chewed up emblem screws

More
11 Mar 2022 00:08 #863573 by Ian_B
Replied by Ian_B on topic chewed up emblem screws
There may be a better way.
Get some of this stuff:  www.amazon.com/Aircraft-Screw-fastener-R...EJY5W#productDetails

I use a similar one, called Regrip, but I'm not sure if it's still available. I have a couple of small bottles, they last for decades.

You put a small drop on the screw or screwdriver, insert the screwdriver and just unscrew the screw. Yes, it sounds like snake oil. No, it can't possibly work. I didn't believe it either until someone demonstrated it. It felt like the screwdriver had been TIG welded to the screw - you might end up shearing the screw head off and leave the screw body in the hole, but driving the head won't be the problem. So a pre-soak with penetrating oil is certainly a good idea.

When done, the screw and driver just separate; it's not a glue.
This stuff is great for engine casing crosshead screws etc. Really handy to keep in your toolbox.

There are others:  www.amazon.co.uk/Liqui-Moly-3811-Screw-G...170&psc=1&th=1&psc=1
Ian
The following user(s) said Thank You: ThatGPzGuy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Mar 2022 09:54 #863591 by KZmarcel
Replied by KZmarcel on topic chewed up emblem screws
All right, thanks everybody for all the good advice.
I ended up trying the dremel slot & flat screwdriver thing to no avail, then the left-handed (wacky tabacky) drill bit... which resulted in no removal but just drilling out the old screws.
No sure if there are any threads left, I'll try and chase them or re-tap them, or worse case re-attach the emblems with tape or hot glue...

Main thing now is touching up the black around the gold letters...

WA state, USA
1981 KZ1000 Ltd project for me
kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/617085-kz1000-full-spa#861637
1982 KZ440 Ltd project for my wife
1991 Yamaha 1200 VMax
2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
1971 Buick Riviera boat-tail
2004 Jaguar XJR
1999 Dodge Ram 5.7L Magnum
1977 John Deere 400
  • Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
    11 Mar 2022 17:52 #863608 by Nessism
    Replied by Nessism on topic chewed up emblem screws
    What kind of dremel disc did you use?  Did you get a really thin one so the slot would be thin?

LH drill bits work, but it requires VERY precise work to remove a small screw like those badge screws.  Unless you have experience with such matters, it can be a very challenging task.  
    The following user(s) said Thank You: KZmarcel

More
    11 Mar 2022 18:36 #863609 by KZmarcel

What kind of dremel disc did you use?  Did you get a really thin one so the slot would be thin?
    LH drill bits work, but it requires VERY precise work to remove a small screw like those badge screws.  Unless you have experience with such matters, it can be a very challenging task.  
    hehe, I don't think my dremel disc was thin enough...
    I drilled in increasing sizes, somehow never really caught the remains of the screw to pull it out so I probably did a bit too much butchering. Anyway, I'll figure out how to reattach the emblems once the black contours are redone. 

WA state, USA
    1991 Yamaha 1200 VMax
    2004 Jaguar XJR
    1977 John Deere 400

More
    12 Mar 2022 13:51 #863663 by 750 R1
    Replied by 750 R1 on topic chewed up emblem screws
    Its too late now but I really suggest getting a JIS screwdriver set, I would have used penetrant and got that out without all the fuss, in your original pictures you can see enough "slot" left for a JIS to work, they don't have the smaller end that a normal Phillips head has, and therefore they use the whole slot to get out screws, you'd be amazed at what I've been able to get out using them.  Phillips head drivers are designed to "cam out", so screws can't be over tightened, JIS {Japanese industry standard" are designed to lock into the screw, so they can be tightened to spec, and to remove stubborn screws on all  Japanese machinery, I have completely stopped using phillips head screwdrivers....
    The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed, ThatGPzGuy, KZmarcel

More
    12 Mar 2022 19:31 #863678 by blipco
    Replied by blipco on topic chewed up emblem screws
    +1000 on the JIS screwdrivers, they bite like magic. I bought a Vessel JIS screwdriver set with three sizes. With the two larger sizes, they are also designed as impact drivers. With each tap of the hammer they will reverse 5 degrees. 

"Swim against the current, even a dead fish can go with the flow"-somebody (I forget Who)

More
    12 Mar 2022 20:15 #863685 by 750 R1
    Replied by 750 R1 on topic chewed up emblem screws

+1000 on the JIS screwdrivers, they bite like magic. I bought a Vessel JIS screwdriver set with three sizes. With the two larger sizes, they are also designed as impact drivers. With each tap of the hammer they will reverse 5 degrees. 
    Yes, I have the Vessel drivers too, a set of six, 3 of them are impact drivers...
    The following user(s) said Thank You: blipco

More
    13 Mar 2022 06:32 #863691 by blipco
    Replied by blipco on topic chewed up emblem screws
    I thought my three covered all sizes. I'll gladly buy more if need be.

"Swim against the current, even a dead fish can go with the flow"-somebody (I forget Who)

More
    13 Mar 2022 13:26 #863747 by KZmarcel

Its too late now but I really suggest getting a JIS screwdriver set, I would have used penetrant and got that out without all the fuss, in your original pictures you can see enough "slot" left for a JIS to work, they don't have the smaller end that a normal Phillips head has, and therefore they use the whole slot to get out screws, you'd be amazed at what I've been able to get out using them.  Phillips head drivers are designed to "cam out", so screws can't be over tightened, JIS {Japanese industry standard" are designed to lock into the screw, so they can be tightened to spec, and to remove stubborn screws on all  Japanese machinery, I have completely stopped using phillips head screwdrivers....
    I did buy a JIS set a few months back (been watching Allen Millyard's videos too much I guess, that's probably why I started buying KZs in the first place) but that did not work. Oh well...

WA state, USA
    1991 Yamaha 1200 VMax
    2004 Jaguar XJR
    1977 John Deere 400