LED taillight (kz400)

More
01 Jul 2024 07:57 #901591 by Wookie58
Replied by Wookie58 on topic LED taillight (kz400)
If you have battery voltage on the red wire from the ignition switch the running light should work as normal
The following user(s) said Thank You: ThatYeti

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jul 2024 16:21 #901630 by ThatYeti
Replied by ThatYeti on topic LED taillight (kz400)
Ok which red wire do you mean? Found the switch, unplugged it and the flashing went away but I'm not getting the running light to light up. Pic of that connection with the two ends taped off.

'76 KZ400
  • Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
    01 Jul 2024 16:26 #901631 by ThatYeti
    Thinking you may have meant the red wire to the tail lamp and this is what I got with the ignition on:

'76 KZ400

More
    01 Jul 2024 23:38 #901643 by Wookie58
    The red wire from the bike, the one you are testing is for the stop light

More
    02 Jul 2024 04:49 #901645 by ThatYeti
    Getting goose eggs on the meter with it on or off:

'76 KZ400

More
    02 Jul 2024 06:36 #901650 by Wookie58
  • The following user(s) said Thank You: ThatYeti

More
    02 Jul 2024 06:56 #901652 by ThatYeti
    Thanks, figured the body ground would suffice but will try again later with it on the battery. But are you saying I basically need to trace that wire back to the ignition to see where it may have a fault, checking each connection point along the way? Seems it's wrapped in a sheath the whole way from the photos and my recollection, so not sure how i'd go about that.

'76 KZ400

More
    02 Jul 2024 06:59 #901654 by Wookie58

Thanks, figured the body ground would suffice but will try again later with it on the battery. But are you saying I basically need to trace that wire back to the ignition to see where it may have a fault, checking each connection point along the way? Seems it's wrapped in a sheath the whole way from the photos and my recollection, so not sure how i'd go about that.
    The connection points shown won't be wrapped, I would expect the first connector to be under the seat or behind a side panel

More
    06 Jul 2024 16:05 #901838 by ThatYeti
    Ok, so I pondered this for a few days after taking it all apart about how to squeeze the new wiring into the same space given all the extra connectors and diode section. Cut the diode wires a bit shorter and added bullet connectors to everything but the ground. Got it all connected and wrapped as best I could. One of the signal grounds from earlier decided it was done so I had to rework that and may need to do it again later as I realized after the fact I had space for a ring connector but I'm not sure those little wires can handle much more fiddling with so fingers crossed it all stays in place a while cause for now it all works 100%...now just have to figure out the running light issue in the tail lamp.

Didn't think to get pics til I was almost done but this is before I buttoned it all back up:

'76 KZ400
  • The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58