kz gsx-r swap

More
17 Mar 2010 12:53 #354054 by thane_420
Replied by thane_420 on topic kz gsx-r swap
mark1122 wrote:

Nice work .B)
I have a z1 tank with the same filler mount. trouble is , it sits too far forward and hits my zx9 forks, and when i move it back it hits the seat pan. i will work it out somehow though.
I take it that your is a KZ tank?

i have the stock 76 kz900LTD tank and from what i can tell it is the same as my z1 tank...the only difference is my z1 tank has a different petcock(non vacuum) and my LTD tank is a vacuum petcock

73 kz900 1075,mre clutch,race cut tranny,cams,airshift,34 flatslides, custom rear wheel
76 kz900LTD gsx-r suspension swap, mikuni 29mm smoothbores, stock engine
72 suzuki gt750 2-stroke triple

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Mar 2010 12:58 #354055 by thane_420
Bad Dad wrote:
[quote
Hey thane... love the bike!!! The mod to the seat is really original... hope you don't mind if I try to copy you! :)

Tone[/quote]

oh yea before i forget NO COPYING!!!:P :laugh:

73 kz900 1075,mre clutch,race cut tranny,cams,airshift,34 flatslides, custom rear wheel

More
17 Mar 2010 13:15 #354059 by thane_420
I have been thinking and thinking on paint... i think i am going to have it flat black and then mask off the tank and tail same as the factory did with z1 and use mask it letters for "kawasaki" and spray gloss...so when its finished it will be flat black with gloss black z1 stlye "decal" and since i mask kawi out the letters will remain flat... that should be interesting....

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
17 Mar 2010 18:15 - 18 Mar 2010 05:22 #354127 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic kz gsx-r swap
thane_420 wrote:

mark1122 wrote:

Nice work .B)
I have a z1 tank with the same filler mount. trouble is , it sits too far forward and hits my zx9 forks, and when i move it back it hits the seat pan. i will work it out somehow though.
I take it that your is a KZ tank?

i have the stock 76 kz900LTD tank and from what i can tell it is the same as my z1 tank...the only difference is my z1 tank has a different petcock(non vacuum) and my LTD tank is a vacuum petcock

On the KZ, and ltd tanks the bottom seam is very visible, on the z1 the seam is way underneath.
I cant get a good side view of your tank, but it looks more like a kz,z1 than ltd?
The Ltd has more of a smaller stubbyer teardrop shape. the kz and z1 are very similar in shape, but the z1 is smaller.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)
Last edit: 18 Mar 2010 05:22 by mark1122.

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
17 Mar 2010 18:23 #354129 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic kz gsx-r swap
thane_420 wrote:

I have been thinking and thinking on paint... i think i am going to have it flat black and then mask off the tank and tail same as the factory did with z1 and use mask it letters for "kawasaki" and spray gloss...so when its finished it will be flat black with gloss black z1 stlye "decal" and since i mask kawi out the letters will remain flat... that should be interesting....

Black on black, I like it! I thought your bike looked killer with the flat black before. Just geat that bodywork straight and put on a nice, even flat black. Thumbsup!

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
17 Mar 2010 18:31 - 17 Mar 2010 18:34 #354131 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic kz gsx-r swap
they do not out handle a well set up traditional hung kz ,when you change all the rakes and trails and put wider ,lower profile tires on em....unless somehow it's a placebo effect....the hybrid bikes i see built on this side are not any better handling...while they may be pleasing to some folks eyes ,to call them better handling is absolute B.S

larrycavan wrote:

thane_420 wrote:

timebomb33 wrote:

looks good brother nice job it looks like a few of us are doing simalar stuf right now. how does it ride and handle with the mono shock set-up

i was very amazed on how well this bike handled. you can get down in the turns hard now..on my other bike i dont trust it in the turns....feels like the front end wants to slip out..could be the small front tire. i used '93 gsx-r 750 front clip and gsx-r 1100 rear swing arm, dont know what year 88-93??

X2 on that. They feel nothing like an old Z after the conversion.

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife
Last edit: 17 Mar 2010 18:34 by trianglelaguna.

• testarossa
  • User
More
17 Mar 2010 18:42 #354134 by testarossa
It would be cool to see if someone could quantify the before and after effects of adding the newer suspension. Lets see if Valentino would take some laps on a KZ with period correct suspension mods vs the GSXR setup. Laptimes. I know that you would watch Tri. I will say that there are more opportunities to F-up your handling by doing this. Heck if we were MC engineers, then we wouldn't be on here discussing the merits of which swingarm is the best swap.

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

More
17 Mar 2010 18:50 #354137 by Darkangel
Replied by Darkangel on topic kz gsx-r swap
OK THAT IS FREAK'N SEXY! HEY TWO ?'S FOR YOU THOUGH.

WHERE DID YOU GET THE PIPES?
AND HOW DID YOU MAKE THE SEAT, AND TAIL FOR EITHER OF THE BIKES...

• trianglelaguna
  • User
More
17 Mar 2010 18:56 #354138 by trianglelaguna
i am also going to have "my" swingarm braced and that "will" require me delving into possible frame gussets ,as the new stiffness"will' effect the bikes current smooth flow...i'm not saying that a upside down cartridge fork is not stiffer and much more compliant,i am saying that it is too short to offset the upgrades flaws....

there is very little you could do to a well valved ,sprung,braced,and tire shod kz front end...to improve upon the bikes set in and tracking of the frames rakes.....other than start fresh with a harris or egli or bimota type perimeter frame...simply putting a gsxr front end on it actualy is gonna lmake it worse.imo...i started a thread in chit chat to discuss this topic...sorry to hi jck...also i am a fan of some of the builds....i just wanna be on the side that screams"the king has no clothes"

peace...also..valatino would not be able to ride one of these old beasts...they don'y pay him enough.... as stock 90's 600 will always be able to blow a kz away on a good caynon..,all things being equal.....

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• trianglelaguna
  • User
More
17 Mar 2010 18:57 #354139 by trianglelaguna
i rest my case...:lol:

Darkangel wrote:

OK THAT IS FREAK'N SEXY! HEY TWO ?'S FOR YOU THOUGH.

WHERE DID YOU GET THE PIPES?
AND HOW DID YOU MAKE THE SEAT, AND TAIL FOR EITHER OF THE BIKES...

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• testarossa
  • User
More
17 Mar 2010 19:24 #354143 by testarossa
Ok no Valantino, then give me Eddie Lawson.;) I just want someone who is qualified to assess the handling of a motorcycle. I'm not a fan of bench racing. Judging from what I see on the road every weekend, I would say that the average rider is as likely to give a proper assessment of a triple-bypass surgery as they are an evaluation of MC suspension.

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

More
17 Mar 2010 20:02 #354152 by irishwill
Replied by irishwill on topic kz gsx-r swap
trianglelaguna wrote:

i am also going to have "my" swingarm braced and that "will" require me delving into possible frame gussets ,as the new stiffness"will' effect the bikes current smooth flow...i'm not saying that a upside down cartridge fork is not stiffer and much more compliant,i am saying that it is too short to offset the upgrades flaws....

there is very little you could do to a well valved ,sprung,braced,and tire shod kz front end...to improve upon the bikes set in and tracking of the frames rakes.....other than start fresh with a harris or egli or bimota type perimeter frame...simply putting a gsxr front end on it actualy is gonna lmake it worse.imo...i started a thread in chit chat to discuss this topic...sorry to hi jck...also i am a fan of some of the builds....i just wanna be on the side that screams"the king has no clothes"

peace...also..valatino would not be able to ride one of these old beasts...they don'y pay him enough.... as stock 90's 600 will always be able to blow a kz away on a good caynon..,all things being equal.....

well I have no "evidence to prove that you are wrong...just the seat of my pants....but I will bet you pink slips that my '75 900 with a gsxr 1000 front end will out brake your stock set up no matter what you've done to it.
and I gues if you spent the money on a set of ohlin piggy back shocks and spent some time setting things up...new springs ect
as well as changed out the swingarm bushings and the steering head bearings....it might ....possibly ....maybe.....still dont think so but who knows...be as good
just my .02

:-)