Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

You Want Cheaper Gas, You're Getting It. 30 May 2022 06:23 #867901

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1863

Wow, 290 million vehicles in the US only. Wonder how many world wide these pipe dreamers are trying to magically make disappear. That doesn’t include planes, trains or boats, all of our toys, motorcycles, dirt bikes, side by sides, jet skies. What about our military and their gas dependent equipment. Standby power generators, gas or diesel powered welders/compressors on service trucks that keep all these things on the road. Farm tractors, lawnmowers, geez kinda big list when you start to write it out. 

Think about the power grid required to charge all this and what will fuel it ? I accept that change will have to come but before self charging technology etc can catch up I think they need to press "pause" A lot of domestic homes and workplaces don't have designated parking so central charging points will need to be installed ( the supply cable would need to be the size of a sewer pipe !)

We already have a lot of these charging points in shopping centres and other places Wookie, with thousands more being installed, no massive cables my friend, many here charge cars overnight from home. We have massive home solar here, almost every house in my area has rooftop solar, an average of 20 panels, most newer systems are 20 to 24 panels. The grid is already there, it may well need some changes but its already there, the only reason our grid hasn't been upgraded is purely due to politics.
Coincidently, due to the cost of coal going up, all our power prices are on the up again, some as much as 20%, the anti solar brigade will be pissed off,  but most of the people I know with home solar, won't notice a thing, because they already produce more power than they use, excess is sold back into the grid...
Australia has more solar energy per square metre than any country on earth, we'd be stupid not to take advantage of it. Also using solar to produce  hydrogen,  makes hydrogen a player in this too, as it becomes cost effective and extremely clean.   
Anyway, due to a lot of things, mainly disruption to the lead market players currently {and the deniers/flat earthers}, this transition is well under way and its the future, I'd love to keep my bikes and cars on the road forever, maybe there's a possibility that Hydrogen could play a part, but i'll likely be well dead when this is finally a reality, to expect no disruption is naive, but it'll happen, one way or the other....

Home charging isn't the issue (we have government grants to support the install of charge points here) what I was referring to was the significant number of people who can't charge at home or work that would need to go to a central point. A converted multi-storey car park with 400 charge points would need a significant power supply (this is the UK, the sun only comes out twice a year  )
Unfortunately the grants don’t cover enough here in the states. I’m a construction superintendent and just finished a 18,000 sgft 4.7 million dollar project. This company looked into 6 charging stations, the cost of equipment, and install vs the grant made it unfavorable and they didn’t install them. This is a company all about family, teamwork, and long term goals. I was surprised they passed.
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

You Want Cheaper Gas, You're Getting It. 30 May 2022 07:10 #867905

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1972
I have done a cost study on putting solar panels on my house  with batteries to get me thru the night about every 6 years .
What I found was  at best it is a swap of monies as to who I pay.
 Meaning   pay for solar or pay my power company . 
If I needed the power  to make a home where power wasnt available I would do it.
But with power available I am not ready to spend the money to break even. 
The deciding factor is the batteries.  Cost  vs Life span . After the cost of buying the system including batteries  , the payback is even money 
due to the lifespan. and the need to replace them when  they wore out . 
Once the battery cost comes down  , and the lifespan is greater  I will buy a systems.
This cost  factoring  when done over the years is based on energy costs at the time of  estimate  
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

You Want Cheaper Gas, You're Getting It. 30 May 2022 08:12 #867906

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
The math just doesn’t work. It is estimated the a 3 bedroom home should need a 4kwh solar array. It is estimated to produce annual 3,800 kWh. But I think this rating is based on a summer day with clear skies. Where in the world do you get sunny days 365 days a year. You don’t. Here in Michigan we get a total of 75 days of sunny clear sky days. Just based on environmental condition peak time is only 20% of 365. That means in reality we would only get 20% of 3,800 kWh or 760 kWh a year peak. They don’t give you the ratings during cloudy days. What Is a cloudy day? 30% Clouds , 50% clouds? Who knows. Anyway you look at it here is simple math. Given a 3,800 kWh array, my refrigerator is 115v x 8.5 amps. Usage calculators say to figure out you kWh used is volts x amps. Then you divide that by 3, I guess because your fridge cycles. So here’s the math. 115 x 8.5 = 977.5 / 3 = 325.8 running watts. Multiple by 24 hours = 7820 / 1000 equals 7.82 kWh per day. 7.82 x 365 = 2,854.3 kWh per year. My 3,800 kWh per year has just used 75% to just run the fridge. Now factor in that peak charging of the array is in reality only 20% based on real life conditions and my $10,000 investment can’t even run my refrigerator. 

If I’m wrong please correct me. 

www.energybot.com/blog/how-many-watts-do...efrigerator-use.html
www.theecoexperts.co.uk/solar-panels/what-size-do-i-need
www.solar-nation.org/what-does-the-rated...module-actually-mean
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Jimi Hendrix.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dragbike_Mike

Last edit: by Mikaw.

You Want Cheaper Gas, You're Getting It. 30 May 2022 08:46 #867908

• Wookie58
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1793
Unfortunately the grants don’t cover enough here in the states. I’m a construction superintendent and just finished a 18,000 sgft 4.7 million dollar project. This company looked into 6 charging stations, the cost of equipment, and install vs the grant made it unfavorable and they didn’t install them. This is a company all about family, teamwork, and long term goals. I was surprised they passed.

Mikaw it is hard to imagine any new project of that magnitude in this day and age getting planning approval without a charging provision ??
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mikaw

You Want Cheaper Gas, You're Getting It. 30 May 2022 09:05 #867909

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member

Mikaw it is hard to imagine any new project of that magnitude in this day and age getting planning approval without a charging provision ??
Cities/Townships planning approvals do force some infrastructure upgrades that I feel are pay to play and wrong. But it’s all localized. Like forcing the owners to extend underground system off their boundaries so it’s easier on the next build. The energy (gas/electric) will force additional similar items. It’s a way for the Cities/Townships to get improvements at the new owners experience. This would be great but when you develop/build the next new site you don’t get a discount for the pervious work that is now making yours “easier”. I’m sure you see the shakedown. So far on a federal/state level no mandates are in place to install stations. There maybe be if you get into really large projects but I’m not aware of that. 
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Jimi Hendrix.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

Last edit: by Mikaw.

You Want Cheaper Gas, You're Getting It. 30 May 2022 14:18 #867915

• ghostdive
  • User
  • Thank you received: 118
Just paid 5.65/gal for 93 in my Ninja. Oh well. Keep on rollin. Life is sweet.
1982 KZ750 Spectre - 6 speed swap, BS34s, 18" rear wheel

2001 ZX-6R

You Want Cheaper Gas, You're Getting It. 30 May 2022 16:44 #867920

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2624
This was called fake news on Fb fact (opinion) checkers but if you watched the movie I posted it fits.
Steve

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mikaw, Dragbike_Mike, howardhb

You Want Cheaper Gas, You're Getting It. 31 May 2022 17:29 #867959

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
Guys you need to stop. there is soooo much bullshit in this thread, its not a good look. this is a motorcycle site WTF are you even trying to accomplish? what if you spent this energy on your motorcycles?

The following user(s) said Thank You: ghostdive, Wookie58

Last edit: by DoctoRot.

You Want Cheaper Gas, You're Getting It. 01 Jun 2022 09:36 #867980

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2624
Like I said everyone has their opinion but none are absolute. 
Steve

You Want Cheaper Gas, You're Getting It. 01 Jun 2022 10:44 #867985

• daveo
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 634

Guys you need to stop. there is soooo much bullshit in this thread, its not a good look. this is a motorcycle site WTF are you even trying to accomplish? what if you spent this energy on your motorcycles?

Absolutely...all the "bullsh*t"  must be stopped November 8, 2022!

1982 KZ1100-A2

The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

You Want Cheaper Gas, You're Getting It. 01 Jun 2022 10:49 #867986

• ghostdive
  • User
  • Thank you received: 118
Marked down 11/8/22 on my calendar as the day we will finally be free of political posts on this site. 
1982 KZ750 Spectre - 6 speed swap, BS34s, 18" rear wheel

2001 ZX-6R

You Want Cheaper Gas, You're Getting It. 01 Jun 2022 12:24 #867988

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
And no one answered my very simple question - What are you trying to achieve with this armchair politico rhetoric here? Do you think that this is the best platform for that?

Steve you are a mod. I respect the work you do here, but have you ever considered that because this site relies on donations, you may be discouraging donations from people who don't agree with your "opinions"? You may have a disclaimer in your signature but you ARE an ambassador for the site. Why would anyone want to donate here to support server space for your political agenda if it didn't align with theirs? What about the vendors? Do they want to cosign your poltical beliefs by supporting the site?

We all love these old bikes. Why cant we rally around that instead of finding yet another way to drive us apart?
The following user(s) said Thank You: DOHC, Mc Tavish, ghostdive

Last edit: by DoctoRot.