Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZ440 LTD Carburettor Tear-down 13 Oct 2023 11:20 #890429

• Jimbo68
  • Jimbo68's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
Thanks.

There is a bend on your choke link, and in the manual, that I don’t think is in mine. I’m reluctant to bend it unless I’m certain it’s the right thing to do. What are your thoughts about the performance of the RHS carb if, when the choke is on, there is a gap betwixt valve and internal chamber? i.e., I leave it as is?

1981 Kawasaki KZ440-A2
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ440 LTD Carburettor Tear-down 13 Oct 2023 12:32 #890433

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2678
What I'd do is first separate the carbs, leaving the choke linkages where they are.  Then, working on the side with the choke lever, actuate the linkage, making whatever adjustments are needed, to get the choke flaps to open and close properly.  You might want to loosen the butterfly screws slightly for this part, and only tighten them after you have the butterfly properly centered in the carb throat.  Once you get the choke lever side working well, move to the other side and again, play with the choke flap alignment before snugging the screws back down.

It's possible that the choke flap shafts are bent.  So if you can't get the mechanism to work smoothly, I'd remove it and roll those rods on a flat surface, to assure they are not bent.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jimbo68

Last edit: by Nessism.

KZ440 LTD Carburettor Tear-down 14 Oct 2023 02:33 #890464

• Jimbo68
  • User
Is it possible to start up the bike with the carbs in place a using an auxiliary fuel tank, without the main tank in place? I’m wondering whether it can be done without the vacuum hose being connected to anything. Is that possible?

I’d rather check the carbs are working ok before the tank is reinstalled. 
1981 Kawasaki KZ440-A2

KZ440 LTD Carburettor Tear-down 14 Oct 2023 02:40 #890465

• Jimbo68
  • User
A bit gutted to find a split in the top side of the  plastic diaphragm holder on the vacuum piston. The bottom side is fine and the integrity of the diaphragm appears ok. 

Any suggestions? A replacement piston is £300. I can’t afford that. So it’s make do, or mend. 

I was thinking of a couple of G clamps and glue, but that risks cracking the holder further. Or some silicon sealant, simply to fill any possible breaches in the air-tightness. 

1981 Kawasaki KZ440-A2
Attachments:

Last edit: by Jimbo68.

KZ440 LTD Carburettor Tear-down 14 Oct 2023 08:09 #890474

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2067

Is it possible to start up the bike with the carbs in place a using an auxiliary fuel tank, without the main tank in place? I’m wondering whether it can be done without the vacuum hose being connected to anything. Is that possible?

I’d rather check the carbs are working ok before the tank is reinstalled. 
Yes. That is the usual way to do the final adjustments. The vacuum line must be plugged, else that carburetor will have a wickedly lean mixture. I use an old, plastic lawnmower fuel tank. I have an appropriately bent wire shirt hanger through the two mounts, designed so I can hang it on one of the hand grips. I also installed an inexpensive on-off valve in the new fuel line. It was very cheap and works like a charm.

P.S. A golf tee, small bolt, or even a pencil can be used to plug the vacuum line. I reckon vice grips will do the job as well.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Last edit: by TexasKZ.

KZ440 LTD Carburettor Tear-down 14 Oct 2023 11:17 #890480

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
All these photos of your carbs show them to be so dirty, it's hard to understand what you have.

This slide seems to be a match, and isn't overly expensive...
I may have a spare too, but shipping is expensive...

https  ://www.ebay.com/itm/    145305084676  (remove extra spaces)

Last edit: by Nessism.

KZ440 LTD Carburettor Tear-down 16 Oct 2023 13:52 #890551

• Jimbo68
  • User
Thanks Nessim. 

That is as clean as I could get them with carb cleaner and a brass toothbrush. I guess they have been neglected for some time. 

Cheers for the link to the reproduction piston. It’s a pity there isn’t more detailed photos but the description is certain about the fit. 
1981 Kawasaki KZ440-A2

KZ440 LTD Carburettor Tear-down 16 Oct 2023 17:00 #890557

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member

Thanks Nessim. 

That is as clean as I could get them with carb cleaner and a brass toothbrush. I guess they have been neglected for some time. 

Cheers for the link to the reproduction piston. It’s a pity there isn’t more detailed photos but the description is certain about the fit. 
You photo shows that the pilot screws weren't removed.  Or did you do so and put them back already?  

Honestly, the best thing is to remove all the soft parts, ungang the parts, then soak the bodies in carb dip solvent.  That will clean the internal passages.

KZ440 LTD Carburettor Tear-down 17 Oct 2023 04:06 #890562

• Jimbo68
  • User
Thanks Nessim. 

yes, I have removed everything and cleaned all metal parts with carb cleaner, and replaced all o rings. Now reassembled. 

I didn’t remove the piston diaphragms to wash them. Reluctance due to the split in one of the plastic diaphragm holders (see earlier picture). I thought I might make that worse. The pistons themselves were very clean and slide well. 

I'm almost ready to reinstall them on the bike and test with a remote fuel tank. Just waiting for new spring bands for the air cleaner ducts. 
1981 Kawasaki KZ440-A2

KZ440 LTD Carburettor Tear-down 20 Nov 2023 06:22 #891861

• Jimbo68
  • User
Hi folks. 
Carb rebuild is complete and appears to be a success so thank you everyone that contributed here. Much appreciated. 

Salut!
1981 Kawasaki KZ440-A2