4to6 inch over arm and 17x5.5 rim?

More
20 Sep 2006 07:41 #78132 by mikekz900
Replied by mikekz900 on topic 4to6 inch over arm and 17x5.5 rim?
Yea the stuff he does looks pretty slick. Now if you are going to extend the fender and tail piece does that mean you all just don't like how far the tail light looks sticking out past the fender on my bike or what? I think I'll send him a message? How much are his paint jobs want to get mine resprayed I'm just very picky about orange peel and quality of job.

I am trying to figure out what to do with it to make it look better. I don't know if I should just try and get the same clearance between the tire and fender as the stock way looked or just move the fender up so I basically have the same radius/arch as the tire and then move the tail light in more towards the tail piece? This is a hard thing to do either way!

I love the stretched look I think they should have all come like that or at least a little more towards the rear of the bike. As far as handling the bike definitely rides a little stiffer and I think that is because of my shock angle. The other thing that I'm not really that crazy about is that my right turns are very limited now, and although I didn't build the bike to be a great road course bike it would still be a little nicer to get a little bit more lean while making turns. I have dragged the header just a couple of times, but now I'm getting use to it. And I now don't have a traction problem like before, but I can still do one hellacious burnout.

Went to Ocean City this past weekend for bike week, and some dude almost wrecked his Harley starring at my bike, he was trying to ask me question while riding and kept on saying that is the baddest kz I've ever seen and then a car stopped really hard in front of him and boy did my a--hole pucker up thinking he was going to bite it, but everything was good and he survived. I had to pull over and talk to him and he wants me to build him one, and he wants to sell his Harley for one. Now that is the best compliment anyone could receive. Sorry for the novel, just trying to share my experiences.

Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Sep 2006 07:44 #78134 by mikekz900
Replied by mikekz900 on topic 4to6 inch over arm and 17x5.5 rim?
Zed or Zee, I do have the fender extender on there already. It's actually a little longer than the one they sell.

• wireman
  • Visitor
20 Sep 2006 10:40 #78197 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic 4to6 inch over arm and 17x5.5 rim?
mikekz900 wrote:

Yea the stuff he does looks pretty slick. Now if you are going to extend the fender and tail piece does that mean you all just don't like how far the tail light looks sticking out past the fender on my bike or what? I think I'll send him a message? How much are his paint jobs want to get mine resprayed I'm just very picky about orange peel and quality of job.

I am trying to figure out what to do with it to make it look better. I don't know if I should just try and get the same clearance between the tire and fender as the stock way looked or just move the fender up so I basically have the same radius/arch as the tire and then move the tail light in more towards the tail piece? This is a hard thing to do either way!

I love the stretched look I think they should have all come like that or at least a little more towards the rear of the bike. As far as handling the bike definitely rides a little stiffer and I think that is because of my shock angle. The other thing that I'm not really that crazy about is that my right turns are very limited now, and although I didn't build the bike to be a great road course bike it would still be a little nicer to get a little bit more lean while making turns. I have dragged the header just a couple of times, but now I'm getting use to it. And I now don't have a traction problem like before, but I can still do one hellacious burnout.

Went to Ocean City this past weekend for bike week, and some dude almost wrecked his Harley starring at my bike, he was trying to ask me question while riding and kept on saying that is the baddest kz I've ever seen and then a car stopped really hard in front of him and boy did my a--hole pucker up thinking he was going to bite it, but everything was good and he survived. I had to pull over and talk to him and he wants me to build him one, and he wants to sell his Harley for one. Now that is the best compliment anyone could receive. Sorry for the novel, just trying to share my experiences.

Mike

yours looks good im just trying to detail mine to the gnats ass i guess.like i told him yesterday on the phone i want it too look and fit like a stock z1 tailpiece so people have to scratch their heads trying to figure out whats differant about it.mine is only gonna be about 3"over stock since we are gonna rake the frontend a couple degrees to clear the turbo the rear wont have to be stretched as much.i didnt want to use one of those banana boat looking tailpieces so ive been holding back trying to figure out how to lengthen a stock tailpiece . ;)

More
20 Sep 2006 12:46 #78256 by tw..
Replied by tw.. on topic 4to6 inch over arm and 17x5.5 rim?
When you say your right turns are more limited is that because of your pipe dragging or is it due to the angle of the shocks?

The reason i ask is because i had the same problem when i extended my rear end but my problem ended up being the rear tire. I had done so many burnouts until my tire was virtually a slick and when leaned into a corner the tire was riding on its edge and very unstable. It took me a while to figure out what was going on because it got worse over time or should i say burnouts. So the last time i had my rear end apart i also changed the tire and the problem went away. I have struts and straight handle bars on my bike and it corners real nice. I often lean into corners with only my right hand on the handle bars which i could never do before.

I'm not saying that your problem is your rear tire. Just throwing out other possible soultions.

tw

2-1976 KZ900 A4
1995 KZ1000 Police bike
1978 Z1R

More
20 Sep 2006 15:45 #78298 by requiem
Replied by requiem on topic 4to6 inch over arm and 17x5.5 rim?
i must say, if a harley man wants to sell his bike to get you to build one, you have a sick, sick bike.

More
23 Sep 2006 11:16 #78958 by kawman1974
Replied by kawman1974 on topic 4to6 inch over arm and 17x5.5 rim?
I was wondering if you were able to get the 190 tire to fit in this set up. I have a 74 Z1900 (1105CC) with a 6 over custom arm and had the tab welded for the disk and it is finally time to put a rear disc set up on the bike and I want to step up the width of the tire set up at the same time. I use to have a 74 z1 turbo and the guy I got it from had a 180 on it and I have heard that is about the limit. Let me know if you were able to get the chain spacing worked out for the 190 tire. I would love to go with the 190 set up too. Very cool bike.
Thanks,
Warren

More
24 Sep 2006 02:09 #79132 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic 4to6 inch over arm and 17x5.5 rim?
After you get the front rim to an 18", just figure out how much you wantto lower the fender and drill two holes directly above the stock holes in the fender. I have done this many times. If you want to clean it up, just cut off the material down to the top of the stock holes and do some contouring and it will look stock. An idea for the rear fender is to use the fender extender like said. I have seen this taken to extremes and it stuck the light out to far for me, so there is a line you can go too far cosmetically. I am going to do this this winter and I'm thinking of moving the tailpiece and rear fender in total back. Then I was going to take the stock seat and extend it to cover the space left open. I've also seen guys who run an offset front sprocket(without the support) and they cut the front sprocket cover on the rear side enough to clear the chain. Done right, unless you are looking for it, you don't really notice it.

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
24 Sep 2006 02:11 #79133 by racer54
Take a good look at the tire spec.s before ordering them. You can have two tires same size but one can actually be smaller across then the other. It depends on the shape of the tire crown(edge of sidewall to edge of sidewall). You can still have a wide look but if the tire is rounded more, you will have more room to clear chain, etc.

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
24 Sep 2006 08:07 #79159 by kawman1974
Is everyone that is running the wider tire set up on the back using the 5.5" rim or is anyone able to get a 6" wide rim to work (of course assuming the swing arm allows). I am mainly concerned about chain clearance to the tire and trying to keep the tire centered in the bike. What tire size and brand did you run with you rim size? Any input from anyone that has done this already would be appreciated.

Also when running the 5/8" offset sprocket on the front, does the inside of the stock cover clear or does it need to be ground back for clearance?
Thanks!!
Warren

More
24 Sep 2006 12:50 #79192 by racer54
I have a 5.5 rim on my turbo. It used to have an Avon 200 (which is a favorite size) and run a 5/8 offset front sprocket. VERY close to the chain. If the tire rubbed the chain a little, I know they used to put the bike on a stand, start it, and hold a file to the edge of the tire enough to take the edge off the side of the tire enough to clear chain. Depending on what you are after, a 200mm tire looks good but on a 5.5 and maybe a 6" rim, it will be rounded a bit, more so on a 5.5" rim. For traction, you better to go to a 180 or even a 170 to flatten tire out some. Most racers are using 170 on 5.5 rim for this reason. To run a 5/8 offset, I am sure you will have to make some changes to the front cover. I've seen it done and it looks good. I almost overlooked the modification at first...just cut just enough to clear.

More
24 Sep 2006 19:41 #79315 by kawman1974
racer-
Thanks for the info. What tire size are you currently running with your 5.5"? Do you have some detail pics of your bike? I would like to check it out.

I like your idea about flatening the tire out. I had a 1327CC Turbo with a solid rim with a 180 tire but I never checked what rim size it was (It was already set up when I bought it). It looked VERY good. Does anyone have a rear disc hub (spoked) that they would want to sell? I want to lace up new spokes to an aluminum rim. It looks like some versions of 77 and 78 Kz1000's had disk rims on the back.
Thanks racer,
Warren

• wireman
  • Visitor
24 Sep 2006 19:49 #79321 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic 4to6 inch over arm and 17x5.5 rim?
id like to find a talon rear hub to lace up to a 5.5" rear rim,if it wasnt for the $400.00 price tag for a new one! :P if somebody knows where i can find a decent used one i can doll up,id be more than happy to part with a stock hub cheap!:evil: