Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

HollywoodMX's Drouin Supercharged 77 KZ1000!! 02 Feb 2013 23:18 #570472

• Hollywoodmx
  • Hollywoodmx's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16

wireman wrote: Chuck the old zenith carb and find a flatslide to replace it with B)

Ya its this one on the left, the non push pull. Mine is 51mm on the intake filter side. I would replace if it made sense but these zeniths are 400-500 new still and this is more like a throttle body so I would say slightly more advanced over flat side carbs. BUT I think I would benefit from a bigger diameter carb.. :evil:

- 82 GPz1100injection
- 77 Kz1075 Supercharged
- 81 Yamaha TR-1
- 81 Yamaha xv920
Calgary

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Hollywoodmx.

HollywoodMX's Drouin Supercharged 77 KZ1000!! 03 Feb 2013 09:46 #570517

• turboking
  • User
  • Thank you received: 106
it's a facet buzzer fuel pump . facets came with many turbo or blower kits. fuel pressure out of this pump is 5 psi or lower . :woohoo:
just to make sure you don't lean your engine out (Run out of fuel) :pinch:

regarding your carburetor is it one you bought and stuck on your blower? :blink:

I know most bendix and zeniths were modified by atp for turbo, having modded emulsion tube and fuel seat. choke butterfly removed. I think the high speed circuit was modded also.
the reason these butterfly carbs were used is the slide would not get stuck in a wide open position when in high boost.

A mikuni rfs with dual cable would work.
but my self I always use bendix /zenith and s&s on turbos. I would like to try a 42 rfs mikuni on some of my stuff, but as long as my stuff ain't broke ,I won't change...........
2005 Kawasaki mean streak
2000 325 H.P. mcXpress turbo Hayabusa
1979 kz 1000 mk II ATP turbo
1975 Z1 960 cc Mr. Turbo
1975 Z1 1428 big block ATP turbo
1976 Kz900 1103 cc ATP turbo
1985 GS 1150E
1983 GS 1100E
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
2001 Kawasaki EX 500 Ninja
1972 Honda cb750 (836cc turbo)

Last edit: by turboking.

HollywoodMX's Drouin Supercharged 77 KZ1000!! 03 Feb 2013 09:57 #570519

• turboking
  • User

Hollywoodmx wrote:

wireman wrote: Tried editing my post to say fuel pressure regulator,but having troubles posting :sick: :laugh:

Ya my bad for not being clear. My description earlier wasn't good. I wasn't referring to the fpr. I knew what that was and the regulator. Woops. :pinch:

I was referring to these in this attached pic. The Nos part was attached to the FPR where you see the non connected ntp fitting, then to the carb. The gas tank feeds that weird aluminium box. Nos item has two wires running to it (neither were hooked up both looked like grounds) and the aluminium box had two wires hooked up, looks like power and ground.

turboking wrote: a low pressure (6 psi or less) adjustable fuel pressure regulator, I forget the brand name..... :whistle: looks like you are using a zenith or bendix carburetor . these carbs usually use less than 3 psi fuel pressure....... :huh:

It's good you said this. It's set at 2.5 and I was thinking that must be another measurement cause in race cars I was used to 40+ psi on the fpr's.(time to take back the fp gauge that was 0-100)..lol . So with your info it must be specifically a 1-5 PSI fpr. I was hoping to move it to 3 because on the carb the adjustable MJ is running out of room when I'm trying to richen it up to where the needle almost comes out. Now that kind of doesn't make sense to me because I am at 4000ft so I should be leaning it out more. That or that adjustable jet is too lean to begin with. Did they make different MJ sizes for those carbs?

Personally I set mine at 2 psi or less . :pinch: around 3 psi you may start blowing the fuel needle off the seat. but yes it will richen it some what.
these settings are what have worked for me all these years.
I use the zenith/ bendix with up to 30 psi of boost But I do have h20 injection and have not hurt any z engines yet :whistle:
1975 Z1 960 cc Mr. Turbo
1985 GS 1150E
1983 GS 1100E
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

HollywoodMX's Drouin Supercharged 77 KZ1000!! 03 Feb 2013 10:30 #570523

• turboking
  • User
I rechecked out your photo of the facet pump and your fuel solenoid for your nitrous.
IMO if you are feeding the blower carb and your nitrous from this facet pump. :ohmy: you may be looking at a meltdown.
At the very least I would use one of the cylindrical pumps that came with a nos kit and regulate it down for the blower carb off of it. Original aftermarket use for facet pumps was on Volkswagen bugs along with the regulator. ( :pinch: Low fuel needs) I've taken many facet pumps apart to repair them before .they buzz, the magnet energizes a plunger that moves back and forth , a spring returns it closed.

IMO a vane pump is much better like originally supplied with a NOS kit.

Hope this helps

www.holley.com/data/products/pictures/medium15760NOS.jpg
1975 Z1 960 cc Mr. Turbo
1985 GS 1150E
1983 GS 1100E
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200S

Last edit: by turboking. Reason: spelling

HollywoodMX's Drouin Supercharged 77 KZ1000!! 03 Feb 2013 10:37 #570524

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1471
Measure the carb on the manifold side, i bet it's 42 to 45mm ish. TOO SMALL.
Drouin supplied either a bendix or zenith carb (can't remember which but have the sales brocure somewhere) as an upgrade to the original 55mm injector.
I run a S&S super 'G' which is around 52mm and could really do with something bigger as i feel it's still restrictive as chargers need big chunks of air.
A super'D' would be the next best thing if wanting to stay carburated and then it's on to making a big throttle body which is my future plan maybe using one off a car as a basis to build off.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Last edit: by zed1015.

HollywoodMX's Drouin Supercharged 77 KZ1000!! 03 Feb 2013 16:06 #570572

• Hollywoodmx
  • User

turboking wrote: it's a facet buzzer fuel pump . facets came with many turbo or blower kits. fuel pressure out of this pump is 5 psi or lower . :woohoo:
just to make sure you don't lean your engine out (Run out of fuel) :pinch:

regarding your carburetor is it one you bought and stuck on your blower? :blink:

I know most bendix and zeniths were modified by atp for turbo, having modded emulsion tube and fuel seat. choke butterfly removed. I think the high speed circuit was modded also.
the reason these butterfly carbs were used is the slide would not get stuck in a wide open position when in high boost.

A mikuni rfs with dual cable would work.
but my self I always use bendix /zenith and s&s on turbos. I would like to try a 42 rfs mikuni on some of my stuff, but as long as my stuff ain't broke ,I won't change...........

Ya it's the one that came with it. I will pull it today as I am going to pull the sc so I can get access to paint the engine without pulling it out. I will measure and take pics.

PS. Again used to race cars, that fuel pump in my bike is entertaining looking.. :laugh:

turboking wrote:
Personally I set mine at 2 psi or less . :pinch: around 3 psi you may start blowing the fuel needle off the seat. but yes it will richen it some what.
these settings are what have worked for me all these years.
I use the zenith/ bendix with up to 30 psi of boost But I do have h20 injection and have not hurt any z engines yet :whistle:

I have h20 injection too. The pump is installed the lines are in a bin I think. Well perhaps I need to spend more time dialing it in. I posted a thread in the carb section with zenith tuning tips. I will try those when she is back together.

turboking wrote: I rechecked out your photo of the facet pump and your fuel solenoid for your nitrous.
IMO if you are feeding the turbo carb and your nitrous from this facet pump. :ohmy: you may be looking at a meltdown.
At the very least I would use one of the cylindrical pumps that came with a nos kit and regulate it down for the blower carb off of it. Original aftermarket use for facet pumps was on Volkswagen bugs along with the regulator. ( :pinch: Low fuel needs) I've taken many facet pumps apart to repair them before .they buzz, the magnet energizes a plunger that moves up and down , a spring returns it closed.

IMO a vane pump is much better like originally supplied with a NOS kit.

Hope this helps

www.holley.com/data/products/pictures/medium15760NOS.jpg

Ohhhh that was for the nitrous, I had it confused with "vintage nos" parts. The bike had nos and I have the parts but I dont plan on using it. I will remove that solonoid. Perhaps that soloniod is even getting in the way with the fuel pump effecting its performance which might be why I am unexpectedly running out of room on the high needle adjustment on the carb...?

My pump buzzes..lol.

Hey man, this is REALLY good info by the way. You are helping tonnes. If it's ok could you PM me your phone number? I wont need it anytime soon but in case you disapear and I need your help with something. If I choose to get the alc inj going I am clueless with what I have. I will take pics today as well.
- 82 GPz1100injection
- 77 Kz1075 Supercharged
- 81 Yamaha TR-1
- 81 Yamaha xv920
Calgary

Last edit: by Hollywoodmx.

HollywoodMX's Drouin Supercharged 77 KZ1000!! 03 Feb 2013 16:15 #570576

• Hollywoodmx
  • User

zed1015 wrote: Measure the carb on the manifold side, i bet it's 42 to 45mm ish. TOO SMALL.
Drouin supplied either a bendix or zenith carb (can't remember which but have the sales brocure somewhere) as an upgrade to the original 55mm injector.
I run a S&S super 'G' which is around 52mm and could really do with something bigger as i feel it's still restrictive as chargers need big chunks of air.
A super'D' would be the next best thing if wanting to stay carburated and then it's on to making a big throttle body which is my future plan maybe using one off a car as a basis to build off.

Ya I bet its 40mm!! :( That's the biggest one I could find on the web anyways.. We will see when I take it off today.

It seems to small to me too, I dont feel the bike is breathing enough/properly. That SC is huge for the bike compared to a small turbo system.

I have the original 1980 drouin brochure!lol! I can take pics of it.
- 82 GPz1100injection
- 77 Kz1075 Supercharged
- 81 Yamaha TR-1
- 81 Yamaha xv920
Calgary

HollywoodMX's Drouin Supercharged 77 KZ1000!! 03 Feb 2013 16:53 #570585

• turboking
  • User

:ohmy: facet pump is still available. they used to be less than $15.00 new....... see below :woohoo:
pm sent :lol:

1.5-4.5 Max. Pressure
$45.99
Solid State Purolator/Facet Fuel Pump

Our high-performance electric fuel pumps eliminate vapor lock and flooding with a smooth, constant and dependable supply of fuel- even on the hottest days and in the highest altitudes. We offer the dependibility of Purolator/Facet high-performance electric fuel pumps. It offers superior reliability and low power requirements. Fuel pumps are self-priming and compatible with all fuels including gasoline, diesel, blended alcohol and pure alcohol; there are no rubber diaphragms to swell or deteriorate in harsh conditions. They are quite easy to install, with a two-bolt installation and compact design. Proven on thousands of original equipment applications requiring moderate fuel volume.

1.5-4.5 Maximum Pressure with an average flow of 15 @ 1 PSI
1975 Z1 960 cc Mr. Turbo
1985 GS 1150E
1983 GS 1100E
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200S

HollywoodMX's Drouin Supercharged 77 KZ1000!! 03 Feb 2013 17:43 #570590

• turboking
  • User

Hollywoodmx wrote:

wireman wrote: Chuck the old zenith carb and find a flatslide to replace it with B)

Ya its this one on the left, the non push pull. Mine is 51mm on the intake filter side. I would replace if it made sense but these zeniths are 400-500 new still and this is more like a throttle body so I would say slightly more advanced over flat side carbs. BUT I think I would benefit from a bigger diameter carb.. :evil:

:huh: I thought drouin's used their own copy of hilborn manual fuel injection like a magnacharger ?
1975 Z1 960 cc Mr. Turbo
1985 GS 1150E
1983 GS 1100E
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200S

HollywoodMX's Drouin Supercharged 77 KZ1000!! 03 Feb 2013 17:48 #570592

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
something gives me the impression this supercharged motor has more meat on its bones than it would with a turbocharger.

HollywoodMX's Drouin Supercharged 77 KZ1000!! 03 Feb 2013 19:49 #570606

• Hollywoodmx
  • User

turboking wrote: :ohmy: facet pump is still available. they used to be less than $15.00 new....... see below :woohoo:
pm sent :lol:

1.5-4.5 Max. Pressure
$45.99
Solid State Purolator/Facet Fuel Pump

Our high-performance electric fuel pumps eliminate vapor lock and flooding with a smooth, constant and dependable supply of fuel- even on the hottest days and in the highest altitudes. We offer the dependibility of Purolator/Facet high-performance electric fuel pumps. It offers superior reliability and low power requirements. Fuel pumps are self-priming and compatible with all fuels including gasoline, diesel, blended alcohol and pure alcohol; there are no rubber diaphragms to swell or deteriorate in harsh conditions. They are quite easy to install, with a two-bolt installation and compact design. Proven on thousands of original equipment applications requiring moderate fuel volume.

1.5-4.5 Maximum Pressure with an average flow of 15 @ 1 PSI

Thanks man!

turboking wrote:
:huh: I thought drouin's used their own copy of hilborn manual fuel injection like a magnacharger ?

Says its has a 55 m.m butterfly fuel injector. I think its on the SC itself.

I was hoping just to pull the sc but it looks like the whole engine might have to come out.. :(

Please dont need to drop the oil pan, please dont need to drop the oil pan.. :sick:

donthaveakawman wrote: something gives me the impression this supercharged motor has more meat on its bones than it would with a turbocharger.

Not sure what that means...lol. :laugh:
- 82 GPz1100injection
- 77 Kz1075 Supercharged
- 81 Yamaha TR-1
- 81 Yamaha xv920
Calgary

HollywoodMX's Drouin Supercharged 77 KZ1000!! 03 Feb 2013 19:55 #570608

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
the boost on a turbo doesn't kick in until a certain point in the rpm range, blower has always got boost because it is driven by a belt.