Kz1000 Carbon Fiber Fuel Tank

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
More
19 Feb 2011 21:51 #431995 by porchev914
Replied by porchev914 on topic Kz1000 Carbon Fiber Fuel Tank
Thanks Leon B) It's been a journey for sure, but I've got a long way to go, and a lot still to learn! I've also been thinking alot about my tank mold, and the wet layup/vacuum bagging process I have been using to date. Because of the extensive amount of time it takes to do a wet layup on the tank top, I had to use a specialty resin with a long pot life. Unfortunately, this resin has a couple drawbacks such as a thicker viscosity and yellow tint. Due to the resin compromises and the reasons for the compromises, I've decided to try a slightly different approach. That approach will be a resin infusion layup. In this process, the reinforcement is layered in the mold dry, then bagged like a wet layup. A vacuum is pulled on the part dry. Then, the mixed resin is introduced through a separate tube. The vacuum pulls the resin into, and across the part. The advantages here are unlimited time to place/position the reinforcement, unlimited time to check the part after pulling a vacuum and correct any issues like air leaks and bag bridging in tight corner. It also allows me to use a thinner, water clear resin that will set/cure faster. What's all these great benefits going to cost you ask? Not much more than I already have invested, plus some more experimentation. Time to order $30 of infusion materials and get to experimenting B)

FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
More
19 Feb 2011 22:40 #432003 by porchev914
Replied by porchev914 on topic Kz1000 Carbon Fiber Fuel Tank
mtbspeedfreak wrote:

You ever think about making a carbon fiber airbox?

www.cyclemadness.com/cmforum/index.php?topic=680.0

My brother has been playing around with making custom CF kayak paddles, I'm how far a little sweet talk would get me? B)

Actually, I was thinking about something airbox like. I would not be able to fit a box like the one in your link, but I had an idea for a carbon shield around the pods. I could make something more complex, but it would take some work, and likely be a one off part. If your brother is into carbon, see if he has a vacuum pump and some of the bagging supplies. If he does, you're in business :woohoo:

FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.