Kz1000 Carbon Fiber Fuel Tank

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
More
13 Sep 2010 10:34 - 13 Sep 2010 11:24 #398263 by porchev914
Replied by porchev914 on topic Kz1000 Carbon Fiber Fuel Tank
Why thank you Leon. I can say now that I'm not too crazy on the pearl..... where the resin pooled a little, it looks like pockets of milky resin, and anywhere alse you can't tell. That would probably change a little if I clear coated the part, so I will reserve final judgement for a later date, or try the pearl on a sidecover too. On this mold I wasn't as concerned about appearance, so I sanded the mold with 600 grit and left it. So the corresponding parts I make have a kinda matte finish. Also, I think I would use a couple more layers of fabric on the part. It turned out much thinner than I thought it would, but it is also LIGHT. It weighs in at a whopping 13.2oz That sounds like alot, but for the size of the part, it feels like a feather. This is my first piece toward making my carbon fiber fuel tank, enjoy! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

I expect the tank top to weigh at least twice as much as the bottom, but even then, the raw tank may weigh in at around 3 lbs.... :whistle:

FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Sep 2010 11:24 by porchev914.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
13 Sep 2010 10:41 #398265 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Kz1000 Carbon Fiber Fuel Tank
That looks good enough for a tank bottom. Could you mix the pearl in your first coat of clear when you shoot it? Then follow up with some straight clear for subsequent coats.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
13 Sep 2010 10:42 #398267 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic Kz1000 Carbon Fiber Fuel Tank
Having never done anything like this, I'm surprised how much of the mold texture actually comes through to the fabric (specifically the square towards the back of the tank). I still don't think I can fully understand the process without watching someone actually do it...guess I'm off to Youtube.

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Sep 2010 11:18 #398274 by porchev914
Here is a pic that shows the pearl resin pooling in the tighter radius corners.

I was pleased that the fabric conformed very well to the mold and I was using single pieces of fabric. That indicates that I will be able to use single pieces of cloth on the tank top piece so the weave will be uninterupted.

Josh, I think that that would be the best way to go. I though that if I incorporated the pearl in the resin it would work the same, but I suppose not :ohmy: Experiment and learn :P

DoubleD, EVERY aspect of the mold gets imparted to the piece being molded. Every scratch, every dip, every pinhole, every imperfection is reflected in the laminated part. That is why mold quality is of paramount importance, ESPECIALLY a piece that is designed to show the fabric weave. The square you speak of is the rear tank mount. It is a secondary patch of steel spot welded to the main underside panel to reinforce the rear mount. I took off the mount, but I left the reinforcing steel patch there because it hase locating pins for the rear mount. The patch however had a small gap, and if that gap were to fill with resin, it would have locked the mold to the tank (not my idea of fun times) so I filleted the gap around the steel panel with modeling clay. So the texture you are looking at was imparted by the modeling clay, and I was too lazy to sand it all smooth :blush: Look at me, getting lazy :S

FRANKEN Z!
Attachments:

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
13 Sep 2010 11:24 #398275 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic Kz1000 Carbon Fiber Fuel Tank
Very cool.

More
13 Sep 2010 12:12 #398279 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic Kz1000 Carbon Fiber Fuel Tank
sproing!

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

• testarossa
  • User
More
13 Sep 2010 12:20 #398280 by testarossa
porchev914 wrote:

DoubleD, EVERY aspect of the mold gets imparted to the piece being molded. Every scratch, every dip, every pinhole, every imperfection is reflected in the laminated part. That is why mold quality is of paramount importance, ESPECIALLY a piece that is designed to show the fabric weave. The square you speak of is the rear tank mount. It is a secondary patch of steel spot welded to the main underside panel to reinforce the rear mount. I took off the mount, but I left the reinforcing steel patch there because it hase locating pins for the rear mount. The patch however had a small gap, and if that gap were to fill with resin, it would have locked the mold to the tank (not my idea of fun times) so I filleted the gap around the steel panel with modeling clay. So the texture you are looking at was imparted by the modeling clay, and I was too lazy to sand it all smooth :blush: Look at me, getting lazy :S

This is why molding equipment and specifically the molds themselves are soo expensive. There is a TON of finishing work to removing tooling marks from machined molds. As porchev says, if its on the mold, then it's on every part out of the mold. I wind up machining small plastic parts almost daily because the batch size is not big enough to justify the expense of molding. Some of those batches are for 5000 pieces, and that still isn't enough.

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Sep 2010 14:06 - 13 Sep 2010 14:10 #398301 by porchev914
I can see why high production quality molds are soooooooo expensive. It would take a guy a few months to make a set start to finish. :whistle:

I was curious how much weight I had in "casting flash", so I trimmed the tank bottom piece fairly close to the seam line and re-weighed it. 11.2 oz......I'm going to measure the flange on the carbon piece and see if it's half of the thickness of the tank seam. If it's thin enough, I'll increase the layers of the entire laminate to 5. If not, I'll increase the layers over most of the piece, just not the seam areas.
The trimmed part-

FRANKEN Z!
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Sep 2010 14:10 by porchev914.

• testarossa
  • User
More
13 Sep 2010 14:46 #398304 by testarossa
Do you have a weight goal for your bike or just as low as possible with what you have?

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Sep 2010 16:10 #398328 by porchev914
No Josh, no weight goal. I'm just trying to keep track of everything thats added, subtracted or modified with the hope that the bike will be lighter in the end. I'm not sure what my bike actually weighed in wet, stock, but I know it was well in the 500lb range. The lower in the range the better, she's a heavy bitch :pinch:

FRANKEN Z!

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
13 Sep 2010 17:40 #398349 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Kz1000 Carbon Fiber Fuel Tank
when i was younger...i liked to trim off extra brackets and swap for lighter parts....seems...like a waste of time these days to try and trim 50-75 lbs off of the bike...

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
13 Sep 2010 19:41 #398404 by elfmagic17
Replied by elfmagic17 on topic Kz1000 Carbon Fiber Fuel Tank
porchev914 wrote:

Why thank you Leon. I can say now that I'm not too crazy on the pearl..... where the resin pooled a little, it looks like pockets of milky resin, and anywhere alse you can't tell. That would probably change a little if I clear coated the part, so I will reserve final judgement for a later date, or try the pearl on a sidecover too. On this mold I wasn't as concerned about appearance, so I sanded the mold with 600 grit and left it. So the corresponding parts I make have a kinda matte finish. Also, I think I would use a couple more layers of fabric on the part. It turned out much thinner than I thought it would, but it is also LIGHT. It weighs in at a whopping 13.2oz That sounds like alot, but for the size of the part, it feels like a feather. This is my first piece toward making my carbon fiber fuel tank, enjoy! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

I expect the tank top to weigh at least twice as much as the bottom, but even then, the raw tank may weigh in at around 3 lbs.... :whistle:

Sorry dude!! I just had to change my Undies after seeing that Sweet tank bottom! Great work man!!

Kenny Hicks
74 Honda CB550
75 Honda CB360 (runs and rides good but not a show bike)
77 KZ650B1 (Runs Great, but needs painted and a little work.)