Major modifications to tank / welding etc..

More
17 Dec 2011 10:09 #493459 by jydog
I need to modify my tank to have a return for efi. I have the petcock and return off an 83-84 gpz tank that I could weld into my tank but this looks like a major undertaking to me and I am also considering changing out the gas cap for a more modern sportbike setup. I know welding a fuel tank can be very dangerous so I am researching this very carefuly before pulling the trigger. I also hate to cut up a nice tank with the possibility of ruining it. Maybe Im overlooking some easier way to get a return back into the tank. Im going all out here if I cant find a simpler solution. Any ideas or has anyone done this before? Im working with a gas mig so it's not the ideal setup for this kind of fab work.

81 KZ1000 LTD
Griffin GA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Dec 2011 10:30 - 17 Dec 2011 10:32 #493460 by jydog
What Im working with.

I even considered a zrx tank but it just dosent look right to me.

81 KZ1000 LTD
Griffin GA
Last edit: 17 Dec 2011 10:32 by jydog.

More
17 Dec 2011 10:41 #493462 by Boostable
Replied by Boostable on topic Major modifications to tank / welding etc..
jydog,

I was going to do the exact some thing and replace the filler cap with a ZX10 unit I have. However after doing some repair work on the tank with my MIG I quickly figured out that it was not the ideal method and will quickly burn holes in the tank. I got away with it as all I needed to do was tac some material in and clean it up, but I think doing the cap would require going another direction, possibly TIG.

As far as the return is there any area available on the float plate that you could tap and use? If so, may be the easier route. Otherwise, I would have a 1x1 1/4 plate welded somewhere on the tank and then tap it.

~Jack

1982 KZ1000 J2 ~ Project (Street Fighter - Project Section)
1976 KZ900 - Daily Rider

More
17 Dec 2011 11:24 #493464 by etbike3135
Replied by etbike3135 on topic Major modifications to tank / welding etc..
Very nice looking bike. I have to ask, are you in love with the fuel gauge? I almost think I would take that apart and drill and pipe tap that cover and put the return there? It may not be the ideal place but it would keep you from welding on your tank. I would think any bung that gets welded would need support around the base like the factory does on the inside and outside.

1973 Kawasaki Z1
18 years in dragbikes

• andy9802gt
  • User
  • If it tastes that good, eat it yourself.
More
17 Dec 2011 12:27 #493467 by andy9802gt
Replied by andy9802gt on topic Major modifications to tank / welding etc..
I weld sheet metal every day with a mig welder. As long as you set the machine up correctly and take your time you'll be fine. In such a small area it would be best to make tack welds and let them cool before putting more tacks on. If you are worried about gas vapors fill the tank with water to dispense the fumes. When your done put rubbing alcohol in it to evaporate any moisture left from the water.

'78 KZ1075 LTD
stage 1 head by Larry Cavanaugh
race built crank by John Pearson
Mikuni rs34's
k410 cams
back cut tranny
8" over D&G swinger
proving once again that age and treachery is better than youth and enthusiasm

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
17 Dec 2011 13:43 #493473 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Major modifications to tank / welding etc..
I agree with Andy. Get a roll of 0.023" MIG wire for welding sheet metal. It makes it so much easier. I did a fair amount of welding on my tank that way. Still holding gas a year later.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

More
17 Dec 2011 19:51 - 17 Dec 2011 19:54 #493520 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Major modifications to tank / welding etc..
Is brazing totally out of favor now? I am planning on brazing a 5/16 steel tube into my tank for a return line.

I enjoy torch work :)

KD9JUR
Last edit: 17 Dec 2011 19:54 by steell.

• testarossa
  • User
More
17 Dec 2011 21:39 #493534 by testarossa
Actually, I did discover one minor pinhole leak after testing my welds. I brazed that one shut. The torch is quite satisfying as well.

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

More
17 Dec 2011 22:47 #493547 by Boostable
Replied by Boostable on topic Major modifications to tank / welding etc..
Now you guys got me thinking maybe I can put that ZX10 filler in there!! I think my issue was mig to hot and area I was repairing was super thin.

~Jack

1982 KZ1000 J2 ~ Project (Street Fighter - Project Section)
1976 KZ900 - Daily Rider

More
18 Dec 2011 02:56 #493579 by nitrochristian
Replied by nitrochristian on topic Major modifications to tank / welding etc..
if you need a way to tap into a tank again look into a bulkhead fitting all you need to do is drill a hole they work great and you can them as small as 10/32. takes away the need for welding

78 KZ650
96 Ford Bronco

More
18 Dec 2011 07:11 - 18 Dec 2011 08:15 #493594 by jydog
What would be the best source for a gas cap? I thinking a kawasaki 51049-1079

part number cross

looks like a lot of kawasakis use this.

Tap the fuel sender? I'll definitly try this first if I decide not to weld, But for now Im leaning toward welding. Nothing risked, nothing gained.

The bulkhead fitting is a great idea but I would be afraid of leaks since it has to come from the bottom. How reliable would this be and would you have to have access to the inside of the tank to secure the fitting?

I was going to try and use the return check valve from the gpz efi and the fuel petcock but after looking at them they are not in the best shape and what benifit would the pingle petcock be over stock?

I would try brazing but that would be a new learning curve for me so for now Im going to stick with my mig.

Thanks for everyone's input. I think Im going to try to source a cap and mount ( if anyone has one for sale with the mount and key let me know ), weld an aftermarket return check valve in and use the stock petcock.

81 KZ1000 LTD
Griffin GA
Last edit: 18 Dec 2011 08:15 by jydog.

• testarossa
  • User
More
18 Dec 2011 10:46 #493606 by testarossa
Just an idea about changing to a modern gas cap. Find a cheap, beat up tank on Ebay with the style of cap that you like. That way you can cut out the sheetmetal around the cap. Just take an extra inch around the circumference of the cap so you have something to weld to. Then cut out the same size hole in the top of your KZ tank and then weld it in. Make sure to keep the hole very close to the same shape as the donor filler neck piece. You don't want to be trying to weld across big gaps with that thin of sheetmetal. It burns through way to easy if your fitting job isn't precise.

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman