4to6 inch over arm and 17x5.5 rim?

More
07 Aug 2006 09:44 #67755 by mikekz900
Replied by mikekz900 on topic 4to6 inch over arm and 17x5.5 rim?
Hey Bob-z1, I don't mind having the hub moved futher out for the chain clearance. I'm just scared that I'm then going to have a really hard time making the back brakes work cause the drum is going to be really far inside the rim and I'd have to make some kind of bracket or something to attach the brake stay and lever. Will post pics today. I do however appreciate all the feedback.
Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Aug 2006 15:27 #67836 by mikekz900
Alright here are some pics of the things I've been describing I will try to take some better ones tonight of the wheel on the bike to show some of the other problems!

Oh and Bob_z1 I live in Severna Park MD, it's nere Annapolis and 20 minutes from Baltimore. I can travel as well. :) So if you wanted to see what's going on that would be cool.

The bike has never been this dirty and there a few spots of rust like on the rear brake rod piece and some on the rear foot pegs (which are chrome) don't know why it's doing that unless not riding is the cause, but everyones help that may change soon. Thanks again,
Mike

this is a pic of where my brake arm is hitting the swingarm any suggestions?

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/09/19 08:29

More
07 Aug 2006 17:08 #67864 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic 4to6 inch over arm and 17x5.5 rim?
My brother did the same thing you are trying to do years ago. He had a spacer machined that was 5/8 thick and mounted it between the sprocket and the hub. Then just get some Grade 8 bolts that are 5/8" longer. I think he ground on the head some to make then fit (the stock heads are square I believe). He was mounting a 7" dragslick to his rim and it worked great. For the brake arm, he bent a steel bar to shape to fit where it needed to go. This is where fabrication comes in. Each bike will be a little different so you will have to build it to fit YOUR bike set-up. If you bend the bar, be sure not to have any 90 degree bends as they will be a weak place to keep bending. Keep an angle to the bends. All it has to do is reach a place on your swingarm to connect to. It doesn't have to be long. I have a brake arm on my bike that's only about 8"-9" long. It's made out of a double-threaded pipe-threaded at both ends so it can be adjusted in/out from either end to fit. Don't have any pictures for ya as this bike is gone and he did this years ago.

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
08 Aug 2006 07:49 #67992 by solomrus
Replied by solomrus on topic 4to6 inch over arm and 17x5.5 rim?
THAT'S IT! i'm taking back the link to my pics.

your bike is disgustingly clean man! fantastic. i am embarassed to show you mine.

i concur with racer on the spacer. machine shop could knock that out in an hour or two. call around, see who's open on a saturday. then, roll in there with a dozen krispy kreme's, and talk to them about doing it for you. you will be surprised what those doughnuts will get done.

the 5/8ths rear spacer will get your chain back in line. you can tweek that with the axle adjustors. you really want that perpendicular to the output shaft. expensive parts will be eaten up with that out of square.

i would fab something up for the brake anchor. two ways that you could go about it. one would be to fab a new anchor, and put a z-bend in it. this will clear the tire, and allow you to still stop.

i would do the same for the brake actuator rod. the z-bend will get it. you're just working around the tire itself, on both sides. the z-bends allow you to run the offsets on the actuators, and not have issues like racer describes with the 90 degree bends.

here's a lame ascii illustration of what i am talking about:

this:
\
\
\

rather than this: ----|
|
|

you'll have to do two of them, to get around the tire.

\ /
\
/

hope that helps some.

(edit: the formatting of my ascii drawings was wiped out by the posting engine, sorry. )

--r

Post edited by: solomrus, at: 2006/08/08 10:51

198o kz1ooo Bravo Four

More
08 Aug 2006 09:33 #68013 by mikekz900
Thank you for the compliments, I really appreciate them. I really try hard to keep it clean and I have allot of time in getting this thing to look this good. I was going to write in my post that I'm embarrassed how dirty is was cause truthfully it is right now. But the comments are great. Don't take your links down your bike looks great if you want some help to clean it up some I know all the tricks, would be more than willing to help!

I understand now how to do the brake stay now just still confused on how the brake actuator is going to work cause that piece has to constantly move and that thin brake rod is not going to last. So is there another bike that has the same spline as the kz but at more of an angle. Also that company american classic sells a rear offset that is 9/16 a little less than 5/8. It's 80 bucks but if that would work I could still get the chain straight by offseting the spacers I'm going to have to machined for the wheel to sit between the swingarm to put the wheel as close to the center as possible, although I think it will be just a little off to one side maybe not noticeable though. We are definitely getting closer.

Thanks,
Mike

More
08 Aug 2006 09:38 #68014 by mikekz900
Oh and what about tarozzi rear sets has anyone used them

And there use to be a yellow Z1 or Kz on here that had an muray x pipe (which I'm still trying to find/ extended swingarm/ dragbars (which I'm still trying to figure out how to do) and very very clean does anyone know where to find pics or how to find a thread that the pics use to be on? The pics are before and after pics like the bike was black and painted yellow, and the pics had his kid on the bike. The reason for asking I think he had to go through the same things I'm going through!

Thanks again,
Mike

More
08 Aug 2006 12:30 #68060 by mikekz900
here are a couple more pics of the bike with the wheel in place and just a couple of how good the bike is going to look. Now the tire is not permantly mounted it's just on there. I was trying different sizes and no one could get me a tube for it so I found one on line and am going to mount the real tire with the tube just scared that the local shops are going to scratch the rim if they are not careful. Unless someone knows how to do it by hand and share that information with me.

Oh and I will eventually chrome the swingarm, but thought the sliver powercoat would look good for now but man was I wrong looks like poop....

Post edited by: mikekz900, at: 2006/08/08 15:34

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/09/19 08:30

More
08 Aug 2006 18:36 #68130 by 79MKII
Replied by 79MKII on topic 4to6 inch over arm and 17x5.5 rim?
Awesome looking bike!! I'm in the middle of a very similiar conversion right now (6.0x17 rear wheel). I used a rear sprocket spacer from Klasmo in Germany, but I think they sell them at American Classix too. Here's a link
www.americanclassix.com/kawa_improvements.html

Would be easy to make if you have the machines to do it. Keep us posted with plenty of pics!!

The Kaw List:
Current: 79 KZ1000 A3 MKII, 78 KZ1000 A2, 78 KZ1000 Z1-R, 78 KZ650 SR, 80 KE175
Former: 03 KLX400SR, 99 ZRX1000, 82 KZ750 LTD, 80 KZ1000 A4 MKII, 80 KZ1000 LTD, 78 KZ1000 A2, 74 H-2 750 Triple, 78 KL250

• wireman
  • Visitor
08 Aug 2006 19:26 #68143 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic 4to6 inch over arm and 17x5.5 rim?
mikekz900 wrote:

here are a couple more pics of the bike with the wheel in place and just a couple of how good the bike is going to look. Now the tire is not permantly mounted it's just on there. I was trying different sizes and no one could get me a tube for it so I found one on line and am going to mount the real tire with the tube just scared that the local shops are going to scratch the rim if they are not careful. Unless someone knows how to do it by hand and share that information with me.

Oh and I will eventually chrome the swingarm, but thought the sliver powercoat would look good for now but man was I wrong looks like poop....

<br><br>Post edited by: mikekz900, at: 2006/08/08 15:34

wow,i like that view from the rear!:evil:

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/09/19 08:31

More
09 Aug 2006 13:08 #68328 by solomrus
muy bien, senor! me gusto mucho!

i'll take that pmfr clutch plate off your hands if you aren't going to be using it. 8^) j/k

just a thought, but is your brake pedal pushed all the way in where it should be? i was trying to make sense of your brake situation from some of those shots, but things didn't look quite right.

--r

198o kz1ooo Bravo Four

More
09 Aug 2006 15:12 #68347 by mikekz900
I had plans on using the clutch plate but really don't have a use for it. Then I thought about getting a bearing support/ carrier, but if I can get the stock cover to work I'm just going to stay with that. Although we can discuss what to do with the clutch plate. You have anything that I might want from looking at my bike. Maybe something that could be an improvement!

No the brake pedal is not all the way on there just sitting there from when I was messing around with it last night.

I was thinking today that I could just send the wheel back to east coast wheels and just let them offset the hub a little further for the chain since I'm already going to have to come up with some kind of brake contraption anyway. I'm just trying to think if that's the right thing to do I don't want the hub to be too off center in the wheel.

What about rear sets? Anyone know if the tarozzi are good or not will order them tomorrow if they work well!

Mike

More
10 Aug 2006 08:58 #68494 by solomrus
mike, pm'd you about the clutch plate...

i wouldn't offset the wheel. hell, it'll cost you the 80 bux shipping just to get it to the east coast guys to offset it.

man, i wish i had the time to make that spacer for you. i really feel that would be the best bet for this solution.

i was thinking about that brake too... since the brake actuator rod functions in extension, then the bends around the tire aren't such an issue. make a longer rod with the bends in it, and put it together. it should work out great.

i don't have any personal experience with those rear-sets. i've seen some, but never used/installed a set. i'd say that if you've got the money to try them out, go for it. you can always sell them if you don't like them.

--r

198o kz1ooo Bravo Four