each way). I wonder if my bike would make the trip??!!

I guess I've got a year to get it into shape!

AND, A year to get ourselves in shape! :laugh: We will have all day rides planned and shorter 1/2 day(Cooler Runs). It will be amazing Trey. I found out on my part of the North American Flag Relay my 77 KZ650 ran better each successive day it was ridden. I say if you are riding the entire distance to The Rally, I would be sure my saddle, tires, and shocks & forks are in good shape. The best upgrade I made to my bike was modern suspension; Works Performance Steel Tracker Shocks and Race Tech Springs in the forks. AND, here is a tip for anyone not looking forward to riding long distances. Transporting via truck or trailer could be a a very effective option. If you do not own a truck/trailer find some other KZ Rider or friend near you or on the way to The Rally that with a trailer or truck. Transporting to The Rally point can be as effective as two riders cruising on each bike. Combined fuel consumption for two bikes can be equivalent to a single vehicle transporting two bikes. Plus you don't have to be as concerned about getting everything to fit and packed on the bike. I know, I did this out and back to Omaha where I picked up The Relay Flag. Really look forward to you meeting you and so many others from this forum. B)

Oh! I think you might be getting more T-Shirt orders soon! Maybe a Rally Shirt? ;)

Last edit: by Forrest.

KZ RIDER NORTH AMERICAN RELAY RALLY- 2014 26 Aug 2013 13:29 #603139

• upncummr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
Forrest:

I'm going to put this on the calendar now and do my best to keep those dates clear.

It sounds like a great get-together.

I especially like that you planned it over a six-day period as opposed to just a weekend. That'll give people some flexibility on the dates they attend and six days of riding is incentive enough to make a long trip.

Good job!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Forrest

KZ RIDER NORTH AMERICAN RELAY RALLY- 2014 26 Aug 2013 15:10 #603161

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
  • Thank you received: 52
Geez, Forrest you could have picked a spot closer to Las Vegas, NM. It'll be a 211 mile ride for me from my mom's house! :laugh: :laugh:

I guess I could make a little detour on my way out west this October. If the weather cooperates I'll spend a night there and check it out, take some pictures and make nice with the owners. It looks like a fantastic site for the rally. If there's anything else I can do to help put this together, you got my number.

I've ridden a lot of the roads in northern NM south of there and the roads are terrific for cycling. I can imagine the roads in CO are also. This going to be great.

YOODAMAN!!
'78 KZ1000B2 LTD stock + Vetter Fairing & luggage
'91 ZG1200B5 Voyager XII, stock
The following user(s) said Thank You: Forrest

KZ RIDER NORTH AMERICAN RELAY RALLY- 2014 26 Aug 2013 15:11 #603162

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck

upncummr wrote: Forrest:

I'm going to put this on the calendar now and do my best to keep those dates clear.

It sounds like a great get-together.

I especially like that you planned it over a six-day period as opposed to just a weekend. That'll give people some flexibility on the dates they attend and six days of riding is incentive enough to make a long trip.

Good job!

Thank you Sir! I have attended several rallies for another Kawasaki model. The one thing I have learned about realizing a successful motorcycle road trip or event is to set a date, stick to it, and DO NOT allow other things in life to derail that plan. Peter Egan, Cycle World Contributing Editor wrote on this 2-3 years ago. I always think of his words of wisdom; "Pick a date or time frame and protect it". Life can get in the way of enjoy/living life to it's fullest. That is why I have set this date out nearly a year. Some on this Forum will have other commitments. I respect that. Most of us if we choose, can set the date AND protect it. This is what I am doing today at my office today and already have at home. I have set this time aside and will protect it. No work or other family/social activity will trump The KZ Rider Rally Week for me. I make this commitment only for myself. Another wise sage once told me, "Life is about choices. AND, about making good choices." I consider this Rally a very good choice for me. It will satisfy one of the basic core values of mine, enjoying life/having fun! :cheer:

When it comes to the Rally itself and the planning/details, We should keep things/events as flexible as possible. There are many other activities and attractions in this part of Colorado for family members you may bring and who are not going on rides. Heck, I may even take part of a day off from riding just to go swim or relax. Daily group rides and evening get togethers can be made prior to and once we are there. I do think that Friday(8-8-14) and Saturday(8-9-14 evenings/nights would be really good for some semi structured casual gatherings. Most Rally attendees would be there for the weekend. I like the idea of a planned dinner and maybe a raffle or auction to benefit the KZ Rider Forum. We definitely should get a group photo and do something special for the KZ Riders who have carried The Relay Flag and attend The Rally. Top priority is simply to get together and have a great experience. B)

KZ RIDER NORTH AMERICAN RELAY RALLY- 2014 26 Aug 2013 15:17 #603163

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck

TomW wrote: Geez, Forrest you could have picked a spot closer to Las Vegas, NM. It'll be a 211 mile ride for me from my mom's house! :laugh: :laugh:

I guess I could make a little detour on my way out west this October. If the weather cooperates I'll spend a night there and check it out, take some pictures and make nice with the owners. It looks like a fantastic site for the rally. If there's anything else I can do to help put this together, you got my number.

I've ridden a lot of the roads in northern NM south of there and the roads are terrific for cycling. I can imagine the roads in CO are also. This going to be great.

YOODAMAN!!

Tom, YOODAMAN for stepping up and offering to go make nicey nice with the owners! B) There was an International ZRX Rally there 4 years ago. I did not attend and still kick myself over that! :pinch: The current owners bought the property and business two years ago. So, they don't know about crazy Kawasaki hooligans....yet! :silly: :evil:

All kidding aside, it would be great to get a ride report from you on the Rally Point and the roads beyond!

Last edit: by Forrest.

KZ RIDER NORTH AMERICAN RELAY RALLY- 2014 26 Aug 2013 17:16 #603181

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
  • Thank you received: 52

Forrest wrote:
Tom, YOODAMAN for stepping up and offering to go make nicey nice with the owners! B) There was an International ZRX Rally there 4 years ago. I did not attend and still kick myself over that! :pinch: The current owners bought the property and business two years ago. So, they don't know about crazy Kawasaki hooligans....yet! :silly: :evil:

All kidding aside, it would be great to get a ride report from you on the Rally Point and the roads beyond!

I could go down to Milwaukee and make some video of the Harley Hooligans at the 110th anniversary bash. Just tell the owners, "That's us on tranquilizers." :woohoo: :evil: :evil: :woohoo:

I don't know how much riding I can do up in the mountains in Oct. My old bones don't do well below about 40 degrees. I'll do what I can. Have you ever been there or did you just pick it from the web and/or recommendations?

I'm getting all anxious now. My trip is only about 5-6 weeks away. :woohoo:
'78 KZ1000B2 LTD stock + Vetter Fairing & luggage
'91 ZG1200B5 Voyager XII, stock

KZ RIDER NORTH AMERICAN RELAY RALLY- 2014 26 Aug 2013 19:27 #603204

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
No Tom, I have not been to this location before. You may have noticed in my posting you quoted that I mentioned not attending the ZRX Rally there in 2009. I heard directly from many that attended it was a good location. You will be an excellent Recon Man for us! B)

KZ RIDER NORTH AMERICAN RELAY RALLY- 2014 01 Sep 2013 01:39 #604248

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
Just a bump :) :side: :silly: :whistle:

Remember, all are invited whether arriving on a KZ, other vintage motorcycles, heck even modern bikes, cage or via hitch hiking! We are going to have a blast. The proprietors are willing to hold rooms, cabins and RV spots. So, get your spot reserved sooner than later.

upncummr has some great rally ideas. All are welcome to contribute. All I got to say is that my main focus will be riding places & eating things! AND, of course sharing the good times with all of you! :woohoo:

KZ RIDER NORTH AMERICAN RELAY RALLY- 2014 25 Sep 2013 15:50 #607734

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
My how time flies! I know we are still about 10 months out on this Rally, but how about a discussion if not some love. :kiss:

Discussion Topics:

-Lodging; getting rooms, cabins, & RV spots reserved, etc.

-Rides Planned & Routes

-Other Non Bike Related Outings; Rafting, kayaking, hiking, tourist stuff, sunbathing :blush: , etc.

-Evening Activities; cookouts, parts/farkle exchanges, raffles, quality time off the bikes getting to know one another, etc.

Think of something else then post up! :)

KZ RIDER NORTH AMERICAN RELAY RALLY- 2014 25 Sep 2013 15:54 #607735

• Topper
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 133
Add to the topic list, motorcycle rentals. If I'm able to make it, I'm going to have to fly out and I'd love to rent a bike to ride while I'm there. Preferably something I don't have to wear fringed leather to ride. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Just not my style. ;)
Permanent and perpetual noob.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys