Kz1000 Carbon Fiber Fuel Tank

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
09 Sep 2010 05:04 #397194 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Kz1000 Carbon Fiber Fuel Tank
I hear you man. I had the same problem for most of 2009. I was at about 60% of 2008, and that was with a big push in the fourth quarter of 09. However, I have the opposite problem now. I have parts piled up everywhere, and scarce time to work on the bike. I'm lucky to get an hour a day in during the week, and thanks to Brandy's patience, about 8 hrs on the weekend. I'm just thankful that I kept my job the whole time, and things are back on track now. I don't know what you do for a living, but some company would a damn fool for not hiring you. Your perserverance and attention to detail should take you a long way, but that stuff is hard to quantify on a resume.

I would go so far as to say that you have made huge progress for an individual working out of his garage. I would have never thought about moulding my own CF parts, but you have proven that it is possible.

If you don't mind, shoot me a pm with a fair price on a completed set of bodywork. Make sure that you fix it so that you can actually make money. I would like to know what a reasonable price for this is. No way it's going on my current project, but I have a couple of ideas in mind.

Keep plugging bud. Someone once told me how to go about eating an elephant. Please, pass the salt...

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
09 Sep 2010 08:16 #397246 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Kz1000 Carbon Fiber Fuel Tank
sometimes it takes longer for the mail in the same state than it does for stuff i send 5 states away...it would be cool if it gets there by sat...but plan on mon or tue....
i get piles of decals at the races and threw a few cool tool box Mcycle ones in too and top dead center II...peace

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• trianglelaguna
  • User
More
09 Sep 2010 08:26 #397247 by trianglelaguna
oh,and i am not worried aboutany of the stock tail decals getting removed they make a whole set for the restorer,helmet hook,info,everything new...it is one sweet tail though so it should be a good mold......just handling it made me remember the few Z-1's i had in my youth...i remember the first times i saw KZ tails i was thinking they looked dumpy and generic after all the times washing and waxing a Z-1 tail,i could really notice the subtle swoop and ridge differences ....anyways....enjoy and dont worry,do whatever you need to it.....your carbon concept body is worth any changes to an e-bay tail that may arise....

I got that for around 30 with ship incl...and it was bone stock and complete with drawer and grommets...e-bay is pretty good some days.....

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
More
09 Sep 2010 08:57 #397256 by porchev914
Replied by porchev914 on topic Kz1000 Carbon Fiber Fuel Tank
Thanks for the kind words Josh. I'll pm you later.

Thanks for the tail Craig. I'm not in a hurry anyway. In fact, I'm going to have to pick up some more fiberglass to make the mold for it, because I'm pretty sure I will use up the last of Leon's supply on the tank. Luckily fiberglass is cheap! Thanks for the boo and the other goodies too. My wife likes the shirt you sent last time :laugh:

FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end

• trianglelaguna
  • User
More
09 Sep 2010 09:06 - 09 Sep 2010 09:46 #397257 by trianglelaguna
Hey no prob..tell her we'll send more...Amy wears em around the house...they are tough too..i use when i do side jobs and they are years on now..

Have you ever read up on the britten 1000 and John Brittens development of the carbon fiber wheels and components,,,,it reminds me of the path your getting farther down each new part....

there is a chapter with a lot of it in one of the Kevin Cameron books i sent...peace

bikeadvice.in/john-britten-v1000/

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife
Last edit: 09 Sep 2010 09:46 by trianglelaguna.

More
09 Sep 2010 09:21 #397258 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic Kz1000 Carbon Fiber Fuel Tank
porchev914 wrote:

Thank you Terry. Trust me reading all 9 pages isn't half as crazy as writing most of them :whistle: Who's the one without the life now??? :blink:

:laugh: I LOL'd

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

More
09 Sep 2010 11:18 #397286 by WmsKaw
Replied by WmsKaw on topic Kz1000 Carbon Fiber Fuel Tank
531blackbanshee wrote:

porchev914 wrote:

Thank you Terry. Trust me reading all 9 pages isn't half as crazy as writing most of them :whistle: Who's the one without the life now??? :blink:

hey all those late nights,early mornings and long days that you are working is what allows the rest of us slackers to sleep well at night.with our clear conscience's knowing that you are fighting the good fight! :laugh: :ohmy: :huh:
keep up the good work you have legions of slackers in awe of your abilities :P .

leon

As a card-carrying member of the Legion of Slackers, Kentucky Chapter, I have to say your work is nothing short of incredible. If I lived in SoCal I would instead join the Legion of Lackeys. It's not that I'm lazy, it's just that my fists are pink and reek of swine. I can turn a wrench but when it takes more finesse than that I have to defer to those with actual talent.

Carry on, man, you have the full (moral) support of the Legion of Slackers!!

Leon, I'm late to the party, but sorry to hear about your fall; glad you were able to make it off the road OK and I wish you and the bike a speedy recovery.

Charlie Posey

Henderson, KY

1976 KZ900A4

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Sep 2010 20:12 #397369 by porchev914
I appreciate the kudos, I really do. Unfortunately, I don't think it's entirely deserved..... any one of the members reading this is capable of learning to do what I'm doing. Everything I'm doing I learned by researching on the internet and trial and error. It doesn't take expensive equipment or tools and you don't have to be a rocket scientist :laugh:

I also realize not everyone wants to tackle something like this, not to mention carbon fiber isn't everyones cup of tea (but how can that be?) So, like Leon said, I'm fighting the good fight for all of you that enjoy folling along as I try to figure this stuff out :whistle:

Thanks for the link Craig, I didn't know anything about the Britten bike. That dude was a helluva incredible visionary and fabricator. WAAAAAAAAY above my level :P

In conclusion, I'll take ALL the support I can get! ;)

FRANKEN Z!

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Sep 2010 00:26 #397398 by porchev914
I must have a sickness. I even told myself I wouldn't take anymore pics making the mold....It's boring, I though. I've already posted mold pic to death I though. I already posted that I wouldn't put up any more mold pics..... but here I am. What can I say, I have no life! :laugh: I have a few more layers of reinforcement to lay on the tank, and then the top mold will be done!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: Here it is as of this evening

I have 4 or so layers of chopped strand mat on the tank body, and a couple layers of 10oz cloth on the flange. I'll exhaust the rest of my chopped strand mat on the tank body and lay some of the 4oz fabric over the entire mold. The final piece will be to glue wooden blocks onto the flange along the top a load distribution washers for the bolts that will hold the mold together. Then I'll drill the holes and split the mold. It's so exciting!!! Well, it is for me anyways :P

FRANKEN Z!
Attachments:

More
10 Sep 2010 09:17 #397450 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic Kz1000 Carbon Fiber Fuel Tank
oh it is exciting for us to(the legion of slackers,here to for referred to as the l.o.s. haha :laugh: ).maybe even more so because i haven't gotten itchy once throughout this whole process :P .

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Sep 2010 17:06 #397536 by porchev914
Fellow L.O.S., we are almost there. I need to drill holes in the wood blocks, then it's time to de-mold :woohoo:

FRANKEN Z!

More
10 Sep 2010 17:49 - 13 Feb 2012 19:32 #397558 by KZ250LTD
Replied by KZ250LTD on topic .

79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.
Last edit: 13 Feb 2012 19:32 by KZ250LTD.