Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Need help getting carbs for 1985 Kawasaki ZN700 30 Jul 2022 21:53 #871362

• borop18
  • borop18's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi everyone!

I recently purchased a 1985 Kawasaki ZN700 in pretty rough shape and I am trying to restore it now. I have the Keihin CV34 carbs and they are in really bad shape, the piston on the 4th carb is completely corroded and stuck inside and I just broke one of the pieces holding the float on the 1st carb, trying to get the pin out, so it looks like I only have 2 carbs to work with.

What's the best approach here, are there some alternative carbs I can put on this bike or do I just replace these two carbs?
I need some help getting new carbs and carb parts for this bike, I am having trouble finding parts, not many on ebay and I couldn't find any website selling parts for these carbs.
Please help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Need help getting carbs for 1985 Kawasaki ZN700 31 Jul 2022 12:35 #871396

• TexasKZ
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2053
You can order the parts from your local Kawasaki dealer.
You can also order them from online dealers like Partzilla or Ron Ayers.
www.partzilla.com/catalog/kawasaki/motor...-c4/carburetor-parts

www.ronayers.com/oemparts/l/kaw/5fff61df...shaft-zn700-a2-parts

Stuck slides can usually be freed with some patience, but that broken float post can be very difficult to repair. It should not be difficult to find another set of carbs, but they will likely need to be carefully cleaned and have all of the soft pars replaced.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: borop18

Need help getting carbs for 1985 Kawasaki ZN700 31 Jul 2022 14:41 #871399

• Elfarm98648
  • User
  • Thank you received: 59
I have rebuilt my CV34s too many times to count, I can also say that individual carb bodies can be replaced, so if the float post is snapped off on one carburetor, that individual body can be swapped with a used on off eBay. They are typically about $50 per carb body but you must also make sure that you can get all of the screws out of the choke flap rods and throttle flap rods. If you can do that then it is worth replacing the body with a known good one. 

Need help getting carbs for 1985 Kawasaki ZN700 31 Jul 2022 14:45 #871400

• borop18
  • User

Stuck slides can usually be freed with some patience
How would you do that? Here is a picture of the slide, it's completely corroded in place, not moving at all. I sprayed it with carb cleaner, WD40 and pb blaster penetrating oil, but nothing helps.

Attachments:

Last edit: by borop18.

Need help getting carbs for 1985 Kawasaki ZN700 31 Jul 2022 14:49 #871401

• borop18
  • User

I have rebuilt my CV34s too many times to count, I can also say that individual carb bodies can be replaced, so if the float post is snapped off on one carburetor, that individual body can be swapped with a used on off eBay. They are typically about $50 per carb body but you must also make sure that you can get all of the screws out of the choke flap rods and throttle flap rods. If you can do that then it is worth replacing the body with a known good one. 
I see some carb bodies sold on ebay, but they are marked by the location, like #1 outer left, etc. Is there really a difference or I can use them interchangeably?
I found a way to fix the broken float post, but that corroded float piston is giving me headaches.

Need help getting carbs for 1985 Kawasaki ZN700 31 Jul 2022 15:16 #871404

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1897
Don´t limit your search filter. You can use CV34 carbs from earlier/later 650/750 bikes.

Need help getting carbs for 1985 Kawasaki ZN700 31 Jul 2022 16:36 #871410

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2673

Don´t limit your search filter. You can use CV34 carbs from earlier/later 650/750 bikes.

The ZN700 carbs are different from the earlier version of the CV34's so the individual carb bodies won't interchange, but if you can find a complete set, they will interchange.
I've rebuilt at least half a dozen sets of CV34's, and they are a little tricky to work with, but not overly difficult.  That slide on your carb is junk at this point.  
BTW, to remove stuck slides, you need to heat the carb body with a heat gun to soften the varnish. Oh, and you are wasting your time trying to rebuild a set of carbs that are still ganged together.  They must come apart fully to get at all the various parts.

Last edit: by Nessism.

Need help getting carbs for 1985 Kawasaki ZN700 31 Jul 2022 20:17 #871426

• Irish Yobbo
  • User
  • Thank you received: 93
You only have one picture so I can't say for sure, but if the other three carbs are anywhere close to that condition, I think it would be far easier and cheaper to buy another set and start from there. These carbs may be scrap.

You won't really know until you've stripped them down completely, you might get two replacement carbs and then snap a pilot jet or find another part completely siezed. Don't make any plans until you've taken them all apart as far as you want.

It certainly won't hurt to strip them down and soak them to see what you can get out of them. But I'd expect to be looking for a better set to restore. Buying two more carb bodies + parts for them will likely cost more than a 2nd hand set in decent condition.
1981 KZ750 LTD

Need help getting carbs for 1985 Kawasaki ZN700 31 Jul 2022 20:55 #871427

• borop18
  • User
The other 3 carbs are in a decent condition, but as I mentioned before, I accidentally broke the float post on the #1 carb (working on a fix for that now) and the #2 float pin is stuck, wasn't able to remove it yet.
I am not ordering any parts until I strip these carbs down completely and see what's in good shape and what I need.
Maybe buying another set is a better idea, but I am having trouble finding one.

Need help getting carbs for 1985 Kawasaki ZN700 31 Jul 2022 20:58 #871428

• borop18
  • User

BTW, to remove stuck slides, you need to heat the carb body with a heat gun to soften the varnish.

Thanks for the suggestion, will try that next.

Oh, and you are wasting your time trying to rebuild a set of carbs that are still ganged together.  They must come apart fully to get at all the various parts.

Why do I need to completely split them? My plan was to soak the carbs ganged together, clean the jets, floats and reassemble everything. Am I missing something?

Need help getting carbs for 1985 Kawasaki ZN700 31 Jul 2022 21:45 #871430

• TexasKZ
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2053
Without complete disassembly you cannot insure the cleanness of the fuel transfer tubes or passageways and you cannot replace those orings. The same is true for the bowl vents.

See part reference numbers 92005, 92005A, 92005B, and the several 92055s in the diagram.

www.partzilla.com/catalog/kawasaki/motor...uretor-assy-zn700-a2
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Last edit: by TexasKZ.

Need help getting carbs for 1985 Kawasaki ZN700 01 Aug 2022 04:57 #871441

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2673
In addition to what TexasKZ said, the fuel transfer tube O-rings are the ones that get damaged by ozone; they are almost always hard and brittle, crumbling when you try to take them off.

Each carb body should go into some carb dip, once you get all the various parts off.  This includes the pilot screws and all the brass parts.

PS, I might know where you can get another set of carbs for a fair price.  No affiliation.  PM me if you want me to see if they are still available.

Last edit: by Nessism.