Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

HollywoodMX's Drouin Supercharged 77 KZ1000!! 06 Nov 2012 15:56 #557272

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1470
Don't know how much weight i saved as i just started with a frame and built it but the bike is a whole lot lighter than my other Zeds and about twice as fast :lol:
As for the harness i mounted the components and built the harness as simple as possible which means no relays and only one main fuse for the battery/ignition.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

HollywoodMX's Drouin Supercharged 77 KZ1000!! 06 Nov 2012 16:25 #557277

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
if i was going with the bimota tank and tail,
i would probably keep some period wheels and get the brakes upgraded,build my own swingarm to match the style of the one in your pic but in stock or close length.
i would then get some fork emulators and new springs for the front forks,some of those ikon shocks like tri bought,avon road rider tires and go with a bimota paint scheme in green and white.
except i would want a candy lime green and would use close to this paint scheme.

i would keep the frame black.

or i would slam a zx6/636/10 frontend on it with the six spoke wheels,like these

then custom build my own underbraced round tube swingarm to accept the zx wheels and use all the zx brakes and keep the ikon shocks.

i myself would prolly go the later route.

here is what i mean by my own underbraced swingarm,

thats my .02 ymmv.
leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0
Attachments:

Last edit: by 531blackbanshee.

HollywoodMX's Drouin Supercharged 77 KZ1000!! 06 Nov 2012 18:25 #557292

• Powerstroke_fan
  • User
  • Thank you received: 83
Nice bike, Love the charger. If you decide to buy one make sure you get ahold of les. He does great work, at good prices.
1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now

HollywoodMX's Drouin Supercharged 77 KZ1000!! 06 Nov 2012 19:36 #557296

• Ederer
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Nice bike!

HollywoodMX's Drouin Supercharged 77 KZ1000!! 06 Nov 2012 19:44 #557297

• les holt
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 288
That thing is freaking cool! That's some pretty slick work on that heads fin work.

I'm finishing up a round tube arm for a guy now, I should be able to post pics maybe by monday of a finished one. 2" over with twin shock set up for ZX6 wheel. I love the 6 spoke zx wheels but they are a bitch to keep clean, went with the 3 spokes and it's much easier, maybe cause they are chrome but don't care!
It looks like my rearsets will fit perfectly for you.
As for late model front ends or usd's, Theres a few options for a somewhat plug and play, Some can be done with just a bearing swap, some require just a stem swap and some just need new trees all together to best serve our needs. There is some trade offs with the newer conversions, mostly with being shorter and loosing ground clearance and second you tend to loose some effective rake on the chassis when the front goes down and the rear doesn't but, you do gain some trail because most have a lot less offset in the trees. I've got 2 chassis going on the jig here in about 3-4 weeks, I do some playing around with different combos to see just what kind of numbers one truly ends up with. The gains are both the added rigidity plus the brake upgrade! Those 2 things are big by themselves let alone the wow factor when it's pulled off right!

Les

HollywoodMX's Drouin Supercharged 77 KZ1000!! 06 Nov 2012 21:36 #557314

• Hollywoodmx
  • Hollywoodmx's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16

imon_2nd wrote: Cool bike, Hollywood!

Isn't the oil cooler a tad small considering the power output, blower, etc?

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks!

I don't know, is it? I could look for a bigger one if people think it is a risk.

zed1015 wrote: Don't know how much weight i saved as i just started with a frame and built it but the bike is a whole lot lighter than my other Zeds and about twice as fast :lol:
As for the harness i mounted the components and built the harness as simple as possible which means no relays and only one main fuse for the battery/ignition.

Sweet. How did you know how to delete the relays? When I did this one the TR-1 I used the wiring diagram with a forum post of instructions, more or less.
- 82 GPz1100injection
- 77 Kz1075 Supercharged
- 81 Yamaha TR-1
- 81 Yamaha xv920
Calgary

Last edit: by Hollywoodmx.

HollywoodMX's Drouin Supercharged 77 KZ1000!! 06 Nov 2012 21:51 #557315

• Hollywoodmx
  • User

531blackbanshee wrote: if i was going with the bimota tank and tail,
i would probably keep some period wheels and get the brakes upgraded,build my own swingarm to match the style of the one in your pic but in stock or close length.
i would then get some fork emulators and new springs for the front forks,some of those ikon shocks like tri bought,avon road rider tires and go with a bimota paint scheme in green and white.
except i would want a candy lime green and would use close to this paint scheme.

i would keep the frame black.

or i would slam a zx6/636/10 frontend on it with the six spoke wheels,like these

then custom build my own underbraced round tube swingarm to accept the zx wheels and use all the zx brakes and keep the ikon shocks.

i myself would prolly go the later route.

here is what i mean by my own underbraced swingarm,

thats my .02 ymmv.
leon

Thanks for the advise. I was actually bidding on the OZ wheels that match the gold rims in my earlier bimota post but I stopped at 700.00 and it kept going. I couldn't justify 1k for those wheels considering I still need to update the brakes. I talked to the seller and he said the Japanese were all over them and they would have gone past 800.

I appreciate your ideas. I think I like the twin shock swingarm, zx6 front and zx6 spoke option you described. Plus I think I can swap my KZ forks, front and rear wheels onto my TR-1 which I wanted wire wheels for so it can be win win.

les holt wrote: That thing is freaking cool! That's some pretty slick work on that heads fin work.

I'm finishing up a round tube arm for a guy now, I should be able to post pics maybe by monday of a finished one. 2" over with twin shock set up for ZX6 wheel. I love the 6 spoke zx wheels but they are a bitch to keep clean, went with the 3 spokes and it's much easier, maybe cause they are chrome but don't care!
It looks like my rearsets will fit perfectly for you.
As for late model front ends or usd's, Theres a few options for a somewhat plug and play, Some can be done with just a bearing swap, some require just a stem swap and some just need new trees all together to best serve our needs. There is some trade offs with the newer conversions, mostly with being shorter and loosing ground clearance and second you tend to loose some effective rake on the chassis when the front goes down and the rear doesn't but, you do gain some trail because most have a lot less offset in the trees. I've got 2 chassis going on the jig here in about 3-4 weeks, I do some playing around with different combos to see just what kind of numbers one truly ends up with. The gains are both the added rigidity plus the brake upgrade! Those 2 things are big by themselves let alone the wow factor when it's pulled off right!

Les

Thanks! Ya I will go with your rear sets and I am interested in the easy swap swing arm.

Is there a difference between the zx10 or zx6 6 spoke wheels? Are the differences in the zx6 or zx10 fork swap? What years bikes are we talking?

Thanks for the help so far everyone!
- 82 GPz1100injection
- 77 Kz1075 Supercharged
- 81 Yamaha TR-1
- 81 Yamaha xv920
Calgary

HollywoodMX's Drouin Supercharged 77 KZ1000!! 06 Nov 2012 23:16 #557320

• les holt
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 288
Not sure on the wheels of the 10 and 6 being different but I would bet that the 10's are wider. The 14's are heavy compared to the others by quite a bit. On the forks, Suzuki's are pretty consistent on fork size and length but Kaw's are all over the place. I like the newer stuff myself but they don't lend themselves to gullwinged trees well, you have to drop the lower tree as well. The way I see it is get a whole front to match the wheel your wanting. It saves on parts selection and debugging although I put 04 wheels on my bike that has 09 forks and an arm with spacers built to take an 09 wheel and rotor spacing was dead on, had to make spacers for the front wheel but that isn't uncommon. The rear was a dead bolt in. The only real suggestion I have is to buy a complete later model setup forks with the brakes, master cylinder and axle. I know the money is higher but, you get parts that aren't wore out, parts that match and most of the time you save money over the total package. I just worked a deal on new zx14 forks with calipers and master for fair money so they are out there, just use a plan and follow it, it will save you tons of money in the long haul.

Les

HollywoodMX's Drouin Supercharged 77 KZ1000!! 07 Nov 2012 01:32 #557339

• Drooz
  • User
Hey, nice Project!! B) I'll be following along with interest! B)

I believe the zx6r rear wheel is 1/2" narrower than the zx10r. At least, the '04 -'05 one's are. It made it a little easier to get the chain inside the frame and past the wheel/tire. You can still use a 180mm tire.

We used a zx6r rear wheel and a whole zx10r front end on my KZ. :)
'77 kz1000 (zx10r) Modified/Street
'81 GPz550 "TrackBike"
'05 zx10r Retro/Mod Sportbike 4 SALE!!
'02 zrx1200r Lightly Modified Street SOLD!!
'74 h2b 750 (FZ600) "Mongrel" 2 Stroke SOLD!!

"Invictus Maneo" - I remain unvanquished.

Kawasaki - Let The Good Times Roll!

Mississauga, Ontario. CANADA

HollywoodMX's Drouin Supercharged 77 KZ1000!! 07 Nov 2012 02:09 #557347

• Hollywoodmx
  • User

les holt wrote: Not sure on the wheels of the 10 and 6 being different but I would bet that the 10's are wider. The 14's are heavy compared to the others by quite a bit. On the forks, Suzuki's are pretty consistent on fork size and length but Kaw's are all over the place. I like the newer stuff myself but they don't lend themselves to gullwinged trees well, you have to drop the lower tree as well. The way I see it is get a whole front to match the wheel your wanting. It saves on parts selection and debugging although I put 04 wheels on my bike that has 09 forks and an arm with spacers built to take an 09 wheel and rotor spacing was dead on, had to make spacers for the front wheel but that isn't uncommon. The rear was a dead bolt in. The only real suggestion I have is to buy a complete later model setup forks with the brakes, master cylinder and axle. I know the money is higher but, you get parts that aren't wore out, parts that match and most of the time you save money over the total package. I just worked a deal on new zx14 forks with calipers and master for fair money so they are out there, just use a plan and follow it, it will save you tons of money in the long haul.

Les

Thanks Les. Yes the zx14 are substantially heavier wheels than the zx10s. I was reading a thread where its a common swap to zx10 wheels for zx14'ers to get more performance, they even make swap kits.

I checked, the rears are different between the zx6 vs zx10; 06 zx6 is 5.5 inches wide and 25mm axle, zx10 is 6.0 inches wide and takes a 20mm axle. Price of a setup will dictate but I will try for the zx6 to maintain closer to the original tire so it doesn't go too fighter style.

Drooz wrote: Hey, nice Project!! B) I'll be following along with interest! B)

I believe the zx6r rear wheel is 1/2" narrower than the zx10r. At least, the '04 -'05 one's are. It made it a little easier to get the chain inside the frame and past the wheel/tire. You can still use a 180mm tire.

We used a zx6r rear wheel and a whole zx10r front end on my KZ. :)

Ok good to know. Do you have pics of your bike in thread somewhere?
- 82 GPz1100injection
- 77 Kz1075 Supercharged
- 81 Yamaha TR-1
- 81 Yamaha xv920
Calgary

HollywoodMX's Drouin Supercharged 77 KZ1000!! 07 Nov 2012 07:35 #557355

• Zedone
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
Nice bike Hollywood!

Very innovative head work.
You might want to install some SS braided brake lines, and it appears that your rear rotor has a decent size groove worn into it... I'm wondering how your brake pads are also. The stock Z1 KZ brakes are OK at best... let alone having a blower thrown into the equation :laugh: . A set of super bike bars or clip-ons would really inspire confidence also.

Someone spent alot of time and resources into your bike... I like the direction your headed with a super bike / cafe influence.

It almost looks like your pipe has been ceramic coated (hard to tell from a pic though). The new oil coolers available are much larger and make a noticeable improvement over the older ones.

Can you post more pics of your swingarm? I've never seen a Calfab with that type of extruded alum. tubing before... maybe it's a one off?

Regards, Doug
1977 KZ1000A1
1977 KZ1000A1 (Superbike Project)
1969 Chevrolet C/10 Short Fleet

HollywoodMX's Drouin Supercharged 77 KZ1000!! 07 Nov 2012 10:07 #557366

• StreetfighterKz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 117

Zedone wrote: Can you post more pics of your swingarm? I've never seen a Calfab with that type of extruded alum. tubing before... maybe it's a one off?

The swingarm on the supercharged bike just looks like a stock arm with an extra tube brace welded underneath and then painted silver.

Later, Doug
1978 z1000 Streetfighter
1976 z900 Stripfighter (work in progress)
1983 Gpz750 Resto-Mod
1989 Vmax