4to6 inch over arm and 17x5.5 rim?

More
31 Jul 2006 12:58 #66122 by mikekz900
4to6 inch over arm and 17x5.5 rim? was created by mikekz900
Hello All,
I'm in the process of doing a 4 to 6 inch over arm with a 17X5.5 spoke(that I had made) rim with drum brake trying to fit a 190/50/17 Shinko tire. I'm having a hard time figuring everything out. Like offsets on the wheel. I already bought an 5/8 offset sprocket for the front, but since I kept the drum brake I'm having a hard time with hooking up the brakes and spacers for the offset with the whole rim. I wish someone could help me out here. Like where to start.Any advice would greatly appreciated, or if any one lives in Maryland that could help that would be the best.
Thanks,
Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2006 13:54 #66145 by solomrus
Replied by solomrus on topic 4to6 inch over arm and 17x5.5 rim?
let's see what we can come up with...

ok, you are running a drum brake rear wheel, stock hub/brake setup with a 17x5.5" laced wheel.

you are running an aftermarket 4-6 over swingarm with this setup.

you have a 5/8th inch offset front sprocket.

the brake should be cake, just make a longer strut to fasten it to the arm, unless the arm has the pickup point moved rearward to compensate for this. if the rod from the pedal is too short, make an extension with the appropriate threaded rod and a butt-type threaded connector.

now, what you're gonna end up with for the sprockets is another story.

measure your swing arms at the rear. inside vs. inside. the stocker should be about 9 1/8th inch. the aftermarket arm will be close to that. give it an extra 1/2". to run the wheel centered, you will need two equal width spacers. one for each side. my kosman 2-4" over arm needs 1/4" ones. this will center the wheel in the swingarm. the inner diameter will be 20mm, and the outer about 25mm. i just made mine to match the factory spacer's outer diameter.

this will maintain the factory chainline, with the wheel centered in the swingarm. the problem that i see you are going to have is that monster wide wheel on there. which is gonna eclipse the rear sprocket. once you get the tire on there, it will be worse.

it's typically not suggested to offset the rear sprocket. i would, however, be up to making an offset rear sprocket adaptor for MY bike. it would be hub-centric to locate the sprocket, require 5/8" longer rear sprocket bolts, and would work in conjunction with your 5/8" front sprocket. i'd have to do some testing before i would feel comfortable with that on someone else's machine.

this is what i am talking about, can't see it, but this is basically your setup, with the rear offset spacer:

this will put the chain in close proximity with the frame. you might consider going to a 530 chain vs the 630. this will give you more clearance.

i do not recommend running the rear wheel in an offset configuration. this would cause some really strange issues with handling.

how have others handled this in the past?

--r

**edit to add photo**

Post edited by: solomrus, at: 2006/07/31 17:06

Post edited by: solomrus, at: 2006/07/31 17:06

198o kz1ooo Bravo Four

More
01 Aug 2006 07:02 #66297 by mikekz900
Replied by mikekz900 on topic 4to6 inch over arm and 17x5.5 rim?
Holy Cow Solomrus,

Thank you so much for replying and giving me some advice. I understand most of what you said the problems with the rear brake are...

The way the stock drum brake hub is offset in the wheel will not allow me to hook up the brake stay and brake pull rod. Now I can move the offset the other way but then I'm going to have a bigger problem with the chain clearance. I was looking around last night and found that www.americanclassix.com have an offset plate for the rear sprocket maybe I should try that? By the way I do have a 530 chain.

the other problem is that rear brake arm that comes off the foot peg (where the brake pull rod is) is rubbing my swingarm. Now I could..

Dent the swingarm to provide clearance
or get rear sets which I kind of want anyway
or bend the arm toward the outside of the bike by applying heat and try to provide clearance.

I will take some pics at lunch time to show you what I mean.

thanks so much for your help and would love to see more pics of your bike.

Mike

More
01 Aug 2006 08:43 #66323 by solomrus
that adaptor is EXACTLY what i am talking about. the 15mm number is kind of odd, as our standard offsets seem to be 3/8ths, 5/8ths, and larger, but with their sprocket it could work. lots of dough tho...

good, the 530 will help give some room back.

shoot me the pics on your drum setup, i tend to be faar more familiar with the disk brake rears, so i don't have a good picture of the drum setup in my mind.

that bike belongs to a friend of mine. i've got a ton of pics of my bike that i can link you to.

i'm going with 636rr parts on my street bike. front forks, swingarm, mono shock conversion, 05 wheels, full brakes, and maybe even the clip-ons. so, i'll be playing with offsets as well.

go with the rear sets. them are cool!

--r

198o kz1ooo Bravo Four

More
04 Aug 2006 11:22 #67129 by mikekz900
Sorry about not posting pics yet my camera has been acting funny. Will post them soon though.

What rear sets is everyone using or which kind work the best. Like good fit/function/cosmetics? Where is the best place to buy them and what is the average price?

More
04 Aug 2006 12:48 #67143 by solomrus
was wondering about it...

i am patient. 8^)

--r

198o kz1ooo Bravo Four

More
04 Aug 2006 14:14 #67157 by mikekz900
Do you think you can send me a link to the photos of your friends bike. Id like to see the other side of the swingarm and the rest of the bike?
Thanks,
Mike

More
04 Aug 2006 22:12 #67241 by solomrus
i have a couple more, but no really good shots of it.

he tends to take his pics with a camera phone.

here's the link to my gallery:

www.nebraska-subaru.com/interactive/gall...mName=album90&page=1

might be some other cool pics in there. 8^)

--r

198o kz1ooo Bravo Four

More
05 Aug 2006 00:17 #67248 by Lorcan
Replied by Lorcan on topic 4to6 inch over arm and 17x5.5 rim?
I welded some small plates to my frame and bolted on some ZX9R footrests and passenger pegs. Sort of looks factory that way, some aftermarket rearsets can be pretty tacky and low quality.

760cc - 8.69@162mph
810cc, 211mph www.750turbo.com
www.stormdragbike.com

More
05 Aug 2006 18:38 #67369 by solomrus
lorcan has it completely. that is the way i plan to do it. either by welding some adaptor plates to the frame, or by building my own adaptors to use the factory mount points.

i think that is what makes most of the aftermarket stuff work out kind of cheezy, as the factory kz/z1 peg mounts are so low, and so specific to these bikes.

--r

198o kz1ooo Bravo Four

• wireman
  • Visitor
05 Aug 2006 19:05 #67378 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic 4to6 inch over arm and 17x5.5 rim?
solomrus wrote:

lorcan has it completely. that is the way i plan to do it. either by welding some adaptor plates to the frame, or by building my own adaptors to use the factory mount points.

i think that is what makes most of the aftermarket stuff work out kind of cheezy, as the factory kz/z1 peg mounts are so low, and so specific to these bikes.

--r

my thoughts exactly!:whistle: :P

Post edited by: wireman, at: 2006/08/05 22:06
Attachments:

More
05 Aug 2006 21:37 #67399 by bob_z1
Replied by bob_z1 on topic 4to6 inch over arm and 17x5.5 rim?
I would think you will need to space the rear sprocket out to match the 5/8" front one. never tried running that wide of a rim on a stock hub. I have a 3.5 on a drum hub with a 150 tire on my red Z1. no clearance trouble, but am running a CalFab arm.

Where in MD are you? I am in PA near the PA/MD line.
later! Bob

`