LED taillight (kz400)

• Wookie58
  • Away
More
30 Jun 2024 13:17 #901555 by Wookie58
Replied by Wookie58 on topic LED taillight (kz400)

Believe you're right that it's a kz400D, as it's got the disc brake and electric start. Bike definitely wasn't 100% original when I got it but pretty close so maybe that was already swapped? Is that something I need to replace to fix this problem?
No, as long as there is "a switch" that activates the brake light then it doesn't matter if it is hydraulic on the splitter or manual on the lever. Sounds like the hydraulic is original.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jun 2024 13:21 #901556 by ThatYeti
Replied by ThatYeti on topic LED taillight (kz400)
Also confirmed the brake light still comes on, despite the blinkers being borked at the moment and the brake light failure indicator flashing.

'76 KZ400

More
30 Jun 2024 13:31 #901557 by ThatYeti

That makes sense, but looking at the diode kit, it's got one straight wire and one with some kind of resistor in the middle. Does each signal light need one? Also I assume it's just the wire with resistor in it that needs to be spliced in but not sure based on their diagram. wrote:

Believe you're right that it's a kz400D, as it's got the disc brake and electric start. Bike definitely wasn't 100% original when I got it but pretty close so maybe that was already swapped? Is that something I need to replace to fix this problem?
No, as long as there is "a switch" that activates the brake light then it doesn't matter if it is hydraulic on the splitter or manual on the lever. Sounds like the hydraulic is original.

'76 KZ400

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
30 Jun 2024 14:51 - 30 Jun 2024 15:00 #901562 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic LED taillight (kz400)
The switch on the front MC break levler (normaly clutch leveler) could be for the e-starter/kickstand/in gear safety circuit over ride and not to switch on/off the rear break light. It´s very un-common not to to use a in-line hydro switch, i guess.
Last edit: 30 Jun 2024 15:00 by Scirocco.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ThatYeti

More
30 Jun 2024 18:27 #901567 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic LED taillight (kz400)

Nope. As long as the brakes work and the pressure switch on the splitter is working, just ignore the wires from the switch on the master cylinder.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

• Wookie58
  • Away
More
01 Jul 2024 00:46 #901574 by Wookie58

That makes sense, but looking at the diode kit, it's got one straight wire and one with some kind of resistor in the middle. Does each signal light need one? Also I assume it's just the wire with resistor in it that needs to be spliced in but not sure based on their diagram. wrote: That makes sense, but looking at the diode kit, it's got one straight wire and one with some kind of resistor in the middle. Does each signal light need one? Also I assume it's just the wire with resistor in it that needs to be spliced in but not sure based on their diagram.

These are "diodes" (electrical one way valves) not "resistors" and you need to follow the wiring diagram on the website

More
01 Jul 2024 03:12 - 01 Jul 2024 04:14 #901578 by ThatYeti

That makes sense, but looking at the diode kit, it's got one straight wire and one with some kind of resistor in the middle. Does each signal light need one? Also I assume it's just the wire with resistor in it that needs to be spliced in but not sure based on their diagram. wrote: That makes sense, but looking at the diode kit, it's got one straight wire and one with some kind of resistor in the middle. Does each signal light need one? Also I assume it's just the wire with resistor in it that needs to be spliced in but not sure based on their diagram.

These are "diodes" (electrical one way valves) not "resistors" and you need to follow the wiring diagram on the website

Thanks, but the diagram doesn't make any sense to me. Do I need one of the wires with the diodes for each signal light? Where do the two wires even go?  Currently have the two wires off the LEDs connected to the power that was going to the old bulb and a ground. But don't really understand what I'd do with these things.

'76 KZ400
Last edit: 01 Jul 2024 04:14 by ThatYeti.

More
01 Jul 2024 04:53 #901580 by ThatYeti
Not sure why I didn't just search on how to install first, but found a video on it with a better diagram.

Is this correct?

'76 KZ400
  • Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Wookie58
    • Away
    More
    01 Jul 2024 06:54 #901585 by Wookie58
  • Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
    01 Jul 2024 06:58 #901586 by ThatYeti
    Thank you, ordered a diode kit from amazon, only because the one from Superbright was going to take a full week to get here but seems near identical so fingers crossed it works, also picked up a better crimper...now that I'm nearly done crimping on this project but at least I'll have it for next time.

While I'm waiting on that what is it I need to do to sort out the lack of 'running lights' in the tail lamp? Do I need to find the switch wherever it's hiding and possibly replace it? Do I need another of these diode kits for it?

'76 KZ400

• Wookie58
    • Away
    More
    01 Jul 2024 07:02 #901587 by Wookie58

Thank you, ordered a diode kit from amazon, only because the one from Superbright was going to take a full week to get here but seems near identical so fingers crossed it works, also picked up a better crimper...now that I'm nearly done crimping on this project but at least I'll have it for next time.

While I'm waiting on that what is it I need to do to sort out the lack of 'running lights' in the tail lamp? Do I need to find the switch wherever it's hiding and possibly replace it? Do I need another of these diode kits for it?
    As previously stated - find the brake light failure switch, unplug it and forget about it
    Measure the voltage on the disconnected red wire with the ignition on and post a picture of your meter and connection points

More
    01 Jul 2024 07:30 #901589 by ThatYeti

As previously stated - find the brake light failure switch, unplug it and forget about it
    Measure the voltage on the disconnected red wire with the ignition on and post a picture of your meter and connection points
    Thanks and will that just stop the dash light from flashing? Or will it allow the running light to work too?

'76 KZ400